What other minor leaguers do you want to know about?

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Teter and Sparks maybe? Is Sparks vulnerable to the minor league phase of the Rule V? I haven't seen either of them play. 

Teter had a nice start to his professional career but he wasn't able to tap into his raw power for playable game power enough for me. He'll play at 23 next year so he'll need to get up to AA next year while hitting for power to get on the prospect scene.

I like some of Sparks tools, especially the arm, and 2021 was a big year for him to stay on the field an play without injury. Unfortunately though, his middling power numbers, average and plate discipline wasn't enough to put up him on the scene. Like Teter, he's 23 next year so he'll need to really move to keep getting priority playing time. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Teter and Sparks maybe? Is Sparks vulnerable to the minor league phase of the Rule V? I haven't seen either of them play. 

Darn, I think we’re going to lose Sparks then. Finally, after years of waiting for a big year. 

@Tony-OHwhat’s the deal with Fenter? Does he 1 IP relief potential or is he just a guy that never recovered from surgery?  Also what about recent draftee Colin Burns?  Did he just struggle too much in his first taste of pro ball?

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Darn, I think we’re going to lose Sparks then. Finally, after years of waiting for a big year. 

@Tony-OHwhat’s the deal with Fenter? Does he 1 IP relief potential or is he just a guy that never recovered from surgery?  Also what about recent draftee Colin Burns?  Did he just struggle too much in his first taste of pro ball?

That's doubtful. I don't know what roster he has to be protected on but I'll imagine he will be placed on that roster to keep him protected. 

Fenter is another guy that just struggles to find consistency and his stuff fell off for a me a bit though I never really had good video of him him previously. 

Burns has a decent slap hitting line drive approach at the plate and can look smooth at times in the field, but he made way too many errors and there's really not much pop there at all. A good year though could potentially get him on the scene as a utility guy.

• Thanks 1

I’m interested whether you’ve heard anything about Junior Lara, who did well in the DSL after getting a late start.   Also, I’m curious what went on with Elio Prado, who was acquired in the Cashner trade, didn’t play this season, but did attend Fall instructs I believe.   I know you won’t have seen either one, but I wonder if Koby Perez had anything to say about either of them.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m interested whether you’ve heard anything about Junior Lara, who did well in the DSL after getting a late start.   Also, I’m curious what went on with Elio Prado, who was acquired in the Cashner trade, didn’t play this season, but did attend Fall instructs I believe.   I know you won’t have seen either one, but I wonder if Koby Perez had anything to say about either of them.   

Lara is a small, average tool player who hit well in his first professional taste. We'll have to see how he progresses up the chain. I didn't hear anything about Prado. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Curious about TT Bowens. His offensive numbers at two levels of A-ball weren't outstanding by any stretch, and he's a bit old for the level, but seems like he physically "looks the part" of a masher at 1B/DH.

Bowens certainly has the look and physicality of a player of interest, but he just doesn't do anything well enough to be of interest at a high level. A low average with bad plate discipline is a major league red flag unfortunately. 

I had posted on some of the draftees in another thread. You've already addressed a few of them, but here are a few more with my quick comments. Not sure if any are interesting or not...

Billy Cook - 10th rounder, extreme flyball guy (.33 GO/AO), showed some power
Justin Armbruester - 12th, good results in Delmarva 16 k in 9 IP
Daniel Lloyd - over slot, 14th round
Peter Van Loon - 16th round senior pitcher, decent results

Any thoughts on Maverick Handley or Andrew Daschbach?   Is Handley’s defense as good as some have claimed, and does he have an eventual possible path to the majors despite a light stick?   Daschbach had an .800+ OPS at both Aberdeen and Bowie, though his BA at Bowie was low and he got to .800 OPS with walks and power.  Pretty high whiff rate at both levels.   

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I had posted on some of the draftees in another thread. You've already addressed a few of them, but here are a few more with my quick comments. Not sure if any are interesting or not...

Billy Cook - 10th rounder, extreme flyball guy (.33 GO/AO), showed some power
Justin Armbruester - 12th, good results in Delmarva 16 k in 9 IP
Daniel Lloyd - over slot, 14th round
Peter Van Loon - 16th round senior pitcher, decent results

Cook hit half his homers in one game (quite the game). Decent power, but plate discipline suggests he will struggle at high levels.

Armbruster is a fastball (93) curveball guy with a short arm delivery that may add in some deception. Fastball looks pretty true though the curveball gets so nice bit at times. Looks like an org guy to me. Pure relief.

Lloyd was a guy who thought enough of himself to be one of the last guys signed and at 20 years old, he had some leverage. I only saw him a few outings and he was around 93 MPH on his fastball according to the broadcaster. It may have a little run but I didn't have great angels. The slider may be a cutter because there is very little break. He also threw what may have been a curveball at some point or a downward breaking slider, but hard to tell. At this point he's not overly interesting as a prospect.

Van Loon I actually like a little better than the other two despite being a 16th rounder. He's a strike thrower, fastball around 93, throws a curve, slider and chance with his curve being the best of the three off-speed pitches. He'll be 23 next year so you would like to see him move quickly and have success against more mature hitters. The curve can be a strike out pitch at times but didn't see a lot of swing and miss on any of his pitches in the zone. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Any thoughts on Maverick Handley or Andrew Daschbach?   Is Handley’s defense as good as some have claimed, and does he have an eventual possible path to the majors despite a light stick?   Daschbach had an .800+ OPS at both Aberdeen and Bowie, though his BA at Bowie was low and he got to .800 OPS with walks and power.  Pretty high whiff rate at both levels.   

Handley is what he was advertised defensively but he can't hit. Probably the best overall defender at catcher in the system, better than Rutschman especially throwing, but he's been pretty much a zero at the plate. 

Daschbach is a bit of stiff power guy for me. More muscle power than quick bat, he did show nice power at Bowie but it came at a price. Not sure he's going to be able to show a consistent enough stick for 1B and he's Mancini like outfielder.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1