Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Two very notable stats. Both seem flukey in a SSS. I don’t think we need to worry about Mayo, Cowser, or Westburg, just because their OPS dropped under .800. 

I am not and was not really worried about Mayo or Westburg.    Cowser is another story.   Until I see the strikeouts significantly reduced, I'm worried.   We have a long way to go, but I'm getting a Cadyn Grenier feeling every time I see 2 or 3 strikeouts in a game.   If he's attempting to get more loft on the ball, that might explain it.   If so, why is his ground ball rate (2.60) going through the roof?     I'm hoping there's a reasonable explanation but I am getting nervous about this one.    I read his pre-draft writeup which is kind of funny to read.   It bascially says Cowser is one of the safest picks in that draft and rarely misses a fastball.   Where is that guy?   I want him back.

I followed the last two Bowie games closely and noticed that all four of Westburg’s strikeouts were caught looking.   I wonder if some of his problem is being a bit too selective.   Of course I have no idea of how many of his strikeouts have been looking vs. swinging.  

On 5/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, Frobby said:

I followed the last two Bowie games closely and noticed that all four of Westburg’s strikeouts were caught looking.   I wonder if some of his problem is being a bit too selective.   Of course I have no idea of how many of his strikeouts have been looking vs. swinging.  

I watched the last few Bowie Games.  Announcers made a point to say the umps were missing calls and it was good on Westburg (and some other guys)not to expand the strike zone.  

Westburg got his OPS back over .800 today by going 2 for 4 with a homer plus a walk.   His BA is still a pedestrian .225, but he’s gone 14 for 47 the last two weeks with 7 doubles and 3 homers, to go with 5 walks, good for a line of .298/.365/.638 in that span.  Nice to see him heating up.  

• Upvote 2

He's trading strikeouts for damage. 10 of his last 14 hits for extra bases. 19 of his 31 hits are for extra bases.  A lot of similarities between Westburg and Stowers. 

There is some correlation to what Westburg and Stowers are doing and what Cowser is trying to do. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Westburg got his OPS back over .800 today by going 2 for 4 with a homer plus a walk.   His BA is still a pedestrian .225, but he’s gone 14 for 47 the last two weeks with 7 doubles and 3 homers, to go with 5 walks, good for a line of .298/.365/.638 in that span.  Nice to see him heating up.  

It’s a game of adjustments. Westburg has really turned up the power. 

Other than Stowers and maybe Neustrom, Norfolk is full of AAAA/utility types.  Martin and Grenier shouldn't stop Henderson and Westburg from being promoted.  Grenier has a .645 OPS after years of development.  Martin has of course failed miserably in long stints in the majors.  It's time to move on.  I assume the O's will wait till the All Star break to promote Henderson and possibly Westburg, but Grenier and Martin shouldn't be blocking them.

45 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Other than Stowers and maybe Neustrom, Norfolk is full of AAAA/utility types.  Martin and Grenier shouldn't stop Henderson and Westburg from being promoted.  Grenier has a .645 OPS after years of development.  Martin has of course failed miserably in long stints in the majors.  It's time to move on.  I assume the O's will wait till the All Star break to promote Henderson and possibly Westburg, but Grenier and Martin shouldn't be blocking them.

Im pretty sure AAA is wide open for infielders at the lower levels. Even Vavra I question as anything but a AAA depth piece in the majors. I do have hope for Nevin at 3B. But maybe im the only one.