I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Matt Boyd is a reason why you look to trade Means.  

Wish you would explain your statements made as fact.  Why?  Because he's a cautionary tale about pitcher injuries?  Or because he might be available to pitch in June, or later?  Or you really like a pitcher that will be 31, coming off an injury, and averaging 1.09 WAR (bRef) per year for his career?

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Wish you would explain your statements made as fact.  Why?  Because he's a cautionary tale about pitcher injuries?  Or because he might be available to pitch in June, or later?  Or you really like a pitcher that will be 31, coming off an injury, and averaging 1.09 WAR (bRef) per year for his career?

Because they have some similarities in stats, age, injuries…and now that Boyd has gotten expensive, his team doesn’t want to pay him.

He was involved in trade talks for a while in the late 2010s but Detroit never pulled the trigger.  I bet they with they had now.  You now lost a player that was a real asset for you and you got nothing from him.

Thats the risk of holding onto these types of guys.  Sometimes this comes out of nowhere and it just kind of what it is but when there are signs of things that could be problematic, sometimes it’s best to make sure you get something for the player than not.

Personally, I think I likely am holding onto Means but Boyd does provide a cautionary tale as to why they shouldn’t.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because they have some similarities in stats, age, injuries…and now that Boyd has gotten expensive, his team doesn’t want to pay him.

He was involved in trade talks for a while in the late 2010s but Detroit never pulled the trigger.  I bet they with they had now.  You now lost a player that was a real asset for you and you got nothing from him.

Thats the risk of holding onto these types of guys.  Sometimes this comes out of nowhere and it just kind of what it is but when there are signs of things that could be problematic, sometimes it’s best to make sure you get something for the player than not.

Personally, I think I likely am holding onto Means but Boyd does provide a cautionary tale as to why they shouldn’t.

Also, it worked out in the sense that they held onto Boyd and now are ready to compete. However, pitchers get hurt all the time. So we could hold on to Means, and still be the wrong move. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Also, it worked out in the sense that they held onto Boyd and now are ready to compete. However, pitchers get hurt all the time. So we could hold on to Means, and still be the wrong move. 

Not if you have special knowledge and insight that comes from guessing on the internet.

You're always right on the internet..

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But they aren’t going to compete   WITH him unless they are able to bring him back at a cheaper price.  So, he isn’t helping with that.

And yes, pitchers do get hurt..especially those with a track record of it, ala Means..which is the point.

And sure, they could hold onto Means and it be the wrong move.  They could trade him and it be the wrong move.  You just have to go with the odds and do what you feel is best.  My guess is the offers for him won’t be enough to trade him.  I would gamble a little bit on him but that’s more because we need pitching although I would also be trying to do more to win sooner, so since that’s not the case, trading him now may make the most sense.

Means is two years younger than Boyd and just starting arbitration.  HIs injuries have been relatively minor and not required surgery or extended stays on the IL.  I have no problem with trading him if you get a good deal that makes the team better over the long term.  And, I have no problem keeping him if we don't get that offer.  The only obviously wrong answer would be to trade him for inferior players just to save on his first arb year salary.

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Means is two years younger than Boyd and just starting arbitration.  HIs injuries have been relatively minor and not required surgery or extended stays on the IL.  I have no problem with trading him if you get a good deal that makes the team better over the long term.  And, I have no problem keeping him if we don't get that offer.  The only obviously wrong answer would be to trade him for inferior players just to save on his first arb year salary.

But he is the age Boyd was when Boyd was pitching better.  

I agree with your last sentence.  I will say, as much as I worry about this team being cheap, I don’t think they will go that far.  Non tendering Santander is possible though and I think that would be a poor move.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree with your last sentence.  I will say, as much as I worry about this team being cheap, I don’t think they will go that far.  Non tendering Santander is possible though and I think that would be a poor move.

I "think" (but who knows?) that they'll tender a contract to Santander, but, I could see Fry being non-tendered.  We have lots of young lefties that could take his role in the bullpen. 

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I "think" (but who knows?) that they'll tender a contract to Santander, but, I could see Fry being non-tendered.  We have lots of young lefties that could take his role in the bullpen. 

I don’t disagree.  I would be upset if they non tender Fry…not because of that decision in a vacuum but because they held onto him at the deadline and Elias said trades weren’t made because they liked these guys and felt they could part of the next winning team.  If they go from thinking that in late July to thinking he’s not good enough to tender a contract, it shows incredibly flawed decision making and judgment by Elias.

Dont get me wrong, mistakes are made and evaluations can be wrong in the moment.  But he has seen Fry for a while now.  If he is going to allow w few awful months to change his mind that quickly, I think that’s a little worrisome.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, Steve Cohen isn’t fooling around.   

They had to do it to convince him to come back to the east coast.  He wanted to go out west.

Cohen is going to learn that you can’t buy a title though. 

Still, he has arguably the 2 best pitchers in baseball in his rotation now.