MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Shhh, you'll upset the player people who think there is no way the player peasants can work for $700k minimum wage and make ends meet. And good Lord, implement an international draft?? The horrors!! Let's miss games!

Come on. 

First, no one anywhere has Said anything about making ends meet. That’s an exaggeration and misrepresentation. 

Second, it’s not like anyone is rooting for the players to an extent to where they’re happy about missing games and think this is a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

Trying to understand the international draft concern.  This is what I got. 

• If you eliminate the current shady industry that represents and develops young players and replace it with a draft there will be less development opportunities for young players.
  • Teams will also be less compelled to run the academies, because they can't get control of those players.  They would develop players for other teams to draft.
  • The money would be there for the players, but not for development.

Is this correct?

47 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Trying to understand the international draft concern.  This is what I got. 

• If you eliminate the current shady industry that represents and develops young players and replace it with a draft there will be less development opportunities for young players.
  • Teams will also be less compelled to run the academies, because they can't get control of those players.  They would develop players for other teams to draft.
  • The money would be there for the players, but not for development.

Is this correct?

Take a look at what happened to Puerto Rico's youth baseball when they got added to the draft.

Here’s the thing that bugs me here.

Ortiz, using him as an example, said he is not against the draft but wants it figured out and done right.

The worry for those guys is that the sport, which means so much to the country, dies off if you do this.  

Whether or not they are right is up for debate but it makes sense to say, let’s figure this out and make sure everyone is happy here.

This seems like an overall silly thing to stop you from having games.  I’m not trying to act like the Latin players are wrong but I tend to agree with Tony when I say, they shouldn’t have any say in this.  These aren’t players in the union.  

I think there should be some kind of a compromise here where you can get this done and someone like David Ortiz is a front man in all of it to make sure the kids get taken care of.

Seems like this is a bit rushed and no one knows how to properly do it, so it’s holding everything up.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the holdup on the international draft.  I agree in part that the players being considered to be drafted are not part of the union so...whatever.

I also don't know if I agree on an international draft to begin with.  Speaking as a fan who's team ignored the international markets for decades, either you're in the market or you're not.  I don't always believe legislation and rules are the answer to everything but again, whatever.  

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't understand the holdup on the international draft.  I agree in part that the players being considered to be drafted are not part of the union so...whatever.

I also don't know if I agree on an international draft to begin with.  Speaking as a fan who's team ignored the international markets for decades, either you're in the market or you're not.  I don't always believe legislation and rules are the answer to everything but again, whatever.  

I'm ignorant on the finer details of the International market.  I'm glad the Orioles finally jumped in but it seems like a broken/corrupt system so I get wanting to clean it up.  It's possible the owners have some other nefarious intent.  I don't know.  What I do know is those kids are not part of the union and I'm having trouble getting beyond that point.  I made mention of high school players yesterday and whether the union was going to discuss them next.  My sons play at that 13 and 11 age groups so maybe Tony Clark will call me next week to discuss the oppressions of youth travel baseball.

It also seems very hypocritical to express concern about the ID - from both sides - when we had minor league players sleeping in cars last year.  I pretty much hate everyone in this dispute now.  Looking at the latest proposals yesterday, they seem to basically match, so it appears they haven't agreed yet out of spite.  Awesome.  They'll agree today and start the season around the 15th so they can pretend to care about Jackie Robinson's 75th.  What a bunch of a$$holes.

• Upvote 2

Whether its the international players or minor league players, or development of the game at the amateur games (including the lack of black players) baseball needs to take a lot of time and make significant structural changes to the pre-pro baseball world.  

They need an equitable international market balanced against sustainable Latin American development

They need to pay minor leaguers more than "$8000 to $12,000" per year (ESPN)

They need to support little leagues, and promote the game and their players more.

That said, these are tough nuts to crack, and I dont know that solving these issues is something that should be solved in the collective bargaining process.  MLB wants to make the change and then figure it out and thats motivated by money - not the health of the game - and thats my biggest problem with the whole process this off season.

The good news is that they are still talking.

April 15 is the 75th anniversary for Jackie Robinson.  Are they really going to miss games on that day, in this day and age? 

Also, I saw a good point being brought up.  Why is Ortiz even involved?  He’s out of the union.  Gotta wonder if there is something in it for him w/r/t how things are done down there.