Spenser Watkins starting Tuesday?

Big Mac

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

“Actually kind of excited to see what he does”

this board lol

He, like Harvey, is to ensure a top pick.  They are here because they are awful. 

Why don't you read through the actual comments in this thread before you start saying some BS about "this board". It's total BS to claim "this board" is excited over this move.

Maybe it's because its opening day and I'm in a glass half full mood: But I'm choosing to view this as biding time until May when Bradish and Rodriguez get called up (and I'm actually good with Rodriguez being in Triple-A given he hadn't pitched there, Bradish should've been given a real shot at OD rotation) 

Just now, seak05 said:

Maybe it's because its opening day and I'm in a glass half full mood: But I'm choosing to view this as biding time until May when Bradish and Rodriguez get called up (and I'm actually good with Rodriguez being in Triple-A given he hadn't pitched there, Bradish should've been given a real shot at OD rotation) 

The glass may be half full, but beware, its filled with cyanide.

Bradish was kept behind and then sent to AAA, why? He had over 20 starts in AAA. He could have easily been on the same plan as Wells to start the year. 

If this is not the year to take a look at the Bradish's and Baumann's of the organization at the major league level, then when is it going to be that time?

I'm fairly convinced this organization thinks pitching their prospects as least as much as possible is the best way to develop them. They are beyond risk adverse with their prospects with ridiculously low pitch counts compared to other times and by keeping guys in extended spring training when they could be pitching against real competition. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish was kept behind and then sent to AAA, why? He had over 20 starts in AAA. He could have easily been on the same plan as Wells to start the year. 

If this is not the year to take a look at the Bradish's and Baumann's of the organization at the major league level, then when is it going to be that time?

I'm fairly convinced this organization thinks pitching their prospects as least as much as possible is the best way to develop them. They are beyond risk adverse with their prospects with ridiculously low pitch counts compared to other times and by keeping guys in extended spring training when they could be pitching against real competition. 

The cynic in me says that slow playing the pitching prospects buys Elias more time in his job. If there’s no proof that the top pitching prospects aren’t gonna make it, he still has the ability to point to what will be coming. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, waroriole said:

The cynic in me says that slow playing the pitching prospects buys Elias more time in his job. If there’s no proof that the top pitching prospects aren’t gonna make it, he still has the ability to point to what will be coming. 

There is absolutely no indication that Elias’ job is in any danger whatsoever.  He’s doing exactly what ownership wants and expects him to do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

There is absolutely no indication that Elias’ job is in any danger whatsoever.  He’s doing exactly what ownership wants and expects him to do.

Correct. And his job is to give lip service to the fans so the Angelos boys and pops can continue to field the bare minimum team so as to maximize the money they can siphon off each year to pad their pockets.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

There’s really no other way to describe Watkins starting the 5th game of the season than pathetic. It’s not like they didn’t have a whole offseason to address the worst pitching staff of all time, and the only thing they did was sign Lyles. 

Watkins is the kind of guy that should only get a call up when it’s the middle of the season and you’ve had a rash of pitching injuries so you need him to eat some innings. The ML team continues to hit new lows. 

And this about sums it up.  5 games into the season, none of this applies yet here we are.

I understand if you want to see Bradish instead of Watkins, for sure. But the decision was made to give him a few more AAA starts and to get another look at Kremer. Kremer got hurt, Bradish still hasn't made his AAA starts, so it's Watkins. It's fine to disagree with that, but that's the reasoning and they're sticking with that plan. No big deal IMO. Bradish will be up soon. 

Watkins is going to pitch well I think. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why don't you read through the actual comments in this thread before you start saying some BS about "this board". It's total BS to claim "this board" is excited over this move.

I may disagree with you on occasion but you are def grounded in reality, sincerely appreciate that. I get your point but in all fairness, I quoted directly from another poster. Appreciate your hard work. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

“Actually kind of excited to see what he does”

this board lol

He, like Harvey, is to ensure a top pick.  They are here because they are awful. 

Hey feel free to directly quote me instead of whatever this passive aggressive nonsense is. I am excited to see Watkins based on the reports of his ST work and Roch reporting that scouts were excited about him. I don't speak for the whole board, obviously. Very obviously. So piss off. 

You don't have to agree, but at least have the integrity to disagree with me directly. Or, you know, don't comment at all. That's an option, too. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I may disagree with you on occasion but you are def grounded in reality, sincerely appreciate that. I get your point but in all fairness, I quoted directly from another poster. Appreciate your hard work. 

Thanks, but my suggestion then would just say, "Some posters" instead of classifying the entire board. Very few people are happy about this. 

Now saying that, I'm clearly disappointed and I do think your offseason failed if Watkins is starting your 5th game of the year, but I also will consider that Watkins has developed something new and looks good. I guess we'll find out.

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks, but my suggestion then would just say, "Some posters" instead of classifying the entire board. Very few people are happy about this. 

Now saying that, I'm clearly disappointed and I do think your offseason failed if Watkins is starting your 5th game of the year, but I also will consider that Watkins has developed something new and looks good. I guess we'll find out.

Hyde by the third inning Tuesday to Watkins:

quote-if-you-know-how-to-cheat-start-now

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
Watkins starts Tuesday not today.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If Bradish doesn't get a good look this year (and it's not due to injury or something like that) I will be thoroughly disappointed. I'm hoping that Zimmermann and Wells get thorough looks this year...Baumann I'm good with seeing what he does out of the pen first (same on Akin, and same with Lowther if he is throwing well at Triple-A). 

5 minutes ago, seak05 said:

If Bradish doesn't get a good look this year I will be thoroughly disappointed. I'm hoping that Zimmermann and Wells get thorough looks this year...Baumann I'm good with seeing what he does out of the pen first (same on Akin, and same with Lowther if he is throwing well at Triple-A). 

I’m already thoroughly disappointed he’s not on the ML roster.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I understand if you want to see Bradish instead of Watkins, for sure. But the decision was made to give him a few more AAA starts and to get another look at Kremer. Kremer got hurt, Bradish still hasn't made his AAA starts, so it's Watkins. It's fine to disagree with that, but that's the reasoning and they're sticking with that plan. No big deal IMO. Bradish will be up soon. 

Watkins is going to pitch well I think. 

For what it's worth the article says that the decision was made prior to getting hurt that Kremer was going to piggy back Tyler Wells rather than start Game 5. That said, as much as I'd love to see a sexier name, I don't read anything into this move about the strategy or the organization. Our second tier prospects have done absolutely nothing to deserve more opportunities. I am fine with starting them or other AAAA guys until they show they are ready. Bradish, Grayson, and Hall should be kept on whatever developmental schedule has been deemed appropriate for whatever reason (including service time) and should not be pushed up for a chance at winning Game 5 of 162.

• Upvote 4