Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It makes me sad that he probably won’t go in as an Oriole. 

These Padres....the Soto performances horrible so far.     Bryce's Phillies have stayed strong, so NL6 looks like coming down to Padres-Brewers race.    So far Manny hasn't gotten to enjoy being second or third banana and have the young guys usher him to October.

He's certainly on the short list of Frank Robinson for a new generation type daydreams with Correa and Harper, should he opt-out after 2023 or more Padres malaise accelerates him to the next July trade market.    His play has been strong enough so far that he might get to have a change of scenery if he wants without losing much $$$ on the 2024-2028 back half of his contract for 5/150.

By the way, if we're trying to entice Gunnar to sell some FA years, here's a fun little provision in Manny's deal the Economic Analyst might want to think about for the 21-year old with "only" about $3mm earned so far.

10 years/$300M (2019-28)

• signed by San Diego as a free agent 2/21/19
  • $20M signing bonus, paid within 30 days of MLB approval of the deal

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Eh, that's mainly an artifact of the reserve clause era. Anyway, one day they'll come up with a plaque that rearranges its molecular properties so that when you look at it the player is in the uniform of your choosing.

I can finally seen Wade Boggs in a Devil Rays' hat as nature intended? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wow Moose, that is one long post.   Well done, but like you said, back to Gunnar.   

I’m fine with moving him around the infield this year.  He’s joining a team that’s had certain guys playing certain positions for 125 games before he arrived.   He’s also used to not having a set position, having shuttled between SS and 3B for two years now.   Our SS and 3B have played great defense all year, so there’s no good reason to shake that up in a major way right now.

2023 is a different story.  He should settle in at SS or 3B.   Elias and Hyde can spend the winter figuring out how to structure the team to make that happen.

Meanwhile, Gunnar has been worth 0.5 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR in 14 games.  I don’t think it’s killing him to move around. 

I've written longer on here, fairly certain.  It's not actually all that much writing, just a bunch of quotes.

I'm fine with moving him around the infield this year, too.  He's young enough and athletic enough to make these changes.  But I agree, he needs to settle in next year, preferably on the left side of the infield.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've written longer on here, fairly certain.  It's not actually all that much writing, just a bunch of quotes.

I'm fine with moving him around the infield this year, too.  He's young enough and athletic enough to make these changes.  But I agree, he needs to settle in next year, preferably on the left side of the infield.  

Probably, but I'm having visions of a super Ben Zobrist or Tony Phillips. 

Roch has an article up with comments from Elias about the O’s selection of Henderson in 2019 and his rise to the majors this year.  Here’s a couple of quotes:

“He was a player that, in 2019, our scouting staff had very firmly in the first round on our board and he just kept falling toward our 42nd pick, and I wasn’t 100 percent sure that he was going to be signable at that pick,” executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias recently said. “We were able to get on the phone and ensure that he had strong interest in signing with us at that pick, and it was kind of down to the wire. Once we got the indication that he’d be inclined toward signing, we took him, and I think it’s been a very fortuitous thing for him and for us that we got that pick and he landed in the right organization.

“I know he has a younger brother (Cade) who’s a big Orioles fan, and that was exciting for the family when he came in to sign. I just remember from his press conference on forward how impressed we were with his maturity, and he turned out to be one of the very hardest workers in the organization, which you never know when you draft a kid. That’s obviously great. And not surprisingly, he’s been one of the very best athletes in the organization. We knew that going in, given what we saw on the field and his basketball exploits coming out of high school.”

“I can’t say enough about how proud we are of what he’s done this far in his young pro career and especially this season,” Elias said. “It was about as meteoric of a season as you’ll see. Anytime a guy goes across three levels and excels at each one, and especially when that third level is the major leagues, it bodes very, very well for the future.”

There’s more stuff in the article about how the O’s developed him.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Probably, but I'm having visions of a super Ben Zobrist or Tony Phillips. 

Talk about a guy who was ahead of his time.  He'd be making a ton if he played today.

I dunno, I'd like to see Gunnar settle in somewhere but maybe he could be a guy who can play multiple roles.  That said, I don't think that can stay forever.  I mean, Jackson Holliday should be here in a couple, maybe three years and then what?  If Henderson is at 3rd, Holliday is at SS or vice versa.  You've got the left side of the infield set until the end of the decade.  At that point it wouldn't make sense to keep moving him around.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch has an article up with comments from Elias about the O’s selection of Henderson in 2019 and his rise to the majors this year.  

There’s more stuff in the article about how the O’s developed him.

Great article, I read it a few minutes ago.  IMO, this is the area where Roch really shines.  Yes, it's a fluff piece but it's a good fluff piece.

The alternate site during Covid-19 really seemed to help him a lot and turned some heads in the organization.  Without that, who knows?  Good bet he still develops because of his work ethic but maybe that sped things up a bit.