Any surprise non tenders for the Os today?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really hope they don't non-tender Lopez. I think he's going to be pretty valuable in the 'pen this year and it doesn't hurt that he could spot start in a pinch. This team really needs relievers. And if he pitches as well as I expect as a reliever, he's a decent trade candidate. 

I forgot about Lopez. I would not lose any sleep if they let him go. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really hope they don't non-tender Lopez. I think he's going to be pretty valuable in the 'pen this year and it doesn't hurt that he could spot start in a pinch. This team really needs relievers. And if he pitches as well as I expect as a reliever, he's a decent trade candidate. 

It would be pretty stupid to non tender Lopez. He was good in that role, just shouldn’t face anyone twice. But he can eat some innings out of the pen, which we will apparently need. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

No doubt the primary reason.

But it would be less than honest of me to say that sometimes a tragic story and personal suffering doesn't sway my decisions.

I do like the guy and he really gutted through nearly the whole season for us while dealing with some tough stuff. 

It was a strange sequence for Fry last year.   Through June 18 he held a 1.78 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and had been very dominant.   Then they announced the crackdown on sticky substances and that seemed to throw him for a loop temporarily, as he threw to a 10.74 ERA and a 1.95 WHIP between then and the all star break over 8 appearances.   I think that pretty much wrecked his trade value because teams were worried about whether he could pitch in the new environment.   But oddly, he turned it around for a bit after the all star break, turning in five straight scoreless appearances before the deadline and another three just afterwards, for a total of 8.1 IP with 1 hit and 3 walks.   Apparently the first five weren’t enough to restore his trade value, or the O’s just weren’t eager to trade him.   But then he imploded again, pitching to an ERA of 27.00 in his final 10 appearances, which included 15 walks in 5.2 IP.

It’s really confusing whether the sticky stuff crackdown was the cause of his problems, given that really excellent stretch he had right after the all star break.   He certainly denies that, but what’s he going to say?

To me, his upside is worth the $1-1.5 mm it will take to retain him.  

The precise example numbers Goldstein gave in his chat yesterday had me wondering if he'd been texting with Elias or Sig before hopping on the chat.    This year is simultaneous with the free agent frenzy, but most offseasons tender deadline day is one I think of where a decent amount of arbitration-avoiding deals get struck, but To Do lists these last 12 hours may be more crowded than usual.    Jesus Aguilar and Josh Bell are the Mancini types some places have labeled non-tender candidates.

1:15
Jeb: May you please educate me – if a team plans on non-tendering a player, why not release them beforehand to free up a 40-man spot? Is it just a matter of getting more time to negotiate with the player?

1:16
Kevin Goldstein: For the most part. You might not think a player is worth the $8 million he’s going to get as a tendered player, but you’d be happy to have him for $6m, so you take your shot.

11 minutes ago, owknows said:

Life-threatening congenital condition for his son.

consequences of which peaked during last season.

Oh I don’t think I heard about that. Hopefully he recovers.

I appreciated Lopez for how he took the ball every 5 days and gave a professional effort. He wasn’t in the proper role, but it seemed like he took one for the team to eat innings. He needs a chance to show what he can do in a 1-2 inning role. 

Rich Dubroff's take is that Santander, Scott and Fry will all be traded.   Unless he thinks that will happen today (which I doubt) then they all have to be tendered to stick around for those trades.

I don't really see that happening.  Its a little early to trade Santander until Stowers  dominants at AAA and earns a promotion.  And there is plenty of room with Stewart and McKenna both having options.     So I see Santander with the O's on opening day.

Scott and Fry have not proved indispensable but Elias needs to have left handed replacements for them before trading or DFAing them.   Cionel Perez has 6.04 ERA in 50 major league innings which does not guarantee  him a spot in the pen on opening day.  So until Elias has replacements I think both Scott and Fry stay.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/11/30/happens-arbitration-eligible-orioles/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rich Dubroff's take is that Santander, Scott and Fry will all be traded.   Unless he thinks that will happen today (which I doubt) then they all have to be tendered to stick around for those trades.

I don't really see that happening.  Its a little early to trade Santander until Stowers  dominants at AAA and earns a promotion.  And there is plenty of room with Stewart and McKenna both having options.     So I see Santander with the O's on opening day.

Scott and Fry have not proved indispensable but Elias needs to have left handed replacements for them before trading or DFAing them.   Cionel Perez has 6.04 ERA in 50 major league innings which does not guarantee  him a spot in the pen on opening day.  So until Elias has replacements I think both Scott and Fry stay.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/11/30/happens-arbitration-eligible-orioles/

I'm certainly not going to Rich for my Orioles predictions. He's a good dude, but... yeah nahhh. 

The O's could surprise us with a trade today, but certainly not 3. At least not until after the CBA. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm certainly not going to Rich for my Orioles predictions. He's a good dude, but... yeah nahhh. 

The O's could surprise us with a trade today, but certainly not 3. At least not until after the CBA. 

You can see I disagree with Rich, so I know what you are saying.    But he puts his opinion out there to be discussed.