The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

Just a quick look :

ARod's closest comps through age 32 :

Hank Aaron, Mel Ott, Jimmy Fox, Ken Griffy, Mickey Mantle

Teixeira's closest comps through age 28:

Carlos Delgado, Kent Hrbek, Fred McGriff, Jim Thome and Will Clark.

Not sure that Tex is in ARod's league, though, in fairness, not many are.

If Tex can hit homeruns with as much ease as Kent Hrbek could on RBI Baseball, this will be a steal.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hrbek had significant conditioning issues that manifested into some pretty serious weight gain in his early thirties. Basically, the guy didn't like to diet or do any cardio at all. He was somewhat well known for his desire to lift, drink beer, hunt, and play ball and little else.

Do you feel Hrbek's collapse is not linked to this issue?

If you do think this was the root cause for Hrbek, is this something you're worried about happening with Tex?

Oh, I'm certainly of the opinion that Tex will hit well into his 30's Vatech. I just dont think Hrbek is a bad comp through age 28.

Hrbek had significant conditioning issues that manifested into some pretty serious weight gain in his early thirties. Basically, the guy didn't like to diet or do any cardio at all. He was somewhat well known for his desire to lift, drink beer, hunt, and play ball and little else.

If you do think this was the root cause for Hrbek, is this something you're worried about happening with Tex?

You make that sound like it's a bad thing!:D

Wasn't he pretty big on pro wrestling too??

Doubtful if AM is involved with this contract. Good news if it's true. Maybe MASN is raking in a lot more $$$ than we think.:D

Or they assume with Tex and pitching brought in here that increased ratings + more ticket sales means a big increase in revenue...ie spend money to make money.

And I agree...This will end up not having much to do with AM IMO...Not taking anything away from MacPhail but this is all about PA.

XM had two Yankee writers on yesterday(Sherman was one, forgot the others name) and they both agree that the Yankees are bluffing. Evidently they think he is going to Boston and want to drive up the price. Joel Sherman claims they did this because the Red Sox took Sabathia and his agent to lunch last week and that is what caused NY to add the 7th year. Showing interest in Tex is the payback. You have to love how those two think MLB is composed of them and then 28 other minor partners.

You mean its not?

I do love how it seemed the first question after the Phillies win of the series was, "What will the Yankees do to get back?"

Or they assume with Tex and pitching brought in here that increased ratings + more ticket sales means a big increase in revenue...ie spend money to make money.

And I agree...This will end up not having much to do with AM IMO...Not taking anything away from MacPhail but this is all about PA.

It does appear that Angelos has his blinders on and will go all in for Tex. Not saying getting Tex is a bad thing, just using the old expression of "blinders on".

Wasn't he pretty big on pro wrestling too??

Well, those were the glory days of wrestling. Who wasn't into it back then. Of course, I was still not a teenager but, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre the Giant, Million Dollar Man. Back when wrestling was real:D

Just put on ESPN radio and the update guy just said something to the effect of "Teixeira told Ravich that he is close to making a decision and is considering his hometown and that the Nats are in it as much as the Red Sox and Angels." NOTHING about the Orioles.

Pretty much.

You have to think Tex will draw people out to see them. If the Birds can get off to a hot start like they did last year, all of that with Wieters on top should translate into increases in ticket sales.

Malike, can you compare ARod vs Tex in OPS+ at the age of 28?

ARod's was 147, I left out his first two part time seasons because an OPS+ of 17 in 45 AB's skews the numbers, IMO at least.

Tex's OPS+ through 28 is 134.

Keep in mind, ARod had 9 full time seasons under his belt before his age 28 season, where Tex has had 5. ARod is a once in many generation talent, Tex is still an outstanding player.

Archived