What’s your 2022 OPS Projection for Kelvin Gutierrez?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS Projection for Kelvin Gutierrez?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Kelvin Gutierrez?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/22 at 22:33

Kelvin Gutierrez is an interesting case to me.   As a minor leaguer, he’s a career .741 OPS hitter.   In the majors, his career OPS is .615 in 386 PA, including .550 In 142 PA with the Royals last year and then .663 with the O’s in 153 PA, equating to .608 on the season.

Though those major league numbers are  pretty awful, it did seem like something began to click a little in September.   Over his final 28 games, Gutierrrez hit .297/.354/.429, including hitting safely in 14 of his last 16 games.   He then went to the Dominican Winter League, where he hit .417/.493/.567 before being shut down with an injury.   He returned to play for the DR in the Caribbean World Series, hitting .235/.409/.294 in 5 games.    

So, is there more to Gutierrez than meets the eye from his overall major league stat line?   Or is that what he really is?

• Upvote 1

Below average K% and BB% follows the trend from the MilB.  He's a heavy GB hitter.  He'll turn 28 in season.  Beyond Urias (and 1B), the rest of the IF will be the follow the 'throw crap against the wall and see what sticks' approach.   

.580-.619 with a chance for a little more.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...he's having a decent spring. Does it mean anything? I guess playing better in the spring is better than sucking in the spring, right?

That’s how I see it.   Holding out some guarded optimism.  

I'm fine with him at third to start the season.  Really excited by the minor league infielders though.  Should be fun watching MILB gameday for Westburg, Henderson, Mayo, Ortiz, Vavra, Norby and Prieto.  I was a big Adam Hall guy, but have to admit I'm having my doubts.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm fine with him at third to start the season.  Really excited by the minor league infielders though.  Should be fun watching MILB gameday for Westburg, Henderson, Mayo, Ortiz, Vavra, Norby and Prieto.  I was a big Adam Hall guy, but have to admit I'm having my doubts.

Really need those IFers to keep improving and show they belong here.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really need those IFers to keep improving and show they belong here.  

Three out of seven turning out to be solid ML contributors would really be nice.  Might even get an outfielder out of the bunch.  I'd dream on four out of seven. 

44 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Three out of seven turning out to be solid ML contributors would really be nice.  Might even get an outfielder out of the bunch.  I'd dream on four out of seven. 

I was really impressed by the extremely small sample size I saw of Westburg in the spring.  He just seems like a guy that’s going to be a really solid player.  Maybe not some perennial AS but a 2-3 WAR guy is very possible imo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was really impressed by the extremely small sample size I saw of Westburg in the spring.  He just seems like a guy that’s going to be a really solid player.  Maybe not some perennial AS but a 2-3 WAR guy is very possible imo.

Not every prospect will be a star, but I'd be thrilled with a bunch of solid ML players wrapped around Rutschman.  I've been outfront about my Mountcastle man crush.  I think he'll be a stud.  I dream on a Mountcastle, Norby/Vavra, Westburg, Henderson, Rutschman infield with Mayo in LF, Coswer CF, and Kjerstad RF.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d be fine with that.  I like him too — maybe our most underrated prospect right now.