O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this afternoon that we are still involved in a potential 3 way deal with the Cubs and Padres. Chicage would not include Cedeno in the deal w/Pie. It it goes down it would probably be Olsen going to the Cubs who will filp him to the Pads. Pie and a prospect will be coming back to the Orioles. No mega deals here folks.....

I was also told Burnett may well be slipping away as we will not match the current contracts he has on the table.

Later

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this afternoon that we are still involved in a potential 3 way deal with the Cubs and Padres. Chicage would not include Cedeno in the deal w/Pie. It it goes down it would probably be Olsen going to the Cubs who will filp him to the Pads. Pie and a prospect will be coming back to the Orioles. No mega deals here folks.....

I was also told Burnett may well be slipping away as we will not match the current contracts he has on the table.

Later

Just heard pretty much the same thing on MLB XM.

As always, thanks BB.

Kinda bummed that we may not get Burnett, but excited about the possibility of getting Pie. I would not trade Olson straight up for Pie, so it depends how good of a prospect is coming back with Pie as to whether it's a good trade or not IMO.

We must have something in the fire for Scott if we're this intent on Pie. We also must have decided that Olson isn't going to be able to handle it mentally/emotionally in the AL East. I'm surprised that MacPhail is considering this trade without getting Cedeno. We must not think that much of him.

I think Cedeno has to go to the Padres in the Peavy trade now that Greene has been traded.

We must have something in the fire for Scott if we're this intent on Pie. We also must have decided that Olson isn't going to be able to handle it mentally/emotionally in the AL East. I'm surprised that MacPhail is considering this trade without getting Cedeno. We must not think that much of him.

So who has a young shortstop we'd want to pick up in exchange for Scott?

If Andy wants Pie for his LT potential, Scott's trade status shouldn't be a prerequisite. It might wind up being more effect than cause.

I was also told Burnett may well be slipping away as we will not match the current contracts he has on the table.Later

What are the O's doing!!!??? I wonder how much PA is influencing this offer?

So if the O's don't get Burnett and trade Olson, tell me again who are going to be starting pitchers for the O's next year?
A completely reasonable concern (and one that I share) -- but not a sufficient one to avoid pulling the trigger on this deal if indeed Andy is convinced that Pie will live up to previously perceived potential. But it's the Burnett side of this news that impacts this situation a whole lot more than the Olson part, as I don't think Olson is a lock to make the rotation even if he's not dealt. He'd be a candidate for a spot, just like all the others.

Archived