Is the overslot strategy worth it?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t that what we basically did with Creed Willems?  It seems like it. Why else wait so late to draft him if we liked him so much?  

The overslot theory has some risk. It seems pretty obvious that Jud Fabian was the guy we really wanted and we tried to lure him with $3 million. Fabian had a huge year. If he takes that $3 million that would make the Cowser pick look so much better. Imagine Cowser, Fabian, and Rhodes?

I hope we take Druw Jones this draft even if it means being more risky and having to go overslot on a HS bat vs an NCAA bat. 

Word is he wanted to take the O's money but the Red Sox picked him.

He didn't sign with the Red Sox and I have to wonder if the deal offered by the O's inflated his demands?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word is he wanted to take the O's money but the Red Sox picked him.

He didn't sign with the Red Sox and I have to wonder if the deal offered by the O's inflated his demands?

Forgot that part.  Good point. But that’s part of the risk in going under slot then overslot. It seems like last year we were left without a partner. Rhodes was a heck of a pick. 

I’m confident in our drafting. Sometimes guys fall to you, sometimes they don’t. I don’t blame them for Kjerstad having a rare heart condition during a plague. I will be nervous though if we pass up on Druw Jones. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Forgot that part.  Good point. But that’s part of the risk in going under slot then overslot. It seems like last year we were left without a partner. Rhodes was a heck of a pick. 

I’m confident in our drafting. Sometimes guys fall to you, sometimes they don’t. I don’t blame them for Kjerstad having a rare heart condition during a plague. I will be nervous though if we pass up on Druw Jones. 

I wasn't sure if Kjerstad's Hit tool was strong enough to warrant going CO with 1-2 but that is water under the bridge at this point.