MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

MLB now cancels preseason games scheduled for March 5, 6, and 7.   

The Orioles do not have a preseason game on March 8, so our schedule is now set to begin on Wednesday, March 9, with two split squad games:  hosting the TIgers in Sarasota and visiting the Rays in Port Charlotte.

Mark your calendars accordingly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

MLB now cancels preseason games scheduled for March 5, 6, and 7.   

The Orioles do not have a preseason game on March 8, so our schedule is now set to begin on Wednesday, March 9, with two split squad games:  hosting the TIgers in Sarasota and visiting the Rays in Port Charlotte.

Mark your calendars accordingly.

The home games on March 11th and 13th (and some others later in the month) have "SS" written on the schedule, but there is just one game on those days. Why would there be a split-squad if there's only one game being played on those dates?

36 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

The home games on March 11th and 13th (and some others later in the month) have "SS" written on the schedule, but there is just one game on those days. Why would there be a split-squad if there's only one game being played on those dates?

Don't know for sure, maybe it is a split squad for the opponent??

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it isn't.

It's about letting owners get away with spending less and keeping more.

No one involved is actually worried about competitive balance. 

The owners just want an excuse to spend less.

If Baltimore cared about "competitive balance" why wouldn't they be for a balanced schedule?  That would help balance competition.  They aren't for it because it would mean less home games against the Red Sox and Yankees and less seats sold for premium prices.

This is a good point. But of course, we don't know exactly where the Orioles stand on issues because John Angelos is like his father when it comes to talking to the fans. Like his father, he's a guy who thinks he is above the common fan.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a good point. But of course, we don't know exactly where the Orioles stand on issues because John Angelos is like his father when it comes to talking to the fans. Like his father, he's a guy who thinks he is above the common fan.

Honestly, I prefer an owner who mostly keeps his mouth shut.   And I’m sure MLB doesn’t want each individual owner stating their views on CBA issues publicly.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I prefer an owner who mostly keeps his mouth shut.   And I’m sure MLB doesn’t want each individual owner stating their views on CBA issues publicly.

It depends what the topic is.  I don’t mind them using Elias as the mouth piece.  I don’t need a Jerry Jones.

But to go back to the point made by CoC about the schedule, if they really cared, that’s the type of thing they should be talking about.  But let’s face it, they don’t care.  You don’t hear Angelos complaining about the economics.  Sure, Elias has hinted at it but overall, this ownership group doesn’t care.  They are in this for money.  They aren’t in it as fans or because they care about the city or anything like that.

Its an investment and one that has paid off very well for them.  

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

They need to sit down and get this done instead of taking the night off. Negotiate 24 hours if you have to. 

Unfortunately Bob Nightengale just tweeted that negotiations have ended for the day, and he said:

"Sounds like small movement today but not major in labor talks."

Edited by rm5678