Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Glad to see it is Bradish and not Matt Harvey.   It would be a real shot in the arm for the team and the organizaion if Bradish can hold down a rotation spot the rest of the year.

It is a relief they didn't choose Harvey over him. I think almost no matter how Bradish pitches (barring a complete confidence-destroying meltdown), they should just leave him in there the rest of the season. It takes guys awhile, but the Elias regime is starting to amass a decent track record of having their pitchers steadily improve. Maybe it means a move to the bullpen later, but we're not even close to that yet. Get him the experience this year. 

• Upvote 2

Obviously we hope he does ell, but this kind of scares me:

bradishstuff.jpg.28dfc02d67e2fa66bcc85eefdacac729.jpg

After ten starts his xwOBA is in the 1 percentile of all qualifying pitchers. That's not good.

It will be interesting to see if there is any change in his stuff after his "IL" stint the Orioles have been using the IL to get players back to Florida and have them work on things. 

Let's see if there is a change.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

After ten starts his xwOBA is in the 1 percentile of all qualifying pitchers. That's not good.

It will be interesting to see if there is any change in his stuff after his "IL" stint the Orioles have been using the IL to get players back to Florida and have them work on things. 

Woof. LOL. 

I'm hoping some of those really bad starts were due to some shoulder issues and skewing this. We'll see. The Adley factor hasn't helped him either, so we can't blame Chirinos on this one. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yikes. That is scary. When I watch him, I see a guy with good stuff who’s just missing his spots at times. You can see how his xwOBA increased over his last 50 & 100 PAs. Hopefully that’s due to the shoulder issues and not a problem where hitters are able to see the ball early in his delivery. 

24 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yikes. That is scary. When I watch him, I see a guy with good stuff who’s just missing his spots at times. You can see how his xwOBA increased over his last 50 & 100 PAs. Hopefully that’s due to the shoulder issues and not a problem where hitters are able to see the ball early in his delivery. 

I think the silver lining is that all of the “stuff” measures are average to plus, it’s the outcomes that are all scary. If you squint you can convince yourself that there’s obviously something there to build off of. 

as far as today, would like to see them let him get 3 or 4 good innings on the books, then piggyback Akin. Let him focus on a few good innings vs. going the distance, and get some confidence back. 

I admit that as I watched the bottom of the first, I was thinking "uh oh, here we go again".  But Bradish settled down and kept the O's in the game.   Kremer and Akin's improvement this year should remind us that struggling young players do sometimes figure things out.   Let's hope it happens for Bradish.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I admit that as I watched the bottom of the first, I was thinking "uh oh, here we go again".  But Bradish settled down and kept the O's in the game.   Kremer and Akin's improvement this year should remind us that struggling young players do sometimes figure things out.   Let's hope it happens for Bradish.  

Final line a bit better than simply keeping the team in the game, I would say. 

5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 2 ER, 7 K

on rate being a 3.6 ERA / 1.00 WHIP / 12.6 K/9

Edited by BohKnowsBmore
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice outing.  Bradish seemed very satisfied with his effort in his post-game interview.  He even said Votto “didn’t really get a barrel” on his homer.   Bradish thought it was a pretty decent pitch.  

Up and in at 97. Certainly not a hanging curve in the middle of the plate. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice outing.  Bradish seemed very satisfied with his effort in his post-game interview.  He even said Votto “didn’t really get a barrel” on his homer.   Bradish thought it was a pretty decent pitch.  

He's a uh ... interesting post game interview lol. He's right, in that the pitch was good and the hall of famer did a hall of fame thing. But he comes off a little unnecessarily defensive. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s right, the xBA on that homer was very low. Small ballpark makes it a homer. But you’d like to see him maybe be a little less defensive about it. Otoh he’s gotten beaten around pretty good, so I get it 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was a good pitch. Sometimes you gotta give the hitter credit and well Votto is a pretty good one. Very nice outing by Bradish last night, good to see. Hopefully he an put a string of them together but he does seem to tire around 80 pitches which something to keep an eye on.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was a good pitch. Sometimes you gotta give the hitter credit and well Votto is a pretty good one. Very nice outing by Bradish last night, good to see. Hopefully he an put a string of them together but he does seem to tire around 80 pitches which something to keep an eye on.

Remember how some pundit described him a possible “five and dive” starter?   Maybe it’s “four and then show him the door.”