Potential 1st over pick info: Druw Jones - HS

Keith Law today:

Andruw Jones’ son is the consensus No. 1 player in the draft class, rising to the top as much because of the high floor he offers for a high school player as his ceiling. He’s a plus defender in center now, with similar feel for the position to his father, gliding to catch fly balls thanks to strong reads off the bat. He is a plus runner with at least 60 raw power, with strength to drive the ball out to center, but his swing can get long and he can try too hard to get to that power on pitches he should just put into play. He does have a solid feel for the strike zone for his age, however, and doesn’t expand the zone on himself when he falls behind. He has All-Star upside and it’s easy to see how he could settle in as a soft regular even if we’re all too high on the hit tool.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Frobby said:

Keith Law today:

Andruw Jones’ son is the consensus No. 1 player in the draft class, rising to the top as much because of the high floor he offers for a high school player as his ceiling. He’s a plus defender in center now, with similar feel for the position to his father, gliding to catch fly balls thanks to strong reads off the bat. He is a plus runner with at least 60 raw power, with strength to drive the ball out to center, but his swing can get long and he can try too hard to get to that power on pitches he should just put into play. He does have a solid feel for the strike zone for his age, however, and doesn’t expand the zone on himself when he falls behind. He has All-Star upside and it’s easy to see how he could settle in as a soft regular even if we’re all too high on the hit tool.

Yep. So corner college OFer? Elias is on it! 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

On 5/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Frobby said:

Keith Law today:

I agree with Law here. There are certainly refinements to make on his hitting process overall, across the board. If he receives instruction well, and has the work ethic we’d expect from Andruw Jones’ son, you expect the projections to work. The tools are there. Even @NelsonCruuuuuzcan see it, lol!

There is still a lot of information to sort about the intangibles and so on. We have had our disappointment on the day after the draft with some of the over slot stuff, and we’ll see what happens here. This is the first time I feel like he should be willing to take a shot at a higher end talent. You never want to miss, but you have to take a shot if your depth is in a good place. And it is. 

If Elias takes Jones, and he doesn’t jump to AA in two years, many here are going to be up in arms and call them (Jones and Elias) a failure. The expectations of some of our fans is pretty tough. Player development has no shortcuts, unless you want them to fail. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias was just on the OTV podcast.  He was asked about the draft and mentioned that it’s a too heavy draft for positional players and said that this is a very good year to having the top pick. Mentioned how talented the HS players are.

Wry nice to hear this. 

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias was just on the OTV podcast.  He was asked about the draft and mentioned that it’s a too heavy draft for positional players and said that this is a very good year to having the top pick. Mentioned how talented the HS players are.

Assuming that's pretty close to a direct quote, "very good year to have the top pick" is playing mind games with me!  The simple reading is that he has a guy he thinks that has separated himself from the group (that's what I think he means).  But the mind worm is there are a few guys that he can slot? 

The HS player comment rhymes with what other sources are saying.

What does he mean by 'too heavy draft for positional players'?  Rounded in the middle and not a lot of top-end strength?

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Assuming that's pretty close to a direct quote, "very good year to have the top pick" is playing mind games with me!  The simple reading is that he has a guy he thinks that has separated himself from the group (that's what I think he means).  But the mind worm is there are a few guys that he can slot? 

What does he mean by 'too heavy draft for positional players'?  Rounded in the middle and not a lot of top-end strength?

That was corrected to say top heavy.

He was saying that the talent at the top of the draft is very good this year and that in some years, that isn’t the case.

Basically saying some years are better than others to have the first pick and this is a year where it’s good to have it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Thank God the O's can't trade down.  The O's would have 17 selections in the 10th round.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That was corrected to say top heavy.

He was saying that the talent at the top of the draft is very good this year and that in some years, that isn’t the case.

Basically saying some years are better than others to have the first pick and this is a year where it’s good to have it.

Derp, sorry.  I should have read that correctly in my mind...  Thanks for clarifying.

Awesome!  Sounds like he has a guy he wants!

I understand wanting to spread out the time crunch for the draft and trade deadlines...  But every team has the same deadlines (though some will be more active at the trade deadline than others).  This is where he has to trust the scouting team he has in place as much as anything.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Jones is clearly the top pick. I think fans putting pressure on him to take him is important. Just my .02 I worry he is going to screw us again in the first. 

I doubt Elias cares a whit about “fan pressure.”   

• Upvote 1