Orioles claim Lucius Fox…But at what cost?

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, Philip said:

So what does this guy have that Mateo doesn’t have?

Some power, basically. But I think it's less about Mateo and more about, is it an upgrade over some of the other depth options (Martin and Jones), and the answer is 'yes'. 

But also, he does have an option.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

Some power, basically. But I think it's less about Mateo and more about, is it an upgrade over some of the other depth options (Martin and Jones), and the answer is 'yes'. 

But also, he does have an option.

Yeah, but if I Mike I’m setting my sights a lot higher.

He’s marginally better than the guys we have, perhaps, although it’s highly probably that better guys are already available.

Isnt being first in the waiver claim process wonderful!

happy happy joy joy…

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah, but if I Mike I’m setting my sights a lot higher.

He’s marginally better than the guys we have, perhaps, although it’s highly probably that better guys are already available.

Isnt being first in the waiver claim process wonderful!

happy happy joy joy…

In waiver limbo? I don't think so, at least as far as middle infielders go. In free agency or via trade, obviously, yes. But that's another story. 

A lot of guys will be hitting the waiver wire today though, so we'll see if any other claims are made. 

Just now, interloper said:

In waiver limbo? I don't think so, at least as far as middle infielders go. In free agency or via trade, obviously, yes. But that's another story. 

A lot of guys will be hitting the waiver wire today though, so we'll see if any other claims are made. 

Yeah I meant today, everybody’s got to clean out their roster by today, and I posted earlier in another thread about the Yankees, who have a full 40 man, and arent going to be able to add everybody without designating one or two worthwhile players.

So yeah, today, at least, I expect better quality dumpster diving from our general manager.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Best The Dark Knight movie character name in baseball.   

Just going off memory, I think his affiliation story had a quirk where he grew up stateside but had Bahamian ancestry that helped him sidestep draft and sign as an international free agent.   He blipped into Baseball Prospectus Top 100 once upon a time as a shortstop, and of course hasn't panned out at that level, hence him being here today.

Well I guess now they have to bring Matt Harvey back

25 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Well I guess now they have to bring Matt Harvey back

I confess my Dark Knight has gotten fuzzy enough I honestly don't know if Legend of Joey was on top of this from the thread title, or if last year's Oriole ~41 Zach Pop has been built up into such a thing that he is Thread Title Valued into a Morgan Freeman quote.

This guy shouldn’t make it through the weekend.  Their are much better players that teams are dropping today to make room for their 40 man rosters.  Tyler Wade in New York would be great utility man plays good defense at SS and 2nd and has great speed.  That bat showed some signs this year as well.  The Yanks also let Clint Frazier go.  He had awful year last year but was having lots of health issues with COVID.  

“Fox, who played in the 2017 All-Star Futures Game, has strong on-base skills along with plus-plus speed and is considered a strong defender, mostly at shortstop, although he has also played second base and center field. He stole a career-high 39 bases in 2019 and got 19 in 57 games in 2021. He has 142 steals in five minor league seasons.

“MLBPipeline.com gave him a 45 grade for his hit tool, but just a 30 for power. He got a 70 run-tool grade while getting 55 grades for both his arm and fielding.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/after-40-man-addition-does-bradish-help-rotation-next-year.html

If those 55 defensive grades are warranted, I can see this move.   I’m not impressed by Martin or Urias at SS and I have reservations about Mateo though I haven’t seen him play enough to have a strong opinion.   So Fox might be a defensive upgrade to those guys.   I’m not at all convinced he can hit enough to warrant a major league job, though.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

“Fox, who played in the 2017 All-Star Futures Game, has strong on-base skills along with plus-plus speed and is considered a strong defender, mostly at shortstop, although he has also played second base and center field. He stole a career-high 39 bases in 2019 and got 19 in 57 games in 2021. He has 142 steals in five minor league seasons.

“MLBPipeline.com gave him a 45 grade for his hit tool, but just a 30 for power. He got a 70 run-tool grade while getting 55 grades for both his arm and fielding.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/after-40-man-addition-does-bradish-help-rotation-next-year.html

If those 55 defensive grades are warranted, I can see this move.   I’m not impressed by Martin or Urias at SS and I have reservations about Mateo though I haven’t seen him play enough to have a strong opinion.   So Fox might be a defensive upgrade to those guys.   I’m not at all convinced he can hit enough to warrant a major league job, though.   

I wonder how the rest of the teams from the 2017 All-Star Futures Game are doing?

Please don't take that as in invitation to go look them all up.

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

This guy shouldn’t make it through the weekend.  Their are much better players that teams are dropping today to make room for their 40 man rosters.  Tyler Wade in New York would be great utility man plays good defense at SS and 2nd and has great speed.  That bat showed some signs this year as well.  The Yanks also let Clint Frazier go.  He had awful year last year but was having lots of health issues with COVID.  

I don't think Clint Frazier is worth his own thread, but he is another example of a freely available player where if you want to flirt with the PR challenge of gifting Mancini free agency, it is arguably better for future Orioles to give Frazier 500 at-bats and his $2.25M cot's guess and have two more years of Club control, and see if anything comes from a no-pressure, everyday lineup spot for awhile.

Or just have both and really push the Stewart/McKenna guy out of the MLB picture.

I will be glad if Frazier becomes an O, since Toronto Clemens, I've always been a little sentimental about scenarios where talents can grind their axes in division against the ones that didn't value them like they valued themselves.   Of course Clemens may have had some help fueling his "I'll show you" performances.

• Upvote 1