Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

You can't, but alright - fair, I did forget about the spring training thing. Elias said they're gonna check some boxes so they're checking some boxes. He's gonna be up in a few weeks. I don't see the point of complaining for those couple of weeks I guess. 

I've just grown to the point where I'm strongly opposed to screwing with these kids' livelihoods so the owners can save a few bucks. 

I think it's a major moral flaw in the organization.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've just grown to the point where I'm strongly opposed to screwing with these kids' livelihoods so the owners can save a few bucks. 

I would agree, but I'm just not confident that's actually what's happening with regards to Adley or Grayson. Or if it is, it's the side effect of the process rather than the true intent. Perhaps that's naïve. But I'm also very thankful for there being a unified plan in the organization based on a foundation of data and theory, rather than whatever nonsense led to decisions prior to Elias. So my tolerance level for all of this is extremely high. It's also bolstered by the fact that I do believe the team will spend. If/when it becomes clear they simply won't be spending, I'll change my tune. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the super 2 service time manipulation, but would argue it's a baseball flaw and not an organizational flaw. That said having a starting pitching prospect make at least a few starts at Triple-A rather then skipping right from double-A to the majors is pretty standard. I think the manipulation was far more a factor with Adley not coming up last year, then it is Grayson being at Triple-A right now. If a player hasn't pitched 6 innings in a while having them do it in the minor's before the majors makes some sense. He went 4 innings, then 5, theoretically next start would be 6. 

Just now, seak05 said:

I don't like the super 2 service time manipulation, but would argue it's a baseball flaw and not an organizational flaw. That said having a starting pitching prospect make at least a few starts at Triple-A rather then skipping right from double-A to the majors is pretty standard. I think the manipulation was far more a factor with Adley not coming up last year, then it is Grayson being at Triple-A right now. If a player hasn't pitched 6 innings in a while having them do it in the minor's before the majors makes some sense. He went 4 innings, then 5, theoretically next start would be 6. 

Hence me saying a moral issue not an ethical one.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I suppose that's fair. But it is what it is, they have some kind of plan and it's a plan based on evidence and data. There's just not a lot of point in complaining about it. At some point he'll be here and none of this will really matter. 

And at that point, we’ll have something new to complain about. Just gotta keep the whole thing moving along. 

Reading between the lines in that Elias interview is that Mancini doesn’t really fit the roster well once AR is up. When AR isn’t catching, we’re going to need him and Mountcaste to divvy up 1B/DH. The reduction in playing time will only hurt Mancini’s deadline trade value. I also wouldn’t want AR to be pegged as the guy who pushed Mancini to the bench upon his arrival. More so in the clubhouse than in the public eye. If I was Elias, I’d strongly consider dealing Mancini now and bring up Nevin until AR is ready. Can AR, RM & TM coexist with Mancini playing OF again? Yes. But it’s not a great fit in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Reading between the lines in that Elias interview is that Mancini doesn’t really fit the roster well once AR is up. When AR isn’t catching, we’re going to need him and Mountcaste to divvy up 1B/DH. The reduction in playing time will only hurt Mancini’s deadline trade value. I also wouldn’t want AR to be pegged as the guy who pushed Mancini to the bench upon his arrival. More so in the clubhouse than in the public eye. If I was Elias, I’d strongly consider dealing Mancini now and bring up Nevin until AR is ready. Can AR, RM & TM coexist with Mancini playing OF again? Yes. But it’s not a great fit in my opinion. 

But Mancini's an outfielder!

He's certainly been playing out there more than I expected (which was not at all).

6 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Elias has talked about Mancini playing RF. It could be Santander who is traded. Or Hays. Otherwise I agree 100%, it seems like a hallmark of Oriole roster construction to have too many RH DH/1B's with borderline bats.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's certainly been playing out there more than I expected (which was not at all).

I’d be looking to deal Mancini AND Santander. I’m pretty confident they’re getting Mancini time in the OF to prepare for this coming roster problem….to give them more options depending on who gets moved. Also keeping in mind that Stowers is coming. 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He actually made a pretty nice play yesterday, playing the carom on a ball hit sharply over his head and holding the runner to a single.  

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Rutschman is not playing Norfolk by this week, I'd say there was a setback at some point. Just like I'm not buying that Baumler is being held back in extended to watch his innings. 

FWIW, Dan Connolly of the Athletic just did a Q & A on their site, and said he expects Adley to be in games by next week.    I hope you are right but Elias is nothing if not conservative with these injury timetables.