Is the overslot strategy worth it?

Jake Arrieta was an overslot 5th rounder and he won a Cy Young Award.

I'm just not sure there are enough data points to make any determinations.

Any list of draftees will be peppered with guys that didn't make it. Tough to be surprised that a fifth rounder that was paid like a third rounder didn't make it when only 2 third rounders from the same draft produced anything in the Majors.

Also, I don't think we are ready to pass judgments on the high schoolers from the 2016 and 2017 drafts quite yet.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, panick said:

Is there information about the first round players in these years that were paid slot or above? It would be interesting to see how many of them ever made it to the majors.

As you said, the draft is a crapshoot.

Sure there is but the first rounders are irrelevant to this aspect of things because the discussion is revolved around spending less on that first pick to spend more later.

The data is certainly tough to dig through.  Lots of moving pieces as well.

Of the 11 over-slot guys you have listed in 2017, 9 were drafted from HS.  It's a gamble, for sure.  But I look at it like getting into a private company before it IPOs.  There's no guarantee either way, but it's a way of using one years draft to get ahead of a player's college uptrend.  

There are at least 3 guys on the path to be difference makers out of the 32 names you have listed (Luzardo, McKenzie, Melendez).  Guess it depends on where the teams went under-slot to be able to pay these 32 players to compare hit rates.

Luzardo - #94 (Was had no 1st, took Carter Kieboom and Dane Dunning @ #28/29, Sheldon Neuse @ #58 - all have played in the MLB)

McKenzie - #42 (in 2015 Cle took Brady Aiken at 1.17 - In 2014 Aiken was drafted 1.1 by Houston.  Ranked #1 by Keith Law in 2014 and drafted by Houston while Elias was there.  Houston offered him $1.5m below slot.  Ultimately, Aiken didn't sign and it removed the draft slot money from the rest of their pool of money.  Meaning, the over-slot guy couldn't sign either.  He had TJ surgery before the 2015 draft and must not have returned to form because his MiLB numbers weren't good.  Cleveland knew about the TJ surgery and still took the gamble.)

Melendez - #52 (KC took Nick Pratto at 1.14 - both still considered top prospects).

A 10% shot at a difference maker and still have a 3/5 hit rate on the other picks.  And the 4th/Pratto looking like he'll soon be a hit.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The data is certainly tough to dig through.  Lots of moving pieces as well.

Of the 11 over-slot guys you have listed in 2017, 9 were drafted from HS.  It's a gamble, for sure.  But I look at it like getting into a private company before it IPOs.  There's no guarantee either way, but it's a way of using one years draft to get ahead of a player's college uptrend.  

There are at least 3 guys on the path to be difference makers out of the 32 names you have listed (Luzardo, McKenzie, Melendez).  Guess it depends on where the teams went under-slot to be able to pay these 32 players to compare hit rates.

Luzardo - #94 (Was had no 1st, took Carter Kieboom and Dane Dunning @ #28/29, Sheldon Neuse @ #58 - all have played in the MLB)

McKenzie - #42 (in 2015 Cle took Brady Aiken at 1.17 - In 2014 Aiken was drafted 1.1 by Houston.  Ranked #1 by Keith Law in 2014 and drafted by Houston while Elias was there.  Houston offered him $1.5m below slot.  Ultimately, Aiken didn't sign and it removed the draft slot money from the rest of their pool of money.  Meaning, the over-slot guy couldn't sign either.  He had TJ surgery before the 2015 draft and must not have returned to form because his MiLB numbers weren't good.  Cleveland knew about the TJ surgery and still took the gamble.)

Melendez - #52 (KC took Nick Pratto at 1.14 - both still considered top prospects).

A 10% shot at a difference maker and still have a 3/5 hit rate on the other picks.  And the 4th/Pratto looking like he'll soon be a hit.

10% isn’t big enough to pass on a superior talent though.

And btw, these teams could have still taken these guys as well.  It just means you can’t spend as much as you go through your draft.

First of all, this is really good research and I always like being presented with some facts, rather than rhetoric.  

I will say that the story hasn’t necessarily been written yet on all these guys, especially the high school guys from 2016-17.   I haven’t gone through the list in detail, but at some point I will.

I generally agree with your conclusion.   I do think it depends a bit on exactly what your opinion is about the gap in talent between one guy and the next, and what it is they are demanding in salary.  You wouldn’t overlook a large gap in talent to save $500 k; if it’s very close to a toss-up in your opinion, then maybe you do.     

21 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Jake Arrieta was an overslot 5th rounder and he won a Cy Young Award.

I'm just not sure there are enough data points to make any determinations.

Any list of draftees will be peppered with guys that didn't make it. Tough to be surprised that a fifth rounder that was paid like a third rounder didn't make it when only 2 third rounders from the same draft produced anything in the Majors.

Also, I don't think we are ready to pass judgments on the high schoolers from the 2016 and 2017 drafts quite yet.

Jake was under the old rules which didn't cap spending.

There was no penalty for "going overslot" (no actual slots) back then.

The Astros’ 2015 draft is interesting.   They went $1.5 mm under slot for Alex Bregman at no. 2 ($5.9 mm signing), $200 k under slot for Kyle Tucker at no. 5 ($4 mm), then $2.3 mm overslot for Daz Cameron at no. 37.    Bregman and Tucker have both been fantastic picks; Daz has made it to the majors but has largely been a non-factor.   Notably, the amounts saved on Bregman and Tucker are less than the overslot payment to Cameron, so the Astros had to go underslot on some later picks to get Cameron.   Overall, I’m sure Astros fans aren’t complaining about a draft that yielded two star players.  They also signed Myles Straw (4.8 rWAR) for $100 k as a 12th rounder, and Patrick Sandoval (3.2 rWAR) for $900 k as an overslot 11th rounder.   All in all, a very interesting and successful draft that has produced 42 rWAR already.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Astros’ 2015 draft is interesting.   They went $1.5 mm under slot for Alex Bregman at no. 2 ($5.9 mm signing), $200 k under slot for Kyle Tucker at no. 5 ($4 mm), then $2.3 mm overslot for Daz Cameron at no. 37.    Bregman and Tucker have both been fantastic picks; Daz has made it to the majors but has largely been a non-factor.   Notably, the amounts saved on Bregman and Tucker are less than the overslot payment to Cameron, so the Astros had to go underslot on some later picks to get Cameron.   Overall, I’m sure Astros fans aren’t complaining about a draft that yielded two star players.  They also signed Myles Straw (4.8 rWAR) for $100 k as a 12th rounder, and Patrick Sandoval (3.2 rWAR) for $900 k as an overslot 11th rounder.   All in all, a very interesting and successful draft that has produced 42 rWAR already.   

Cameron was also the main piece in the Verlander trade.  

• Upvote 1