ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

Essentially the situation comes down to this:

OH insiders believe Tex is coming to the Os and the deal is complete.

The media and Sox insiders believe Tex is going to the Sox and the deal is complete.

OH members believe Tex is coming to the Os and hope the deal is complete.

Sox "fans" believe Tex is going to the Sox and hope the deal is complete.

`

Yeah and I'm sure Boras is telling:

The Red Sox FO that that Yankees are about to raise their offer.

The Yankees that Tex is about to sign with the Red Sox.

The Orioles that both the Red Sox and Yankees have offered 20 years at $30m/yr

The Nationals that they must offer 100 years at $50m per year.

And no one but Tex knows for sure what's going to happen...or maybe even Mrs Tex is the only one who truly knows.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know things are out of hand around here when we start making papal references about Tex. And besides, Tex's OPS+, VORP and UZR is way healthier than the pope's, no disrespect to His Holiness.

Awesome. Reminds me of the Babe Ruth quote about holding out for more money than the President (Hoover): "I had a better year than he did"

Guest rbrhett
Yeah and I'm sure Boras is telling:

The Red Sox FO that that Yankees are about to raise their offer.

The Yankees that Tex is about to sign with the Red Sox.

The Orioles that both the Red Sox and Yankees have offered 20 years at $30m/yr

The Nationals that they must offer 100 years at $50m per year.

And no one but Tex knows for sure what's going to happen...or maybe even Mrs Tex is the only one who truly knows.

I'd take the Nationals deal....

Gammons still reporting it's between the Angels and Red Sox and that Peter Angelos is not "inclinied" to match the offers from those two.

If Teixeira signs with the Orioles he will have lost a lot of credibility.

Man, I hope Gammons is proven wrong here. His bias for the Sux makes me want to vomit.

Gammons still reporting it's between the Angels and Red Sox and that Peter Angelos is not "inclinied" to match the offers from those two.

I know it is bad to put down these sports reporters, but honestly, Peter Gammons is always going to throw the Red Sox in as a favorite to land any big player on the free agent market. He has always been a true fan of the Sox.

And I agree... He should lose a lot of credibility if the O's do end up getting Tex.

If Tex does sign with us, it will be major egg on the face of the national media. That's why I'm getting the feeling that it's not really going to happen. I would think there would be a little more buzz than Ravech's report.

I believe that Belkast is getting good info, and his source is reliable. I just wouldn't be surprised if Boras is using this information to get more out of the Red Sox or Yankees.

Just one man's opinion here....

Completely agree. And I've never had anything negative to say about Gammons. But not only because I want to see Tex sign, but because he's been so stubborn about refusing to believe anything positive about the O's. I wonder where he's getting his info about the O's. From his Red Sox connections?

Sounds like the exact same report from yesterday, right down to the term "inclined". I like Pete, but it makes me feel good to keep in mind that the ESPN insiders are wrong just about as much as our own insiders. Not to knock our insiders of course, just stating that even the "professionals" don't know what's going on.

Tony,

I know this is how things get started on here. But wasn't Gammons comment even vaguer than that? Like Angeloes was never inclined to get in on this? I just feel like everyone rags on the insiders on here and says the national media is shooting it down so the insiders are wrong. Well where do you think Gammons gets his info? From insiders as well. If the Orioles and Tex wanted to seriously keep this thing under wraps they could. Don't get mad at the media. Don't get mad at the insiders. They are just trying to keep us informed to the best of their ability.

And everyone...try and be grown ups about it and don't get to emotionally attached to one report or the other. We will all know for sure soon enough!

Man, I hope Gammons is proven wrong here. His bias for the Sux makes me want to vomit.

Look at the ESPN feed of him in his latest report; what is in the background, the bridge that is part of the infamous Big Dig project in BAWSTON.

The knock on Tex as seen through sock colored glasses is that if he signs with an "inferior" team, he's just a mercenary solely influenced by money. In the same breath they contentedly mention the size of the contract they are throwing at him. It's more schizophrenic than ironic.

Tony,

I know this is how things get started on here. But wasn't Gammons comment even vaguer than that? Like Angeloes was never inclined to get in on this? I just feel like everyone rags on the insiders on here and says the national media is shooting it down so the insiders are wrong. Well where do you think Gammons gets his info? From insiders as well. If the Orioles and Tex wanted to seriously keep this thing under wraps they could. Don't get mad at the media. Don't get mad at the insiders. They are just trying to keep us informed to the best of their ability.

And everyone...try and be grown ups about it and don't get to emotionally attached to one report or the other. We will all know for sure soon enough!

In one report earlier this morning (the same one?) Gammons said Angelos was not inclined to outbid the NATS!

This is like deciphering the Rosetta stone.

All the teams are keeping a tight lid on any concrete info. Roch said maybe in his blog this morning. Gammons says Sox and Angels. Ravich says O's. My brain is turning to mush and I have to work today. Somebody talk to a janitor in the Warehouse and get some inside info.

A couple years ago I posted in a thread that Gammons was the biggest Red Sox homer and that it was evident in his reporting.

You should have seen how I was flamed on this board and how people stood up for him.

As far as Tex is concerned, I'll believe it when I see the presser.

Archived