Looks like the 2019 version of Mullins

DocJJ

I know the season is still early, but he is really struggling.  I figured some kind of regression was likely from last years' All-Star season.  I wasn't excited by the idea of trading him while at his peak value, but if this keeps up that might have been a wise idea in hindsight....

8 hours ago, oldfan said:

Getting pitched hard inside.

Agree, seems like a different approach.  Down and in, he hits.  Middle up, he hits.  Hard in he struggles.  Seems like he's standing closer to the plate, but no evidence to back that up.

Also, seems like he's K'ing more, wondering if the new hitting coach approach has requested something different of him - a 30-30 guy.

4 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Agree, seems like a different approach.  Down and in, he hits.  Middle up, he hits.  Hard in he struggles.  Seems like he's standing closer to the plate, but no evidence to back that up.

Also, seems like he's K'ing more, wondering if the new hitting coach approach has requested something different of him - a 30-30 guy.

If you were a new hitting coach, would you try and make changes to a player that hit like Cedric last year?

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well let's go to the data so we can forget about our biased opinions for second:

Year      EV       Barrel%     Sweetspot%    xBA     xSLG    xWOBA   hard hit%     K%        BB%
2019     84.2       1.9%             18.9%         .171     .255         .231         17%           18.9%    5.4%
2022    89.2       12.3%           28.1%         .257    .489        .363          44%          20%      8.2%  

So no, no he does not look in anyway shape or form like the player he was in 2019.

Thank you!

14 hours ago, oldfan said:

Getting pitched hard inside.

The numbers say not much more than last year. Mullins has always been a middle-away hitter for the most part and can get jammed inside, but it's not a significant issue inside yet.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well let's go to the data so we can forget about our biased opinions for a second:

Year      EV       Barrel%     Sweetspot%    xBA     xSLG    xWOBA   hard hit%     K%        BB%
2019     84.2       1.9%             18.9%         .171     .255         .231         17%           18.9%    5.4%
2022    89.2       12.3%           28.1%         .257    .489        .363          44%          20%      8.2%  

So no, no he does not look in anyway shape or form like the player he was in 2019.

Awesome, where's this data from?  Is it comparable to 2021?  (Happy to look myself if I knew where to look).

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well let's go to the data so we can forget about our biased opinions for a second:

That's good info. I'm the first to admit that I don't understand most of the advanced stats.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:37 PM, maybenxtyr said:

That's good info. I'm the first to admit that I don't understand most of the advanced stats.

From  baseball savant: 

Expected Outcome stats help to remove defense and ballpark from the equation to express the skill shown at the moment of batted ball contact. By looking at the exit velocity and launch angle of each batted ball, a Hit Probability is assigned based on the outcomes of comparable historic balls in play. By accumulating the expected outcomes of each batted ball with actual strikeouts, walks and hit by pitches, Expected Batting Average (xBA), Expected Slugging (xSLG), and (most importantly) Expected Weighted On-Base Average (xwOBA) tell the story of a player's season based on quality of and amount of contact, not outcomes.
* Qualifiers: 2.1 PA per team game for batters, 1.25 PA per team game for pitchers.

Basically the statistics with "x" in front are expected stats. If you go into the leaderboards for each statistical category there is an explanation at the top.

• Upvote 2