ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

The question for me is what are we expecting Teixeira to represent? Markakis and Roberts are good team players and either would be good choices to be the face of the Orioles. Markakis would be a better choice due to his youth. Teixeira is from Maryland AND is a likely All-Star for the next 5+ years.

The Orioles need Teixeira to prove to other players that we can land the top guy. If we lose Mark (Who has ties to this team) to a team like Boston, it gives free agents, media outlets, and other organizations another opportunity to laugh at us. No team has fallen from greatness more than the Orioles. The 1966-1983 Orioles were a model franchise. From 1966-1971 there wasn't a better team in the game. We may not have many Hall of Famers, but our group is stronger than most. We need to be relevant again and if that means bidding on a guy like Teixeira than so be it. I would rather the Orioles give $23 Million per to Mark than $18-$20 Million for the next yahoo who signs here because the money is good.

Why on Earth would a man like Andy MacPhail give $18-$20 million to a yahoo? I suspect he's having a hard enough time swallowing the proposition of giving Mark Teixeira that kind of money, which may or may not be a criticism of AM.

Winning 90 games a year on a sustained basis will make the Orioles relevant again. Signing Teixeira is only one of several ways that could happen. After all, the ability to spend $18-$23 million a year gives you lots of options, and only a fool would fail to consider each of them. Let's not overcomplicate matters, in the end, this is not about public opinion, or history, or who's the "face of the franchise", it's about winning baseball games next year and the year after.

Most certainly this is not about whether other organizations might laugh at us. Spending that kind of money on one player is a huge risk. Allowing oneself to be stampeded into a decision one way or another would be the height of irresponsibility.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW or Read into this as much or as little as you want....but i've just received a message from my guy saying....We got him. Hangouter's rejoice.

Here's hoping your guy is right! Certain things about the contract will determine how excited I end up being. For now I'll just hope for some confirmation in the morning.

Why on Earth would a man like Andy MacPhail give $18-$20 million to a yahoo? I suspect he's having a hard enough time swallowing the proposition of giving Mark Teixeira that kind of money, which may or may not be a criticism of AM.

Winning 90 games a year on a sustained basis will make the Orioles relevant again. Signing Teixeira is only one of several ways that could happen. After all, the ability to spend $18-$23 million a year gives you lots of options, and only a fool would fail to consider each of them. Let's not overcomplicate matters, in the end, this is not about public opinion, or history, or who's the "face of the franchise", it's about winning baseball games next year and the year after.

Most certainly this is not about whether other organizations might laugh at us. Spending that kind of money on one player is a huge risk. Allowing oneself to be stampeded into a decision one way or another would be the height of irresponsibility.

I was making a point about it being easier to rationalize a $20+ Million salary on a hometown guy than $18 Million on just another hired gun. I know AM is a smarter baseball mind than anyone on this board. I know he wouldn't do that.

We got him

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm up working on a paper, and the energy drink was starting to wear off, so I was considering going to sleep to pick it up later in the morning, but this has kicked in the natural adrenaline! Thanks! :clap3:

That's a pretty cool post. So he does have that sentimental side that we all want to hear about.

Of course, with that said- whenever I visit Baltimore, I do the same stuff- visiting my old stomping grounds, and any place I carved in my name to a tree or cement- and I have no intentions of moving back anytime soon... although a $200 million offer might change all that! :) (Heck, I'm not greedy, $1 million would be enough) :)

The tower at MSJ's is just a place where all the graduating class signs their name. My bro took a picture of Mark's at the reunion. My brother remembers being in gym class softball and making a great leap to snag one of Mark's hits at third.

When my brother who was in an entirely different social group at MSJ's wants Mark to come back to Baltimore, I'm all for it. I just always think that there's something in the water in Maryland that makes everyone from here seem okay in my book, regardless of anything. There's something real about the people in Maryland, and maybe I'm speaking above my knowledge, but I'll go with it for now.

I haven't seen anybody say he has been, he is supposedly friends with an Orioles top 10 prospect and a member of the FO.

But I haven't heard anyone say he hasn't. He's been posting stuff from his "source" for days now, you'd think if the mods disapproved they'd step in and say so. I'm optimistic!

But I haven't heard anyone say he hasn't. He's been posting stuff from his "source" for days now, you'd think if the mods disapproved they'd step in and say so. I'm optimistic!

It's cool that everyone's living by the foma and all, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Too many finals to study for.

Wow...that post is going to cause a serious freakout in about three hours. Can we get an over-under on how quick the board goes down. I say by 7:15 a.m.

No way to verify it now. But it would kick off one of the great days in O's history, if true. Let's hope our man isn't a Red Sox fan playing a twisted practical joke.

Archived