What if Greinke fell to the O's?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

You can't honestly believe that PA has relinquished total control to John. The same JA that PA assigned to task of fixing the spring training situation in Fort Lauderdale and failed? The same JA that PA assigned the task of negotiating a deal for the move to the West coast and failed? Both times required PA to step in. Then there is the remarkable job JA did with running 
MASN and all the interesting programming he brought online - Not. If PA has relinquished control to JA then PA has truly, completely lost all his faculties, which I don't believe we know.

Many people assume that, because he hasn’t been seen in public for many years now.  

3 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

You can't honestly believe that PA has relinquished total control to John. The same JA that PA assigned to task of fixing the spring training situation in Fort Lauderdale and failed? The same JA that PA assigned the task of negotiating a deal for the move to the West coast and failed? Both times required PA to step in. Then there is the remarkable job JA did with running 
MASN and all the interesting programming he brought online - Not. If PA has relinquished control to JA then PA has truly, completely lost all his faculties, which I don't believe we know.

That's a pretty withering critique of John Angelos. I wasn't aware of the existence of some of these problems or even the ideas, such as aspirations to move to the West coast.

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

That's a pretty withering critique of John Angelos. I wasn't aware of the existence of some of these problems or even the ideas, such as aspirations to move to the West coast.

I think he means moving spring training to the west coast of Florida.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

West coast of FL, Sarasota-Fort Meyers is what I meant. Frobby is right that most people "assume" PA is incapacitated but we don't know if that is true. PA was/is a controlling man, used to being the final decision maker his whole life. JA has not shown any particular business acumen, although he does wear the MLB Executive hat. IMO whatever decision he makes that costs money over the current years budget, would need PA's blessing behind the scenes. 

16 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

West coast of FL, Sarasota-Fort Meyers is what I meant. Frobby is right that most people "assume" PA is incapacitated but we don't know if that is true. PA was/is a controlling man, used to being the final decision maker his whole life. JA has not shown any particular business acumen, although he does wear the MLB Executive hat. IMO whatever decision he makes that costs money over the current years budget, would need PA's blessing behind the scenes. 

I think John Angelos has been the executive officer for MASN since 2005.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, Frobby said:

Obviously you can spend a lot more than $30 mm on a player.  Looking at the projections for Fangraphs’ top 50, about half were expected to get $30 mm+ in total.   For me that’s a reasonable line for what I call major.   I don’t think Elias will spend more than that on a player until he thinks the team is ready to contend.   How big he would go, I can’t say.   I’m certainly not saying $30 mm is anywhere near the top.   Certainly they should be able to afford one or more $100 mm contracts, if they make sense.   

MLB seems to draw the line at $50 mill contracts.  There is higher compensation to teams that lose players that sign $50 mill contracts than do not.  The number of $50 mill contracts the O's have ever handed out has been very small.  Belle, Tejada, Jones, Markakis?, Davis, Jimenez?, and Cobb.  Probably missing someone.   Almost forgot about Davis, lol.  Maybe I was trying to block out the pain.