The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Do you have any data to back this up? Teams attendance is mostly dependent on day of the week, not opponent. 

None. I tried to make clear in my post that I was speculating about a concern that contending teams might have about the consequences of having home games against teams, not their traditional rivals, that are not trying to compete. And I was talking about fan interest in those games, which for teams that sell a lot of season tickets is not the same thing as attendance. 

I've wondered about this before, and the post about the apparent low turnout of NYY fans the last two nights reminded me of it. 

In hindsight, even in speculating I probably shouldn't have picked the Angels. After six straight under .500 seasons and seven years missing the playoffs, they are off to a fast start, their fans probably are excited about that start and aren't too concerned with who they're playing and are happy to see them beat up on weak teams, and a healthy Trout and Ohtani are likely to be big draw no matter who the opponent is. I didn't think any of that through. 

If I can remember, I'll try to look at attendance over the course of the season when MLB's worst teams are on the road. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Do you have any data to back this up? Teams attendance is mostly dependent on day of the week, not opponent. 

None. I tried to make clear in my post that I was speculating about a concern that contending teams might have about the consequences of having home games against teams, not their traditional rivals, that are not trying to compete. And I was talking about fan interest in those games, which for teams that sell a lot of season tickets is not the same thing as attendance. 

I've wondered about this before, and the post about the apparent low turnout of NYY fans the last two nights reminded me of it. 

In hindsight, even in speculating I probably shouldn't have picked the Angels. After six straight under .500 seasons and seven years missing the playoffs, they are off to a fast start, their fans probably are excited about that start and aren't too concerned with who they're playing and are happy to see them beat up on weak teams, and a healthy Trout and Ohtani are likely to be big draw no matter who the opponent is. I didn't think any of that through. 

If I can remember, I'll try to look at attendance over the course of the season when MLB's worst teams are on the road. 

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Plus Orioles pay lower rent  if attendance and concessions are low. So low attendance doesn't hurt them that much 

I've read that a number of times this season. Are the details of that arrangement publicly available, and if so can someone steer me to them?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I've read that a number of times this season. Are the details of that arrangement publicly available, and if so can someone steer me to them?  Thanks.

I posted it before somewhere on here  Publicly available is no I think the Sun had to use the Freedom of Information Act to get the information. MSA and the Orioles don't want this information out even though the Stadium Authority supposedly works for the state.

Lack of fans at Camden Yards costs Maryland millions in rent | WTOP News
https://wtop.com/baltimore-orioles/2021/08/lack-of-fans-at-camden-yards-costs-maryland-millions-in-rent/

• Upvote 1

Also the rent credit is interesting for the new wall. MSA is supposed to fix the stadium structurally but not cosmetically. This was done by the Orioles to help their pitchers. But the state decided to gave them a rent credit anyway because they were afraid they will move.

Orioles To Get Rent Credit For Ballpark Upgrade – CBS Baltimore
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/01/26/orioles-to-get-rent-credit-for-ballpark-upgrade/

On 5/18/2022 at 12:20 PM, Going Underground said:

Also the rent credit is interesting for the new wall. MSA is supposed to fix the stadium structurally but not cosmetically. This was done by the Orioles to help their pitchers. But the state decided to gave them a rent credit anyway because they were afraid they will move.

Orioles To Get Rent Credit For Ballpark Upgrade – CBS Baltimore
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/01/26/orioles-to-get-rent-credit-for-ballpark-upgrade/

Just wait until they ask for another credit since the maximum capacity went down when they moved the wall.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Looks like a solid turn out today for the day game.   

I was there. It was a solid turnout. I think the announced attendance was 23k. 

There were a lot of school groups there on field trips. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

I was there. It was a solid turnout. I think the announced attendance was 23k. 

There were a lot of school groups there on field trips. 

Would have been nice to let those kids watch Rutschman's debut, but they got to see a win which is more than most other fans can claim.