O's sportswriters in Sarasota

wildcard

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Do you have a source for this?  was it a tweet?

This seems like a pretty big deal if MASN isn't paying their employees to cover spring training this year.   My respect for MASN would go down even further (and my respect for Roch would greatly increase) if we are sure this is true.

Roch is definitely there.  He is tweeting out pictures from the stadium today.

He said it in the comments to one of his blog posts a few days ago. We'll see if he remains there after tomorrow. I hope he does, it will be a true shame if he can't be there when the games start on Friday.

Update: Roch just confirmed in a comment on his latest blog post that he got approval to be at spring training. He's flying back to MD tomorrow and then flying back to Sarasota on Sunday and will be there for the rest of spring training.

Edited by rm5678
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Update: Roch just confirmed in a comment on his latest blog post that he got approval to be at spring training. He's flying back to MD tomorrow and then flying back to Sarasota on Sunday and will be there for the rest of spring training.

Shamed them into it?

Good move Roch.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is the same stuff happening with the Nats MASN people?

Mark Zuckerman covers the Nats for MASN. For what it’s worth I don’t see any video from him at all from Florida on his Twitter page. 

His stories on MASN website aren’t showing any byline saying he is in Florida. Roch shows Sarasota. Plus he mentions how there is a zoom for reporters not there. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mark Zuckerman covers the Nats for MASN. For what it’s worth I don’t see any video from him at all from Florida on his Twitter page. 

His stories on MASN website aren’t showing any byline saying he is in Florida. Roch shows Sarasota. Plus he mentions how there is a zoom for reporters not there. 

I'm a bit disappointed that the Nats didn't just eat the cost and send him.

I'd have made a pointed comment on social media while I did it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the Nats didn't just eat the cost and send him.

I'd have made a pointed comment on social media while I did it.

This is all so embarrassing. It looks awful and the worst part is apparently they don’t care. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stuff like this is why I don't think they are ever going to spend under current ownership. 

I’m very concerned. Everything they are doing is cheap and second rate. Acting like someone who is struggling to get bye. This is MLB not some Division 3 college. It’s pathetic. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m very concerned. Everything they are doing is cheap and second rate. Acting like someone who is struggling to get bye. This is MLB not some Division 3 college. It’s pathetic. 

At least they haven't tried to get guys to accept deferred payment this year...that we know of.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

At least they haven't tried to get guys to accept deferred payment this year...that we know of.

Either they are massively hurting for money or they are stripping it all down to sell. Maybe both. 

How much money did they save with not sending reporters there? Couple days of hotel? Do they get a per diem? I don’t know 

Best positive spin I can make of this is that well MASN did defraud the Nats out of millions and millions of dollars right?   So they might be extra cheap while they are awaiting a final resolution on that decades long lawsuit...................?