Utterly disastrous start to the season...

DocJJ

Kjerstad- out months with hamstring injury

Rutschman- injured and still hasn't played, though should return soon.  Still, disappointing...

Cowser- .214 1 hr 5 rbi 24 K's in 55 AB's. WTF????

Mayo- .232 2 10 

Vavra- Injured and Out after a good start

Yusniel Diaz- see Vavra

I know the season is young, but this is just an absolutely dreadful start to the year...  sigh....   We can't have nice things...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don’t consider it disastrous at all.  Others have pointed out that we’ve had a number of minor leaguers off to good starts.   Three of our four affiliates have winning records.   Injuries are going to happen.   There have been a few disappointments but overall I’m pleased with the MiL season so far.   

Yeah, you look at any major league organization and it's going to be a mixed bag of its minor league prospects excelling and struggling when you go down the list. 

If you look at our top 20 for example, aside from the few injuries and rehab delays there are definitely more players having success than struggling. 

With all that said, if Grayson Rodriguez was hurt or struggling in Triple A I think it could be argued that it's been a disastrous start considering the other top prospects who have yet to play a minor league game this season.  But that's not where we are at.  He has been excellent and should be in Baltimore very soon. 

Lol what? 

There are so, so many more positive developments than negative right now. Because there are so, so many good players in the system. In years past, what the OP listed would have effectively ruined the minor league prospect season. Now it's barely a blip on the radar. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Those are all disappointing, but the starts that Westburg, Henderson, Haskin, Prieto, Norby, Rhodes, GrayRod, Bradish, Rom and several other players have had is quite promising.

Stowers, Chace, Vespi, Bannon, Nevin all having a great start as well. 

• Upvote 2

The injuries have piled up a bit lately. Hernaiz is out as well, a hamstring I heard. But it is the same in many organizations right now. 

Unrelated, but look at all of the injuries in the college game. Particularly in the starting pitching crop. 

21 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

The injuries have piled up a bit lately. Hernaiz is out as well, a hamstring I heard. But it is the same in many organizations right now. 

Unrelated, but look at all of the injuries in the college game. Particularly in the starting pitching crop. 

Hernaiz back in there looks like. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:03 PM, DocJJ said:

Kjerstad- out months with hamstring injury

Rutschman- injured and still hasn't played, though should return soon.  Still, disappointing...

Cowser- .214 1 hr 5 rbi 24 K's in 55 AB's. WTF????

Mayo- .232 2 10 

Vavra- Injured and Out after a good start

Yusniel Diaz- see Vavra

I know the season is young, but this is just an absolutely dreadful start to the year...  sigh....   We can't have nice things...

So Mayo approaching .900 OPS crosses him off this list, I would think. Rutschman is also back on track. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bump:

Norby .247

Cowser .253 (with 32 K's)

Westburg .195 

Stowers .235

Kjerstad- still no professional at-bats 

On the positive side:

Diaz .356 (until he gets hurt again)

Mayo .270

Haskin .328

Rutschman .428 (only a handful of appearances)

Henderson .289

1 minute ago, DocJJ said:

Bump:

Norby .247

Cowser .253 (with 32 K's)

Westburg .195 

Stowers .235

Kjerstad- still no professional at-bats 

On the positive side:

Diaz .356 (until he gets hurt again)

Mayo .270

Haskin .328

Rutschman .428 (only a handful of appearances)

Henderson .289

Can we not use BA?  OPS would be a little more useful.

Not that BA is meaningless but it doesn’t tell the whole story. Other than Westburg the others you mention under the negative category have decent overall numbers but are currently in slumps. 

Still too early to draw any conclusions.

• Upvote 1