Potential 1st over pick info: Druw Jones - HS

On 4/13/2023 at 11:35 AM, CharmCityHokie said:

Who the hell is batting for Lake Elisnore? That dude is massive for a single-A team. Awesome catch, and great he corrected after either he took a bad route or the ball got caught up in the wind, impressive either way. 

It wasn’t a perfect route.  I didn’t catch that the first time.  One or two steps to his right before going back.

• 2 months later...

In Baseball Americas updated top 100 prospects, reflecting the 2023 draft, Termarr Johnson has already been knocked down to 97 and Druw Jones to 99 with the word “alarming” attached to Druw Jones swing and hitting instincts when he’s actually been healthy enough to play.   Meanwhile, Jackson Holliday is #2 behind Elly De la Cruz.    Remember, Holliday was not a slam dunk for 1:1.   Druw Jones was the clear consensus 1:1 for almost every public “expert”.     

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In Baseball Americas updated top 100 prospects, reflecting the 2023 draft, Termarr Johnson has already been knocked down to 97 and Druw Jones to 99 with the word “alarming” attached to Druw Jones swing and hitting instincts when he’s actually been healthy enough to play.   Meanwhile, Jackson Holliday is #2 behind Elly De la Cruz.    Remember, Holliday was not a slam dunk for 1:1.   Druw Jones was the clear consensus 1:1 for almost every public “expert”.     

While I 100% agree that Holliday was not a slam dunk for 1-1 I think saying that Jones was the clear consensus is also overstating things a bit.  I saw a number of names at the top of the draft board.

No doubt that it looks like Elias made the correct pick.

What's the writeup on Johnson look like?  A quick peek at his stats (19 in A ball, 800 OPS mostly at 2B) don't look that bad.  The K's are alarming but with the walks it looks like he's been passive which is pretty fixable.

Edited by Can_of_corn

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I 100% agree that Holliday was not a slam dunk for 1-1 I think saying that Jones was the clear consensus is also overstating things a bit.  I saw a number of names at the top of the draft board.

Sorry, it’s not an exaggeration to say that over 90% (closer to 100%) had Jones as 1:1 although some did make the case about selecting Holliday, Johnson, or Lee and playing with the savings.

“I don’t agree that Druw Jones is head and shoulders above everybody else,” said Law, who went on to say that he’d have “serious questions” if someone else had Jones that high above his peers. “There are questions about where the hit tool is.

“I know plenty of people … who say they all like him, but we’re not sure how advanced the hit tool is. If you could get one of those other players for $2 million less than Druw Jones and then spend that savings to get better prospects with subsequent picks, you should do that.”

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

bill.

“If you were to ask around and take a vote, [Jones would] get the most No. 1 votes,” McDaniel said. “But I think most teams see it as, ‘Yeah, there’s four or five guys you can talk yourself into,’ similar to last year when we saw everyone’s rankings get jumbled up in terms of the order based on the way the baseball draft is set up with a hard slotting process and everyone shops around for prices and then you pick who you think the best player is for the price rather than just the best player.”

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's the writeup on Johnson look like?  A quick peek at his stats (19 in A ball, 800 OPS mostly at 2B) don't look that bad.  The K's are alarming but with the walks it looks like he's been passive which is pretty fixable.

There were other guys in the mix but most had Jones 1.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

bill.

“If you were to ask around and take a vote, [Jones would] get the most No. 1 votes,” McDaniel said. “But I think most teams see it as, ‘Yeah, there’s four or five guys you can talk yourself into,’ similar to last year when we saw everyone’s rankings get jumbled up in terms of the order based on the way the baseball draft is set up with a hard slotting process and everyone shops around for prices and then you pick who you think the best player is for the price rather than just the best player.”

Just now, Sports Guy said:

There were other guys in the mix but most had Jones 1.

I agree with most.  I have an issue with 95% plus.

I'll also say that if you can talk yourself into four or five guys than the "consensus" #1 guy isn't really a consensus guy in the way that an Adley or Harper was.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll also say that if you can talk yourself into four or five guys than the "consensus" #1 guy isn't really a consensus guy in the way that an Adley or Harper was.

On talent and which one would be the best player, Jones was the clear #1 choice of just about everyone.    Mayo, Callis, Baseball América, Kiley McDaniel.   It would be hard to find someone or some publication that did not have him as the #1 choice without taking the underslot approach into account for another player.   If you disagree with that, I challenge you to back it up.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would tend to agree that there are levels of “consensus guys”. You have your, no doubt players going #1 like Harper and then you have your, well they are probably #1 this year guys. There is a difference.

That said, Jones was basically a consensus #1 rated guy.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

On talent and which one would be the best player, Jones was the clear #1 choice of just about everyone.    Mayo, Callis, Baseball América, Kiley McDaniel.   It would be hard to find someone or some publication that did not have him as the #1 choice without taking the underslot approach into account for another player.   If you disagree with that, I challenge you to back it up.

That's OK, I don't care enough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

Consensus is not the same thing as unanimous. While Jones was the clear consensus number one around the industry, it was definitely not unanimous. 

Find one well-known reputable source who did not advocate him as the #1 pick on merit alone.   I’m sure it should be easy to find one.   I just can’t think of one.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Find one well-known reputable source who did not advocate him as the #1 pick on merit alone.   I’m sure it should be easy to find one.   I just can’t think of one.

CBS had the O's take Johnson.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2022-mlb-mock-draft-orioles-take-termarr-johnson-with-no-1-pick-kumar-rocker-to-padres/

That count?

So did prospectslive.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7-st9r4-wa35p-2n5ls

Somebody named AS had Berry but I have NO IDEA who they are.

https://en.as.com/mlb/2022-mlb-mock-draft-first-round-predictions-and-pick-projections-n/