DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Everyone saying Hall doesn't belong here were pretty quiet after he looked great on Saturday.   I commented that I needed to see him do it again after that game.  He had been lights out in one Norfolk relief appearance and bad in the next.  Talent wise he belongs here.  One terrible appearance and the "I told you so" crowd is out.  

Previously, SG said if Henderson came up and sucked it was ok because he was still getting experience for next year.  Once Hall hurt us (didn't cost us the game though)  that thinking goes out the window.  

Umm, that's pretty arrogant. I love when you guys shutdown others while sitting on your high horse. Not everyone comments after every single game of a player. I'll be honest, I didn't even see his Saturday outing. 

However, I've been talking about his poor performance and my scouting of him since he returned to AAA. I've said that his command has been bad and the breaking stuff not as crisp. Even his changeup has been inconsistent and he wasn't getting as much swing and miss on his fastball. 

So before you sanctimoniously sit on your throne of telling everyone "I  told you so" as well, maybe you ought to considered that Hall was not the best choice to be in a one-run game and how his one good inning in Saturday changed nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing the LI doesn’t take into account as things like opponent, time of year, etc…I think that situation is high leverage enough, given the fact that you are battling with the team in front of you late in the season.

It adds to the pressure and intensity of the situation.  One of those things that you can’t measure but doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I do agree that the situation was higher than it's LI index would indicate, but by LI, it was a low leverage situation. 

My biggest concern is Hall overall honestly. His stuff is playing down right now so why put him in any kind of one-run game late in the game? I get that it was a double header, but he was just a very odd choice. Baker had only thrown 21 pitches and we were down by two, why not let him finish off the 8th? If down by two, fine, let Hall have that inning but honestly I probably would have used Sulser instead and saved Hall for length if needed in game two.

Either way, Hall's stuff is not grading that great in statcast and I know it's better than that. I think he's tired or hit a brick wall. They should only use him in blow outs or consider shutting him down because his command has been pretty bad for sometime now, including in AAA where he was getting beat up a bit since Mid-July.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Umm, that's pretty arrogant. I love when you guys shutdown others while sitting on your high horse. Not everyone comments after every single game of a player. I'll be honest, I didn't even see his Saturday outing. 

However, I've been talking about his poor performance and my scouting of him since he returned to AAA. I've said that his command has been bad and the breaking stuff not as crisp. Even his changeup has been inconsistent and he wasn't getting as much swing and miss on his fastball. 

So before you sanctimoniously sit on your throne of telling everyone "I  told you so" as well, maybe you ought to considered that Hall was not the best choice to be in a one-run game and how his one good inning in Saturday changed nothing.

How is that arrogant? I said myself after Saturday that I wasn't putting too much stock in that one outing and he had followed a dominant relief appearance with a stinker.  I just have no problem seeing if he could do it again down by a run in that situation.   Yeah, I think it's fair to see who went on record after Saturday's appearance of not wanting to see him in that type of situation yesterday.  Brian Baker has been mostly meh for 3 weeks if not the whole season.  I have no problem seeing if Hall could be lights out again over taking my chances with Baker there.  

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is that arrogant? I said myself after Saturday that I wasn't putting too much stock in that one outing and he had followed a dominant relief appearance with a stinker.  I just have no problem seeing if he could do it again down by a run in that situation.   Yeah, I think it's fair to see who went on record after Saturday's appearance of not wanting to see him in that type of situation yesterday.  Brian Baker has been mostly meh for 3 weeks if not the whole season.  I have no problem seeing if Hall could be lights out again over taking my chances with Baker there.  

So, after one 1 inning appearance, after weeks of terrible pitching, you expect people to just change their minds?

I mean damn, Odor hit a homer yesterday.  He should be starting every game!!!!  

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ceciltrav said:

I couldn't agree more.  I am happy with what our rotation has given us this year but please if your spending money go all out and bring in an ace if possible?  The Jays having Gausman and Manoah in this series is nice.  BY the way, we got nothing in the Gausman deal did we?  Why in the world did they just deal him like they did?  That was not smart.  We traded Gausman and Manny and literally got nothing in return but Kremer.  

We got Zimmerman, Phillips, and salary relief. At the time Gausman was a 2 WAR pitcher due to make $9M. In 2019 he signed a one year deal with the Giants for $9M. There was very little value there at the time. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

We got Zimmerman, Phillips, and salary relief. At the time Gausman was a 2 WAR pitcher due to make $9M. In 2019 he signed a one year deal with the Giants for $9M. There was very little value there at the time. 

There would have definitely been more value if you didn’t attach the ODay deal.

Also, they got intl money they did nothing with.

And if the value wasn’t there, you keep him.

What they did was stupid on every level.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It cut payroll and that was very important to ownership.

If the O's continue to lose much at all, Hall's bad performances will just be a back story to a crazy season, assuming there's not an injury. But if the O's start winning and closing the gap, they'll have to find better alternatives. Wells should be coming back. Rodriguez shouldn't be rushed. I don't know who else. Maybe Rom? Maybe even a AA arm that's sharp right now? 

But if Hall's not himself, the O's need to be real about it and protect both the player and the team.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree, attaching O'Day reduced what we got and was not a good look for the organization. However, if we keep Gausman we would not have gotten Zimmerman. "Stupid on every level" is an absurd overstatement as usual but I'm not going to get into it further. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree, attaching O'Day reduced what we got and was not a good look for the organization. However, if we keep Gausman we would not have gotten Zimmerman. "Stupid on every level" is an absurd overstatement as usual but I'm not going to get into it further. 

Lol.  Yea it would be a travesty of epic proportions to not have Zimmermann in the organization.   I mean, I don’t know how long this rebuild would have lasted if we didn’t make that move.  Whew!

They could have waited another year, see what his value is and still end up with 2-3 Zimmermann clones and likely more than that. 

Oh and btw, I guess if you want to see the Angelos family save money, it wasn’t stupid on every level.  I just assume people want what is best for the organization.

Edited by Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If the O's continue to lose much at all, Hall's bad performances will just be a back story to a crazy season, assuming there's not an injury. But if the O's start winning and closing the gap, they'll have to find better alternatives. Wells should be coming back. Rodriguez shouldn't be rushed. I don't know who else. Maybe Rom? Maybe even a AA arm that's sharp right now? 

But if Hall's not himself, the O's need to be real about it and protect both the player and the team.

He needs to be shut down.