O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if there's one silver lining (at least, for those of us that favored the Olson-Pie swap), the O's were never really in the three team trade. We were simply trading Olson to Chicago for Pie.

Perhaps that deal is still on? :noidea:

The same article in the Tribune lists Marshall as staying in Chicago. That seems to me that Hendry would not want Olson then. But who knows. It may just be two GM's trading prospects that have not panned out yet?

:scratchchinhmm:

I'd just like to know if we decided to step out of the deal or if we were booted out.

If it's the latter, I think that's kinda crappy. :mad:

Sounds like the Cubs realized that they didn't need to involve us in the deal. I mean, they weren't getting anything from us for Pie - they were flipping Olson to San Diego.

Just my own theory but maybe MacPhail is seeing now that SP is more expensive then he first thought. I mean, Garland wants $12 mil a year. So, maybe they feel they atleast have a guy in Olson who atleast has pitched at the major league level, if not that well. I think this is why we hang on to DCab too.

Just my opinion.

Sounds like the Cubs realized that they didn't need to involve us in the deal. I mean, they weren't getting anything from us for Pie - they were flipping Olson to San Diego.

That just sounds crappy to me. Now I really do hope that Olson turns into a stud and Pie... well, bombs. :D

Just my own theory but maybe MacPhail is seeing now that SP is more expensive then he first thought. I mean, Garland wants $12 mil a year. So, maybe they feel they atleast have a guy in Olson who atleast has pitched at the major league level, if not that well. I think this is why we hang on to DCab too.

Just my opinion.

I really hope not ...looks like we could end up with

Guthrie

Uerhara

Cabrera

Olson

Waters

:mad: Anybody else think Tex would sign up for this???? Hopefully Burnett will sign with the O's for a reasonable contract. We can only hope at this point:mad:

If this is the case (and I don't doubt you), I find it amusing somehow that the little ole Orioles are holding up the blockbuster trade of the offseason.

It looks to me that if the O's are part of the deal, Hendry is waiting until all pieces are in place before sending Pie to the O's. The whole point of the O's involvement was sending Olsen to the Padres, so there's no reason to get Olsen unless everything is finalized. Of course that's assuming that the Pie/Olsen deal is just awaiting a phone call to complete it.

This is all still speculation and this thread should probably be merged with the other thread already started by BB.

I just read in the most recent statement from the Brewers' GM that there won't be an announcement until after Thursday's Rule 5 draft and that the deal was looking more close. Also, that a third and possibly fourth team were still involved to make it all work.

I also read that the Phillies were not even aware that they were getting DeRosa?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-10-cubs-winter-meetings-chicdec10,0,4553272.story

Apparently, the Padres are going to pick up most of Marquis contract in the latest iteration of the Peavy deal. DeRosa is going to the Phils. O's not mentioned.

So based on that article the Cubs are only giving up Marquis and $5 Million? Who else are the Cubs sending in the deal?

The O's don't need Pie, and can sign a SP for one year who can put up numbers at least as good, in this market, for a lot less than the money we pay for Marquis.

Care to name a SP that you can sign for 1 year at $5 million that will give you 180+ innings. Marquis is a decent #5 starter (and possibly #4) that is overpaid. Take away the "overpaid" part and you're getting a decent back of the rotation starter.

Did I read that Marquis would replace Marshall?

That doesn't make any sense at all from the Pads perspective. Whether the Cubs eat salary or not, that just seems to be something that is totally wrong.

I bet we are still in this and just aren't mentioned because that is the final piece of the deal and until all the t's are crossed and I's are dotted, mentioning is a pointless activity.

Did I read that Marquis would replace Marshall?

That doesn't make any sense at all from the Pads perspective. Whether the Cubs eat salary or not, that just seems to be something that is totally wrong.

I bet we are still in this and just aren't mentioned because that is the final piece of the deal and until all the t's are crossed and I's are dotted, mentioning is a pointless activity.

Agreed. Not much in the article made sense, and it also didn't say the Orioles were not part of the deal.

Archived