The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Perhaps it time for you to return to the Red Sox boards!:angryfire:

I can understand your frustration with this Red Sox fan, but he has been respectful with his comments and he is right with that comment. You can't apply a "blanket" to anything when it comes to negotiations. If that happened, nothing would get done and there would be plenty of PO'd people both in baseball and in the corporate world.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sun just posted a story about the Sox and Tex getting close to an agreement. One line that I found pretty interesting was this...

"Contacted early tonight, Orioles president Andy MacPhail was unaware of the TV report. He would not comment on any speculative offers, but said he had not been informed by anyone in the Boras camp that a deal was pending."

This tells me that MacPhail expects Boras to get back with him before he lets Tex sign with another team. In other words, it doesn't sound like Tex is worried about a deal getting done with another team without being given a chance to up our offer. I am still hopeful that we are going to be given the last shot.:)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-teixeira1218,0,7021656.story

I think if Macphail believed he was out of this he would have had the perfect opportunity to mention it at this point. I just can't believe he would string everyone along if he truly felt he didn't have a shot at this.

We will see how this plays out but it seems like the O's think they will get one more shot at this thing.

Guest BrettMeister86

Can somebody tell me why a salary cap and individual salary restriction similar to the NFL cannot be instituted.

Think of it this way... all MLB contracts have a max annual value of 15 mil per yr. All contracts past that year are pro-rated at that rate. Okay so higher paid players go on strike? Now somebody tell me another job they can do where they'll make 15 mil per year. Overseas? Nope. The market isn't as strong and even Japan doesn't have the money to pay that kind of money.

So the higher paid players go on strike. Who cares? Eventually I think they will realize that they aren't getting more elsewhere this isn't the NBA and Olympiakos and they will be forced to accept. Same with the salary cap. All but maybe 6 teams would open up to a majority vote and would pass. Any team that didn't like it? Tough. You can whine all you want but those are the rules don't like it? Get out.

An individual salary cap would work however go on strike or be paid 15 mil a year. Don't like it? Try another country they won't pay more.

Seriously guys, you're missing the point. Next time, though, I'll make sure I use the right math and show my work if that makes it better.

I think people are just getting impatient and want this whole ordeal to be over with and they are overreacting to anything. Just let it roll off your shoulder and keep on keepin' on.:)

I think if Macphail believed he was out of this he would have had the perfect opportunity to mention it at this point. I just can't believe he would string everyone along if he truly felt he didn't have a shot at this.

We will see how this plays out but it seems like the O's think they will get one more shot at this thing.

Lets just hope it doesn't end up like the Braves.

One can only hope the Sux won't offer what Boras is looking for and leave defeated...

The WBZ report gives me hope as the Sux and Tex seems far apart on the money end of the deal...

I'm sorry but I agree with your prior posts. If Henry, Lucchino and Epstein all went to Texas to meet face-to-face, then I believe they already have a ballpark number that has been agreed to and now they are hammering out specifics. Add to that the fact that Boras has been negotiating with teams for two weeks now so the number should be really close if it's not already agreed upon. I hope I am wrong but I will be very surprised if this is not wrapped up by the weekend.

Why is that? I'm simply pointing out that my take on the Red Sox strategy is plausible...and it could be successful.

Not sure why you would take offense to that?

Don't worry man, it's just an emotional issue for a lot of O's fans.

Right around now is when you'll need thick skin, just as a heads up. You're a classy guy and a very knowledgeable fan, so I hope peeps aren't too hard on ya just because you're one of "them".

Agreed.

If he took a take it or leave it in this situation it would mean one of two things...1) Teix only wants to play for the Sox 2) Boras handled this negotiation poorly.

From what the media is reporting the Sox are not outpacing the rest of the field enough and there is no indication that the rest of the field won't match, so for him to fold at this point would show a lack of negotiating skill.

I agree with your point. Boras would only accept such an offer if Teixeira has decided that the Red Sox are his best option and they are simply seeing how high they can get the Sox to go.

If he has not decided that...then I really believe the Red Sox walk away. That's just how they do business.

This is so over... what's the point in continually arguing or speculating?

Once the Yanks signed Burnett and CC... you knew the Sox would go above and beyond to compete with the Yanks. It was almost a done deal.

I hate the fact that a divisional rival, like Sox, has the ability to do this... but this is simply the state of the MLB.

In some ways, this makes me all the more angry about how the Orioles have been guided into the ground by Angelos... even if he has brought in a GM to make some changes... now I'm even mad that Angelos bagged John Miller (all over again!!!!!!).

Agh! This owner just shafted the team and the city with his pitiful tantrum that lasted for years... if he had focused on keeping the team, the team image, and national marketing healthy then we wouldn't be in this situation right now.

But, that's not the case and reality is reality. It is going to take years and YEARS of major luck to get the Orioles to a place where they will be able to compete with the Sox and Yanks. Until then, you can expect another decade of Camden Stadium invasions.

CURSES.

Can somebody tell me why a salary cap and individual salary restriction similar to the NFL cannot be instituted.

Think of it this way... all MLB contracts have a max annual value of 15 mil per yr. All contracts past that year are pro-rated at that rate. Okay so higher paid players go on strike? Now somebody tell me another job they can do where they'll make 15 mil per year. Overseas? Nope. The market isn't as strong and even Japan doesn't have the money to pay that kind of money.

So the higher paid players go on strike. Who cares? Eventually I think they will realize that they aren't getting more elsewhere this isn't the NBA and Olympiakos and they will be forced to accept. Same with the salary cap. All but maybe 6 teams would open up to a majority vote and would pass. Any team that didn't like it? Tough. You can whine all you want but those are the rules don't like it? Get out.

An individual salary cap would work however go on strike or be paid 15 mil a year. Don't like it? Try another country they won't pay more.

The players union is too strong.

Also isnt it hypocritical for it to be alright for the orioles to spend 23 million a year for Tex but not alright for boston or new york to do so.

It was not that long ago when the orioles had one of the top five payrolls in the game.

You can not blame Boston and New York for spending whatever to get the best possible talent on the field.

Really Bandy ....If the WOW offer is not 8/$200 the Orioles really are not serious IMO.

So the O's need to outbid the Sox by $2mil a year for the kid from Severna Park to consider coming home? Doesn't seem likely given the past comments we have heard from Tex, regarding his fondness for the O's.

Archived