The O’s through 16 games, 2018-22

Frobby

2018: 5-11, 51 runs scored, 86 runs allowed

2019: 6-10, 71 runs scored, 105 runs allowed

2020: 9-7, 81 runs scored, 73 runs allowed

2021: 7-9, 64 runs scored, 69 runs allowed

2022: 6-10, 44 runs scored, 57 runs allowed

My takeaway?   You can’t make too much of anything that’s happened so far.  The pitching last year was quite respectable through 16 games but was absolutely awful by the time the year ended.   The offense has been putrid so far but showed some signs of life this weekend.   We got off to a better start each of the last two years but faltered.   We’ll see if this team progresses as the season goes along, or sputters badly.  

• Upvote 1

I've probably watched only about half the innings we've played so far this year but I've seen a lot of hard balls hit in the air directly at outfielders.  Mullins, Mancini, and Hays will pick it up.  Mateo has had some good at bats/swings and not much to show for it and Urias can also be expected to improve on his current performance. 

There is still a lot of dead weight in the lineup, especially when Owings or McKenna are in there.  But the offense should improve significantly where as the pitching will inevitably come back down to earth.  Not a bad defensive team. 

There are enough ingredients that we shouldn't be looking at another 100 plus loss season IMO.  Feels more like a 90-95 loss team. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I've probably watched only about half the innings we've played so far this year but I've seen a lot of hard balls hit in the air directly at outfielders.  Mullins, Mancini, and Hays will pick it up.  Mateo has had some good at bats/swings and not much to show for it and Urias can also be expected to improve on his current performance. 

There is still a lot of dead weight in the lineup, especially when Owings or McKenna are in there.  But the offense should improve significantly where as the pitching will inevitably come back down to earth.  Not a bad defensive team. 

There are enough ingredients that we shouldn't be looking at another 100 plus loss season IMO.  Feels more like a 90-95 loss team. 

Plus playing the NL Central,probably the weakest division top to bottom helps. Plus a rebuilding Nationals team that might be close to as bad as the Orioles 

10 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Plus playing the NL Central,probably the weakest division top to bottom helps. Plus a rebuilding Nationals team that might be close to as bad as the Orioles 

I don't think the Nats are "close to as bad as the Orioles".   I think they are worse.   I said as much on Opening Day (see link below).

And as for the Nats "rebuilding"  -- they made the one big trade last year.   But they have 23rd rated farm system, and they have over a quarter of a billion dollars owed to Corbin and Strasburg, one of whom appears to be washed up and the other who is not pitching due to a very serious injury and IF he does get healthy he'll be mid 30s and several years on from his last competitive pitching. 

I think we finish with a better record than the Nats this year, probably by a close margin, and I think that margin is only going to grow in 2023, 2024, and 2025.

My Opening Day win total post:

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

My takeaway?   You can’t make too much of anything that’s happened so far.  The pitching last year was quite respectable through 16 games but was absolutely awful by the time the year ended.   The offense has been putrid so far but showed some signs of life this weekend.   We got off to a better start each of the last two years but faltered.   We’ll see if this team progresses as the season goes along, or sputters badly.  

The endless rebuild, sickening, fans deserve better. Hopefully soon. Ownership needs to change first.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

It seems to suggest there's some sort of correlation between runs scored, runs allowed and the win/loss record.  I'm going to dig in to this more and report back.  🤣

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The endless rebuild, sickening, fans deserve better. Hopefully soon. Ownership needs to change first.

I guess I'm weird, but I've honestly enjoyed this entire rebuild. It's so much better than just losing out of pure incompetence/mistakes/buffoonery. I'm not sure if you were around for the early 2000s or not, but phew. This era is easy breezy compared to that dumpster fire. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm weird, but I've honestly enjoyed this entire rebuild. 

I've enjoyed the development of Mountcastle, Mullins and Means at the ML level.  Hays and Santander too, to some extent.  And, the bullpen guys this year. 

I've really enjoyed checking the minor league boxscores, especially this year.  Every time Rodriguez, Bradish, and Rom pitch, I've been sure to check it out.  Now I can add DL Hall and even Velez to the list.  Always checking Bowie and now Aberdeen scores for the position prospects.  Have to admit, I don't know too many of the players on Delmarva's roster though.