Some Intriguing prospects up for Rule 5 grabs (in my opinion):

DocJJ

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I feel like we are adding one veteran catcher plus AR to the 40 man. I feel like we add a middle infielder as well, probably a SS. 

Idk. Yes before OD we will have to have 2 catchers on the 40 man and on the 26 man, pending AR. However, I don’t see us signing any players to guaranteed MLB deals over the offseason. 

Remmeber for every player we sign to an MLB deal, we then have to DFA someone from the 40 man. 

We might not sign and IF at all and roll with what we have. After all, there’s a reason Ritchie Martin and Bannon are still here. If Grenier stays, are AAA depth is decent. Especially after picking Fox off of waivers. 

The truth about the rule 5 is that players like Mateo, Guiterrez, Fox, and Garcia, are better than any rule 5 player we could pick up and they have options. 

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could easily stash a catcher and the OF from the Sox. Catcher wise we lose nothing. AR is the only one on the 40 man now. OF wise we have impending trades of Santander and Mancini. McKenna could always go to AAA. The Res Sox OF could fill the McKenna role and then we have another high upside piece for the future. 

I'm not sure if that's right...I thought last year 9-man bullpens and 3-man benches with rosters at 26 became the day to day for many teams?   One capable reserve feels thin even by Brandon Hyde's Orioles standards, though that 2023 draft could be extra nice.

With that being said, GM's should have a view of whatever roster modifications the CBA brings to let them know how much stashing can practically be done.   I am hoping pitcher roster limits get narrowed some as part of nudging the balance of the game back towards batters.   

I think even the world's 200-300 best pitchers in the Union might be amenable to this, the Brewers and Rays have kind of proven how effectiveness can be atomized to the world's 301st - 1000th best pitchers one inning at a time if you let them.   It isn't good news for fourth and fifth starters.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I'm not sure if that's right...I thought last year 9-man bullpens and 3-man benches with rosters at 26 became the day to day for many teams?   One capable reserve feels thin even by Brandon Hyde's Orioles standards, though that 2023 draft could be extra nice.

With that being said, GM's should have a view of whatever roster modifications the CBA brings to let them know how much stashing can practically be done.   I am hoping pitcher roster limits get narrowed some as part of nudging the balance of the game back towards batters.   

I think even the world's 200-300 best pitchers in the Union might be amenable to this, the Brewers and Rays have kind of proven how effectiveness can be atomized to the world's 301st - 1000th best pitchers one inning at a time if you let them.   It isn't good news for fourth and fifth starters.

I think we can and we should, but I’ve come to accept that we’re going to be closer to the #1 pick than we will be to 81 wins in 2022. So I say shoot for the 2023 run and beyond. 

I think we select two in the rule 5. I’d like to see us sacrifice some in the short term(like we have a choice) and target some high upside players for 2023+. We could go with the SP from the LAA, since we know that system, or go with the OF from the Sawx. Then go with one of the Carchers. I’m willing to punt the backup OF spot, backup C spot and a bullpen spot for the future. I’d go Red Sox OF and one of the Catchers. The C position could become a Weiters/Joseph type situation for us. Then if you take the Sawx OF you add a legit CF to our plethora of COF. 

Grow the bats, buy the arms. At least until we’re ready to compete. Which isn’t 2022. 

Does anybody here really believe we'll see a Rule 5 draft on December 5th?  If owners and players hammer out a new CBA agreement a week or two before spring training then I'm not optimistic they will bother with a Rule 5 draft this off-season.  It's still okay to speculate.  What else is their for a basball fan to do this time of the year?

7 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Some interesting guys there, though I can't imagine Mike would take a catcher.

Last year before the Rule 5 draft, I read a lot of articles that detailed the best prospects available. I don't think Sceroler or Wells were even mentioned. It's very unpredictable. This year, I think I'll just wait and see who Mike takes and then look them up.

Why do you think he would not take a catcher?

45 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Does anybody here really believe we'll see a Rule 5 draft on December 5th?  If owners and players hammer out a new CBA agreement a week or two before spring training then I'm not optimistic they will bother with a Rule 5 draft this off-season.  It's still okay to speculate.  What else is their for a basball fan to do this time of the year?

Because the rule five only involves minor leaguers, I think there’s every reason to expect that it will take place, and it might be a little bit more exciting this year because it might be the only game in town.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Remmeber for every player we sign to an MLB deal, we then have to DFA someone from the 40 man. 

That’s not a handicap at all, we still have several guys that could go. Probably the best of the potential departures is Stewart, And nobody will shed a tear when he leaves. Also, every waiver guy we pick up instantly himself becomes at risk for being dumped.

7 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Having 2 rookie catchers for the young pitching stuff isn't ideal. I think signing a glove-first veteran to work with Adley and help the young pitchers makes sense.

They've got coaches.

I think the analytics department does a lot of the heavy lifting that veteran catchers used to do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Having 2 rookie catchers for the young pitching stuff isn't ideal. I think signing a glove-first veteran to work with Adley and help the young pitchers makes sense.

I see the logic in that, on the other hand, I doubt Mike would pass up the opportunity to get a worthwhile catcher if it presented itself.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we can and we should, but I’ve come to accept that we’re going to be closer to the #1 pick than we will be to 81 wins in 2022. So I say shoot for the 2023 run and beyond. 

Well, maybe, but I’m not so sure.  Last year 52 wins got the no. 1 pick.    67 wins would be closer to 81 wins than 52.   I’d really hope we can put together a team that can win more than that.   

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Because the rule five only involves minor leaguers, I think there’s every reason to expect that it will take place, and it might be a little bit more exciting this year because it might be the only game in town.

But you’re taking minor leaguers who would be eligible to play in the event of a work stoppage and making them ineligible by placing them on ML rosters. 

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But you’re taking minor leaguers who would be eligible to play in the event of a work stoppage and making them ineligible by placing them on ML rosters. 

That’s a good point. I wonder how they will handle that situation. Logically it seems the simplest way to deal with it just to delay it until there is a resolution.

Perhaps they could have the draft, but delay adding the new kids to the roster until the new CBA is adopted?

Edited by Philip