O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

The Pads don't figure to get a deal like Bedard. More like Santana.

The market for Santana was similarly dramatically shrunken by Santana's NTC rights.

Santana was on the verge of a big contract, while Peavy already has one (albeit not AS big), so that factor is similar also.

Pie ~= Gomez

The pitching being mentioned equates favorably with the three guys the Mets sent, especially given all the guys rumored are ML-ready, and IIRC none of the Mets guys were.

I think Gomez was considered a much better prospect than Pie is at the time of the trade. They were pretty similarly rated last year, but Pie struggled this year in the majors and didn't really impress all that much at AAA. He's certainly fallen a bit as a prospect.

I think Gomez and Vitters are pretty good comparisons as far as value goes, IMO.

I do agree that Peavy will bring more of a Santana return than a Bedard return. I don't think many teams will trade as good of a package as we got for Bedard for anybody.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pie ~= Gomez

The pitching being mentioned equates favorably with the three guys the Mets sent, especially given all the guys rumored are ML-ready, and IIRC none of the Mets guys were.

Gomez had a much higher value when he was traded than Pie does now.

From Rotoworld

Padres GM Kevin Towers said he expects to know Thursday whether a Jake Peavy-to-the-Cubs deal is possible or not.

It won't be done by the time they leave the winter meetings, but he should know whether it will get done. "We had more dialog today than any other day," Towers said. "We'll know tomorrow [Thursday]. Before we check out of this hotel ... we'll know if we have a deal. This has been the entire focus of baseball ops." The Phillies are still believed to be the third team in the trade, but Towers thinks a fourth club will be named. No one has shut the door on the possibility of Felix Pie going to the Orioles, with Baltimore sending Garrett Olson to San Diego in the deal.

Looks like the Pads crave Olson. He might be a must in the deal....

I was checking the Cubs players on Fox sports tonight and saw this item.

News: DeRosa could be headed to Minnesota as the Twins may be the third team involved in a trade that would send Jake Peavy to the Cubs, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Does this reopen the Roberts to the Cubs discussions if DeRosa is traded? I would say YES! If the Peavy trade is completed on Thursday do we sign Furcal to play 2B as I mentioned on another post? He is playing 2B in the winter league. There were reports the Cubs might trade Harden if they got Peavy. Money being the main reason. Harden makes $4.8 million. His numbers were great with the Cubs and I could not find any report of him being injured. He was 10-2 with the Cubs after being traded to them and had around a 2.00 ERA. If they add Marquiz to the deal and Pie could a Roberts and Scott deal be in the works?

News: DeRosa could be headed to Minnesota as the Twins may be the third team involved in a trade that would send Jake Peavy to the Cubs, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Does this reopen the Roberts to the Cubs discussions if DeRosa is traded? I would say YES! If the Peavy trade is completed on Thursday do we sign Furcal to play 2B as I mentioned on another post? He is playing 2B in the winter league. There were reports the Cubs might trade Harden if they got Peavy. Money being the main reason. Harden makes $4.8 million. His numbers were great with the Cubs and I could not find any report of him being injured. He was 10-2 with the Cubs after being traded to them and had around a 2.00 ERA. If they add Marquiz to the deal and Pie could a Roberts and Scott deal be in the works?

If the Cubs deal away a handful of their best young prospects, how can they obtain Roberts. Harden for Roberts is not a swap I want to make. They would have to do more than that and I do not feel that they can.

Cubs dont have the chips left to make a Roberts to the Cubs move. Heck they can't get the Peavy deal done without lots of help & getting rid important role players such as Derosa. Fontenot will likely replace Derosa.

AM has also told Roch that Furcal rumors were BS.

T

he shortstop is Cesar Izturis, who only has to pass his physical to officially become an Oriole. Ignore any talk about Rafael Furcal.

No way Roberts goes to the Cubs now....Count on it;)

I think the Cubs would have the players left to make a Roberts trade (Fontenot, Cedeno, Hill, Marshall, and Guzman amongst the possibilities), but not the cash to pay him.

It's pretty obvious that Hendry is having to trim payroll to achieve his offseason objectives. Not sure where an extra $8M for Roberts would materialize from, unless they scrapped the plan to sign a RF like Bradley or Ibanez. That idea seems quite unlikely IMO.

I think the Cubs would have the players left to make a Roberts trade (Fontenot, Cedeno, Hill, Marshall, and Guzman amongst the possibilities), but not the cash to pay him.

It's pretty obvious that Hendry is having to trim payroll to achieve his offseason objectives. Not sure where an extra $8M for Roberts would materialize from, unless they scrapped the plan to sign a RF like Bradley or Ibanez. That idea seems quite unlikely IMO.

(Fontenot, Cedeno, Hill, Marshall, and Guzman)

Fontenot (maybe for a PTBNL)

Cedeno (Nope)

Hill (maybe for a Cabrera)

Marshall (maybe the 3rd piece of a real offer)

Guzman (nope)

You think all the Cubs suck. We get it already.

No Dave

Fontenot is just a decent player

With Izturis Cedeno's services are no longer required

Hill is = to Cabrera (CHANGE OF SCENERY GUY)

Marshall only works as the number 2 or 3 guy in the deal

Guzman is certainly a risk

Can you honestly say if the situation were the other way around you think this would be a good deal for the CUBS?????

I highly doubt it

I guess this means no Pie...:(

The Cubs' pursuit of Jake Peavy is over.

Padres general manager Kevin Towers said he was told by Cubs general manager Jim Hendry on Thursday that the Cubs were no longer interested in pursuing a deal for the former Cy Young winner.

The teams had spoken for weeks about a potential trade but talks broke down this week.

The Cubs were frustrated by the Padres' attempts to seek five or six players for Peavy with one team executive saying, "They're looking for a Herschel Walker-type deal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8926844/Thursday-MLB-winter-meetings-blog

Archived