2021 Orioles #28 Prospect - Anthony Servideo - INF

Tony-OH

It’s frustrating that Hall, Vavra, Ortiz and Servideo all had their seasons cut short. We’d know so much more about where they really belong on this list if they had played a full season.   

I doubt I would have included Servideo in my top 30 if he ended a full year with a sub-.100 ISO (it was .066 in limited action).    I just don’t think his BA/OBP would stand up with that little pop.   

Spoiler: Hall won't be in the top 30.

As for Servideo, I expected to see a much better defensive profile. I knew his bat wasn't great, but I expected more of a Grenier type of profile. That said, with this profile I might actually take Grenier over Servideo. It's unclear to me why he's listed other than draft position.

That comes with all of the caveats of injury, player development, etc.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Spoiler: Hall won't be in the top 30.

As for Servideo, I expected to see a much better defensive profile. I knew his bat wasn't great, but I expected more of a Grenier type of profile. That said, with this profile I might actually take Grenier over Servideo. It's unclear to me why he's listed other than draft position.

That comes with all of the caveats of injury, player development, etc.

I like the athleticism, plate discipline, and speed of Servideo and he hasn't played enough to show his potential warts. He's got a chance to go out to the outfield and add value and left-handed hitting utility guy who can get on base, steal a base, and be versatile has some value. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And they don’t want to admit they were that wrong about a guy.

I can understand not writing a toolsy prospect off after a bad year, but when there are more red flags than tools, and the performance doesn't match up, you have to be able to adjust. 

But then again, this is how players like Josh Hart stay on some national prospects lists long after they've shown they are not legitimate prospects. If you recall, I was one of the first to be luke warm on Hart (I never even like the videos I saw him at showcase events) then dropped him real low then off the list in two years. Meanwhile I think BA had him at #5 or something.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I can understand not writing a toolsy prospect off after a bad year, but when there are more red flags than tools, and the performance doesn't match up, you have to be able to adjust. 

But then again, this is how players like Josh Hart stay on some national prospects lists long after they've shown they are not legitimate prospects. If you recall, I was one of the first to be luke warm on Hart (I never even like the videos I saw him at showcase events) then dropped him real low then off the list in two years. Meanwhile I think BA had him at #5 or something.

I think it was BP who really loved him.   I recall Stotle posting a rationale for their high ranking of Hart while he was working for BP, even though he wasn’t involved in the ranking.   

As to Hall, I haven’t given up on him, but this year was a definite setback for him and he doesn’t warrant top 30 treatment.  

I have a question that will help me understand these guys are where they are:

Ryan McKenna is limited with the bat, but runs and defends well. I am assuming his ceiling is 4OF And he seems to be there. His -2 and -3 WAR are underwater, but not extremely so, but nobody wants a negative player anywhere, so my question is where would he be on this list?

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have a question that will help me understand these guys are where they are:

Ryan McKenna is limited with the bat, but runs and defends well. I am assuming his ceiling is 4OF And he seems to be there. His -2 and -3 WAR are underwater, but not extremely so, but nobody wants a negative player anywhere, so my question is where would he be on this list?

Well, last year he was no. 27, and just below Servideo.   I’d say he didn’t improve his stock this year.   The speed and good defense were already known.   The issue was whether he’d hit, and he didn’t.   So, I’d say stock mildly down.   He’d be at the bottom of the list, or just off it.   My opinion.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, last year he was no. 27, and just below Servideo.   I’d say he didn’t improve his stock this year.   The speed and good defense were already known.   The issue was whether he’d hit, and he didn’t.   So, I’d say stock mildly down.   He’d be at the bottom of the list, or just off it.   My opinion.  

The reason I asked was to get a sense of how these 20-30 guys would be doing if they were on the big club.