Minor League spring training news and information

Tony-OH

On 3/14/2022 at 5:36 PM, SteveA said:

Wow, this is a far cry from the normal spring training happy talk.

Some guys must have come in pretty out of shape for Hyde to say that the guys are "in different shape physically".

Wonder who they are.

My money is on Akin being “in different shape physically”. Well, not that different from last year, I mean.

I asked Dan Connolly in a chat today who looked to be improved this year based on what he’d seen.   He singled out Yusniel Diaz and Travis Lakins Sr. as looking good.   He also wrote a piece on Diaz recently where Diaz indicated he had been doing a lot of work on his legs to try to prevent the type of injuries that have plagued him in the past, and also altered his diet.   

On 3/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, Frobby said:

I asked Dan Connolly in a chat today who looked to be improved this year based on what he’d seen.   He singled out Yusniel Diaz and Travis Lakins Sr. as looking good.   He also wrote a piece on Diaz recently where Diaz indicated he had been doing a lot of work on his legs to try to prevent the type of injuries that have plagued him in the past, and also altered his diet.   

Diaz always looks good in spring training and warm weather. Let's see how that translates to AAA this year and of course, how long can he stay healthy?

If he altered his diet I have a hard time believing it was for the better.  Did you see his gut rounding the bases after his home run in one of the games this past week?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hazmat said:

If he altered his diet I have a hard time believing it was for the better.  Did you see his gut rounding the bases after his home run in one of the games this past week?

I saw the same thing, a few days ago. We are not alone in that observation, even Melewski said it in his chat. Funny thing is that Diaz now looks trimmer, suddenly. I guess my old eyes are playing tricks on me, or he is wearing a “slimming garment” under his uniform. lol

On 3/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hazmat said:

I am not going to complain about how he looks after hitting a homer.   

Im not exactly encouraged that those are the two players sticking out..

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not going to complain about how he looks after hitting a homer.   

Sure, but when he can’t run down a ball in the outfield?  He’s no Vlad Jr.  Anyway, that’s besides the point.  His career with the O’s is hanging by a string.  One would think he’d come in to spring training in the best shape of his life trying to impress the club.  Instead, he shows up with a gut hanging over his belt.  

Not sure if this is the right place for this type of question. If not, I’m happy to post in another thread. 

I’m heading to Sarasota later this week to catch some spring training action. Does anyone have an info or details on best times to catch the minor league players and workouts at Twin Lakes? 

I realize that the minor leaguers play scheduled exhibition games too, but outside of those, are there set times where the public can drive there, spectate and maybe spark up a conversation with the players?  What type of access could I expect to the players at Twin Lakes in that regard?  Is it a pretty open/welcoming/informal type of atmosphere?

It’s my 1st Os spring training and I’m pretty excited. Also have tickets to a game at Ed Smith to catch the big birds, but I’m actually more excited to see and hopefully meet some of our talented minor leaguers. 

Any other tips or recommendations from seasoned, prior ST visitors are more than welcome. 

On 3/26/2022 at 3:42 PM, Hazmat said:

Sure, but when he can’t run down a ball in the outfield?  He’s no Vlad Jr.  Anyway, that’s besides the point.  His career with the O’s is hanging by a string.  One would think he’d come in to spring training in the best shape of his life trying to impress the club.  Instead, he shows up with a gut hanging over his belt.  

Apparently he did. Roch wrote yesterday, "Diaz had six hits in 16 at-bats and barreled every ball to all fields. He’s in impressive shape. He looks the part. " There have been a couple of comments by the writers covering the Orioles that Diaz is in good shape this spring. 

It would be awesome if Diaz suddenly became the player we expected. He has had several decent stretches, but always cut short by injury followed by a slow ramp up to doing good again.

Then last year happened.

Just playing devil's advocate...the Covid year in theory could have affected him more than others. Think of what it did to kids who suddenly didn't have organized sports leagues for the better part of 3 sports seasons. I know my son got out of shape and actually regressed. Who's to say that didn't happen with Diaz too?