Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why would he be promoted today?  He seems ready, but O's usually promote players after the All Star break.

Do you mean just to Norfolk?  Because they promote often on Monday's.  Gunnar and Westburg were just 2 I looked at, but they were promoted to Aberdeen last year in June.  I don't have time to go looking at everyone, but there have been a lot of promotions pre all star break over the last couple of years.  And Gunnar is clearly ready.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Do you mean just to Norfolk?  Because they promote often on Monday's.  Gunnar and Westburg were just 2 I looked at, but they were promoted to Aberdeen last year in June.  I don't have time to go looking at everyone, but there have been a lot of promotions pre all star break over the last couple of years.  And Gunnar is clearly ready.

I was just looking at how the schedule breaks down this year.  The Baysox have played 49 games and still have 89 to play.  Their schedule runs all the way to September 18.   The halfway point comes in 3 weeks + 2 games.   Basically, end of June.   I think he’ll be promoted by then, maybe a little before.   By then he should have 280+ PA, which is about what Neustrom and Stowers had when they got promoted to AAA (261 for Neustrom, 276 for Stowers).   Rutschman actually had 357 PA in AA.

56 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why would he be promoted today?  He seems ready, but O's usually promote players after the All Star break.

He's been amazing in Bowie,not much to prove there. It's time to get him to Norfolk.

Edited by Getz

12 hours ago, seak05 said:

Gunnar is the youngest player in triple-A by 9 months. As much as we talk about Adley and Grayson being slow-played, the Orioles have been very aggressive with Gunnar 

He hasn’t given them a whole lot of choice, especially with this promotion.

Comes down to performance, health, and Elias.  If they are looking to game Henderson's service clock, then Grayson probably debuts OD 2023 and beats him. 

Another prediction. Many snarky remarks to follow.

I doubt Gunnar is in Baltimore this year.  He would really have come out of the blocks hitting, but I still doubt it.  And I was one who said to promote him to AAA really early this season based on his K/BB improvement.  (I wonder if these promotions were as much a psychological salve for the team/fanbase after the Grayson injury?  Not to answer, just to ponder...)  

Some extra factors/dependencies (IMO) are:

* Breaking camp OD is dependent on the odds of making the playoffs, it's a service time game (which makes sense for cost-conscience teams in most cases).  But a signal would be how active we are signing FA in the off-season (in context of other AL East team odds).  

* Throw in the draft benefits for teams who have a top 3 ROY finisher, and the O's could stuff the ballot box with a couple of competitors.

Well it depends.  Any prospect who they believe will be on the OD roster next year can come up at any point this year.  

Now, if they want to play the service time game, I agree Henderson and Westburg stay down this year.

Im just glad to see them promote Henderson when they should.  It’s all about being challenged and if you aren’t being challenged, there is no reason for you to be at that level anymore.  If he completely dominates AAA for a few months, he should be brought up.  That’s what development is.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends.  Any prospect who they believe will be on the OD roster next year can come up at any point this year.  

Now, if they want to play the service time game, I agree Henderson and Westburg stay down this year.

Im just glad to see them promote Henderson when they should.  It’s all about being challenged and if you aren’t being challenged, there is no reason for you to be at that level anymore.  If he completely dominates AAA for a few months, he should be brought up.  That’s what development is.

The biggest hurdle for Henderson is the 40-man spot. If they think he'll be ready for OD, it would make sense to get him to the majors in August or September this year as you don't lose service time compared to Opening Day, but with Henderson not needing to be added to the 40-man, they can keep an extra 40-man spot throughout the winter if he's not promoted this year. Ultimately, I think that makes as much of an impact on his chances for promotion as anything else. (Though I do think there are enough disposal players on the 40-man that it shouldn't be an issue).  

• Upvote 1

This has been mentioned before and I’m starting to agree that Elias should consider giving the kid a nice comfy payday and bringing him up.  I believe the reward outweighs the risk and a 20y/o in AAA is likely to take a decent deal right now to secure himself in the future.  If he continues on this trajectory, he will become expensive quickly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1