O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

Just heard on a cubs board that

Just listening to ESPN1000 and a deal is about to go down between the Cubs/Phillies/Padres

Cubs get:

Jake Peavy

Padres get:

Kevin Hart

Jason Marquis (Cubs eat portion of contract)

Josh Vitters

Phillies prospects (I think Happ is one of them)

Phillies get:

Mark DeRosa

Looks like no Olson for Pie :(

If this is the deal, then the Padres took it because they were backed into a corner by Peavy and Hendry had to save more money to take on the contract. The total package to the Padres is weaker and they save less money. The Cubs keep Marshall and Cedeno but have more payroll for their LH bat. I still think that losing DeRosa is big, but Hendry probably just needed the cash.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happ is fairly similar to Olson, but I generally agree with you. Marquis going to SD makes little sense to me.

Marquis going to SD is surely less than ideal for them, but IMO it's quite possible that Towers has known from day 1 that Hendry has to ditch Marquis for this thing to work, and Towers agreed to take him rather than lose the deal completely.

Not that I know this to be the case, mind you, but it does seem a reasonable scenario.

Marquis going to SD is surely less than ideal for them, but IMO it's quite possible that Towers has known from day 1 that Hendry has to ditch Marquis for this thing to work, and Towers agreed to take him rather than lose the deal completely.

Not that I know this to be the case, mind you, but it does seem a reasonable scenario.

I can certainly see the scenario you outline here being true, but not if Marquis is in place of another younger pitcher.

If its "you get the young pitcher you want, but we need you to take Marquis and half his contract", that makes sense to me. But if its "We know you want this young, inexpensive pitcher, but we need to dump Marquis' money to make this work, lets switch them out for each other" then it doesn't make sense to me.

Hmmm....

Here is a recent blog entry on MLB.com. Where a Cubs' sources says Derosa is not going anywhere.

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/cubs_derosa_is_staying_put.html

This put the O's back in the circle, because if the third team is the Philies, Derosa will need to be moved.

Pie Cedeno and Marquis for Olson (lopsided but makes sense for the Cubs if they keep Derosa).

I just cannot see the Cubs trading DeRosa. He is just too valuable to that team.

Fontenot may be able to fill the same role for a fraction of the cost....So, they can get rid of some more salary that way.

I still will be very surprised if the Orioles aren't involved in this...Bigbird heard we would take Marquis.

I can certainly see the scenario you outline here being true, but not if Marquis is in place of another younger pitcher.

If its "you get the young pitcher you want, but we need you to take Marquis and half his contract", that makes sense to me. But if its "We know you want this young, inexpensive pitcher, but we need to dump Marquis' money to make this work, lets switch them out for each other" then it doesn't make sense to me.

Right...and if the Cubs can get Peavy for Marquis, DeRosa, Hart and Vitters, that should be voided by MLB because that is a joke.

I still see something like this:

Cubs get: Peavy

Orioles get: Pie, Marquis, 4 million

Phils get: DeRosa

Pads get: Happ, Marshall, Cedeno, Vitters, Olson...perhaps another guy from Philly?

This put the O's back in the circle, because if the third team is the Philies, Derosa will need to be moved.

Pie Cedeno and Marquis for Olson (lopsided but makes sense for the Cubs if they keep Derosa).

Not too lopsided and good for the Cubbies if we take on ALL of Marquis' salary.

Or if will include Freel to flip to the Phillies.

Right. That report, if there is any truth to it, would make it seem as though the O's would still need to be a part of this. Like you say, the Twins or Phills would only be in this for DeRosa.

What is weird is that the blog entry still does not even mention the O's as part of the deal going forward. Part of me wants to think that that is just the O's getting overlooked, but I'm not sure if that is really the case.

I don't really know what to think. It just seems to be more wait and see like we went through with Bedard last year.

If the deal does go through, with the O's involved, DeRosa involved, or not, I imagine it will look exactly like Sportsguy wrote above. That seems to make the most sense based on all the reports that have been circulation.

If DeRosa is indeed "not going anywhere" then nothing really changes from the O's perspective.

Right...and if the Cubs can get Peavy for Marquis, DeRosa, Hart and Vitters, that should be voided by MLB because that is a joke.

I still see something like this:

Cubs get: Peavy

Orioles get: Pie, Marquis, 4 million

Phils get: DeRosa

Pads get: Happ, Marshall, Cedeno, Vitters, Olson...perhaps another guy from Philly?

The Cubs are not going to pay that much, and the Pads are not going to get that much.

That "voided by MLB" comment makes me think you will be surprised when/if this actually happens. Towers is over a barrel here.

The Cubs are not going to pay that much, and the Pads are not going to get that much.

That "voided by MLB" comment makes me think you will be surprised when/if this actually happens. Towers is over a barrel here.

The Cubs aren't giving up much there...They are giving up 6 players and Marquis doesn't really count.

Hell, even DeRosa doesn't count all that much. It is just for money.

The only player they lose that really hurts them is Vitters.

As for the Pads, that is a deal similar to what the O's got for Bedard, so its not out of the question that they could end up with that.

BBTN stuck with tradition and took the O's out of the deal. They think the Phillies will do the significant offers we want ie. Pads obtaining Pie and Donald.

Wow...tough to argue about that one from the Pads standpoint. They get two young, possible very good players in the deal.

The Cubs aren't giving up much there...They are giving up 6 players and Marquis doesn't really count.

Hell, even DeRosa doesn't count all that much. It is just for money.

The only player they lose that really hurts them is Vitters.

As for the Pads, that is a deal similar to what the O's got for Bedard, so its not out of the question that they could end up with that.

The Pads don't figure to get a deal like Bedard. More like Santana.

The market for Santana was similarly dramatically shrunken by Santana's NTC rights.

Santana was on the verge of a big contract, while Peavy already has one (albeit not AS big), so that factor is similar also.

Pie ~= Gomez

The pitching being mentioned equates favorably with the three guys the Mets sent, especially given all the guys rumored are ML-ready, and IIRC none of the Mets guys were.

Archived