DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Good to hear about the velocity being strong.  This is one where I'm going to stick to my guns.  Get him up here and use him 3 innings per appearance whether it's as an opener, piggy backer, mop upper, or whatever.  

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Good to hear about the velocity being strong.  This is one where I'm going to stick to my guns.  Get him up here and use him 3 innings per appearance whether it's as an opener, piggy backer, mop upper, or whatever.  

He’s not going to make it three innings. And I don’t think he’s the kind of guy that can develop as he’s getting crushed. His comments over the last few years suggests that he pays too much attention to online chatter and such. He may care a little too much about what baseball writers and bloggers think of him. 

33 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He’s not going to make it three innings. And I don’t think he’s the kind of guy that can develop as he’s getting crushed. His comments over the last few years suggests that he pays too much attention to online chatter and such. He may care a little too much about what baseball writers and bloggers think of him. 

Why isn't he going to make it three innings?  He can go all out for 2 innings. I just want him getting acclimated in some kind of role up here and perhaps gain the confidence that he belongs and worry about stretching him out and development of all four pitches once that happens. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I really like Hall and his upside is huge…but I wouldn’t be upset if they included him in a deal for a cost controlled starter.   He’s the one top prospect that I would be secretly trying to move.  

That's only interesting because in the draft you say that we need to draft upside and not play it safe and this seems to be the opposite.  Trade huge upside for something safer.   Please Splain.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's only interesting because in the draft you say that we need to draft upside and not play it safe and this seems to be the opposite.  Trade huge upside for something safer.   Please Splain.

These 2 things don’t correlate.

First of all, where did I say I want a low upside starter?  I just want someone that is more likely to be/stay a starter.

Secondly, the team needs to get starting pitching(cause we don’t have any) and there are many ways to do it but at the end of the day, trades are going to be made and players are going to have to be moved.

As I would assume you understand, when deciding on what players you trade, you have to weigh the risk/reward.  There is a major risk on dealing Hall.  But he is more likely to flame out or “just be a reliever” than he is to be a TOR starter.  That is part of the evaluation process that is needed to be made to decide who to move, when you move them, if you move them, etc…

When you draft a guy, you are betting on them staying healthy, performing, etc…we have had Hall in our system for several years and we still don’t know what we have, so yea, it’s an apples to oranges thing.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why isn't he going to make it three innings?  He can go all out for 2 innings. I just want him getting acclimated in some kind of role up here and perhaps gain the confidence that he belongs and worry about stretching him out and development of all four pitches once that happens. 

I don't think he can command his stuff for three innings in the majors. He's going to give up so many walks. That said, I was just quibbling over the details. IF he's not injured/hurting, which is a bit of an if as you alluded to in an earlier post, then I think the Orioles should promote Hall. I would only use him for an inning at a time and I expect some of those innings will be ugly. 

I am also wondering if he's hiding an injury. It seems pretty odd that he would struggle with the heat even in warm ups. Just D's report of the conversation she heard in the bullpen during warmups could easily be Hall saying "yeah" when asked if it is the heat when it could be something else. Just speculation on my part, but he's got an injury history and easy to imagine that he would want to cover up a nagging injury if he thought it would delay promotion. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

These 2 things don’t correlate.

First of all, where did I say I want a low upside starter?  I just want someone that is more likely to be/stay a starter.

Secondly, the team needs to get starting pitching(cause we don’t have any) and there are many ways to do it but at the end of the day, trades are going to be made and players are going to have to be moved.

As I would assume you understand, when deciding on what players you trade, you have to weigh the risk/reward.  There is a major risk on dealing Hall.  But he is more likely to flame out or “just be a reliever” than he is to be a TOR starter.  That is part of the evaluation process that is needed to be made to decide who to move, when you move them, if you move them, etc…

When you draft a guy, you are betting on them staying healthy, performing, etc…we have had Hall on our system for several years and we still don’t know what we have, so yea, it’s an apples to oranges thing.

It's not an apples to organes thing really.   You want to trade a high risk/high reward player for someone with a lower ceiling (even you can't believe that you can deal Hall and something else for a #1 or #2 starter).     In the draft you prefer a high risk/high reward HS player to someone like Brooks Lee who is more likely to actually provide value.   I'm not arguing one way or the other.   You just seem to be going both ways.

If you just say that at this point you don't believe Hall will ever reach his ceiling, then I guess that's what you are probably saying.   Otherwise, you speak with forked tongue.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It's not an apples to organes thing really.   You want to trade a high risk/high reward player for someone with a lower ceiling (even you can't believe that you can deal Hall and something else for a #1 or #2 starter).     In the draft you prefer a high risk/high reward HS player to someone like Brooks Lee who is more likely to actually provide value.   I'm not arguing one way or the other.   You just seem to be going both ways.

If you just say that at this point you don't believe Hall will ever reach his ceiling, then I guess that's what you are probably saying.   Otherwise, you speak with forked tongue.

I obviously am not talking about a 1-1 deal if we are trading for a very good starter.  I guess I could have been more clear on that considering my audience but I figured that would be obvious.