O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank goodness it is over. This team does not need Pie. Thye ahve enough OFers. I would hold on to Olson. THe team needs pitchng. IMO

I agree. Good riddance. Pie's stock has slipped seriously...I think it's more likely that Olson gets more consistent command of his stuff and becomes a decent starting pitcher than that Pie figures out the strike zone.

Olson was pretty awful for most of last year, but he was quite effective in April and May, both at AAA and in Baltimore, when he was able to throw all of his pitches for strikes and spot his fastball on the corners. He just needs consistent command, and his minor league track record suggests that he should eventually gain that consistency.

You would do well to keep an eye on what Mark DeRosa gets traded for, if he gets traded as part of this Peavy thing.

One year of Roberts @ $8M isn't worth a whole lot more than DeRosa @ $5.5M.

Roberts is a top 5 major league leadoff man. Derosa is not! Roberts will extend if the team he is traded to is a contender. The Orioles could give a window to sign a extension. amd I'm sure they would.

Roberts is a top 5 major league leadoff man. Derosa is not! Roberts will extend if the team he is traded to is a contender. The Orioles could give a window to sign a extension. amd I'm sure they would.

Roberts has speed and bats leadoff, DeRosa has more power and can play 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and 1B and makes $2.5 million less. Roberts is more valuable, but the difference isn't as great as you think.

Roberts has speed and bats leadoff, DeRosa has more power and can play 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and 1B and makes $2.5 million less. Roberts is more valuable, but the difference isn't as great as you think.

BRob is worth around 2-4 more wins per year than DeRosa...That is a big difference.

BTW, their career slugging % is virtually identical.

BRob is worth around 2-4 more wins per year than DeRosa...That is a big difference.

BTW, their career slugging % is virtually identical.

No he isn't. We've been through this before.

WARP is a counting stat so Roberts only looks better because he benefits from hundreds more PAs. As soon as you take the step to normalize for PA's the difference vanishes:

Roberts

2007: 9.0 WARP / 716 PA = 0.0126 per PA

2008: 9.1 WARP / 704 PA = 0.0129 per PA

2Y tot: 18.1 WARP / 1420 PA = 0.0127 per PA

0.0127 x 650 PA = 8.3 WARP

DeRosa

2007: 6.1 WARP / 574 PA = 0.0106 per PA

2008: 8.4 WARP / 593 PA = 0.0142 per PA

2Y tot: 14.5 WARP / 1167 PA = 0.0124 per PA

0.0124 x 650 PA = 8.1 WARP

So the difference is 0.2, not 2-4. And I didn't even have to use Roberts' 2006 numbers. ;)

Oh god, are we STILL having the Roberts v. DeRosa debate? :deadhorse:

How about the 3-way is now a 2-way because SD and the Cubs are dead. How good of a chance to the Angels have of getting Peavy to come play in the AL? They can put together a great package all by themselves, so that being said, what should we try to pry from SD for Olson now?

The only difference is that he is a legitimate leadoff hitter. How many teams dont have a good one???

Dave listed a number of Cubs that the Orioles could take...Suggested that I undervalued all the Cubs players.

I mentioned the reality of the players & this was my follow up thought.

The only difference is that he is a legitimate leadoff hitter. How many teams dont have a good one???

Dave listed a number of Cubs that the Orioles could take...Suggested that I undervalued all the Cubs players.

I mentioned the reality of the players & this was my follow up thought.

Have a look at the numbers I just posted and then try and consider the possibility that DeRosa's play-anywhere versatility is arguably just as valuable as Roberts' leadoff-ability. It's certainly just as scarce, probably moreso.

Who else around baseball does what DeRosa does in the field while OPSing 800+? I'm sure you could name a few guys, but the list would be short.

At the end of the day I have no doubt that Roberts would bring more in a trade, but as I said awhile up, you'd be overestimating the difference if you think it's large, especially considering they're both one-year propositions. JMHO of course. :thumbsup:

BTW have you guys seen the quotes from Axelrod (Peavy's agent) today? Just super-harsh on Towers (and those two guys are actually good friends).

LAS VEGAS -- Padres star pitcher Jake Peavy is "frustrated'' by the team's inability to trade him after threatening to do so for months and "shaken'' over the Padres' latest failure to deal him to the Cubs after weeks of talks, Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod said.

"We tried to cooperate as best we could,'' Axelrod told SI.com in a phone interview. "Frankly, Jake is frustrated now more than ever. And I'm more frustrated than ever.''

Trade talks between the Padres and Cubs broke down with Cubs people complaining about the way San Diego was doing business. But if the Cubs are annoyed (and they are, as several Cubs officials expressed annoyance over the Padres continuing push for more players and the media leaks coming from somewhere that were revelatory about which Cubs were being included in potential deals), Peavy is almost as annoyed.

Axelrod provided Padres GM Kevin Towers, a close personal friend of Axelrod's, with a list of five teams Peavy would consider; Peavy has a blanket no-trade clause meaning he'd have to approve any trade. The Cubs were thought to be at or near the top of Peavy's five-team preferred list. So were the Braves, and talks with them broke down weeks ago.

Axelrod gave Towers guidance with the list of five that also included the Dodgers, Cardinala dn Astros. But he is under no obligation to provide pre-approved lists.

"If they come to us with a trade now, we'll consider it. But there won't be any more lists,'' Axelrod said. "No, we're done with that.''

After weeks of waiting, Axelrod indicated that Peavy was becoming adjusted to the idea of moving to Chicago to become a Cub, only to have that possibility pulled out from under him in the latest Padre failure.

"It's tough. Jake was pretty shaken by it,'' Axelrod said. "He was starting to think about what life was like to be a Chicago Cub, and now that was taken from him.''

All in all, Axelrod was by amazed by the utter waste of the Winter Meetings, where only the Yankees, Mets, Mariners and Indians accomplished anything of note.

"It's amazing to me how many people can waste time, money and resources, and get nothing done," Axelrod said. "Baseball moved lock, stock and barrel into that town, and absolutely nothing happened." - Jon Heyman

LAS VEGAS -– Barry Aexelrod, the agent for Jake Peavy, doesn't sound like a guy who wants his client to stay put.

His take on the Cubs' decision to break off talks is that San Diego Padres' general manager Kevin Towers was unrealistic in his trade demands. He reportedly wanted top prospect Josh Vitters and pitchers Sean Marshall and Angel Guzman, among others, from the Cubs.

"Objectively understanding where you stand with your negotiation position helps you to be successful," Axelrod told Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "The Padres asked for too much."

More Axelrod: "There might have been four or five total teams in baseball [that could assume Peavy's contract]. ... The powers that be are going to have to be a little more objective about their strength in negotiating."

While Towers is saying that Peavy will open 2009 with the Padres, Axelrod expects more trade talks this winter. He has mentioned the San Francisco Giants and New York Yankees as other possibilities, in addition to a possible renewal of talks with the Cubs.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry had been asked earlier about the possibility of the talks being revisited after the end of the winter meetings.

"No idea," Hendry said.

The ball's clearly in the Padres' hands. - Phil Rogers

Archived