The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Can somebody tell me why a salary cap and individual salary restriction similar to the NFL cannot be instituted.

Think of it this way... all MLB contracts have a max annual value of 15 mil per yr. All contracts past that year are pro-rated at that rate. Okay so higher paid players go on strike? Now somebody tell me another job they can do where they'll make 15 mil per year. Overseas? Nope. The market isn't as strong and even Japan doesn't have the money to pay that kind of money.

So the higher paid players go on strike. Who cares? Eventually I think they will realize that they aren't getting more elsewhere this isn't the NBA and Olympiakos and they will be forced to accept. Same with the salary cap. All but maybe 6 teams would open up to a majority vote and would pass. Any team that didn't like it? Tough. You can whine all you want but those are the rules don't like it? Get out.

An individual salary cap would work however go on strike or be paid 15 mil a year. Don't like it? Try another country they won't pay more.

Because as I've said before, it is not in the interests of MLB to do it. The ratings and interest in baseball is up when the big market teams are good. Therefore, MLB makes more money when the Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, Angels and Cubs are good every year. A salary cap would make it much more difficult for those teams to sustain that success year in and year out. As we go forward, we will have more Yankees/Sox fans throughout the country because everyone likes a winner and unless the other teams are able to develop cheap young talent a la Tampa and to a greater extent, Philly, the small to mid market teams will become more irrelevant as time goes on.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with your point. Boras would only accept such an offer if Teixeira has decided that the Red Sox are his best option and they are simply seeing how high they can get the Sox to go.

If he has not decided that...then I really believe the Red Sox walk away. That's just how they do business.

Do you recall any cases where this group went to meet with a free agent and didn't come away with them agreeing to a deal?

Honestly, the posts over the last 3-4 hours have been pretty ridiculous.

1. Tex isn't signed until he's signed. Do I think he'll end up with the Red Sox? Yes. But I see no reason to cry about it unless it's actually happened.

2. Some of the posters live in a fantasy world where there are no budget constraints on the Orioles and they are on equal financial footing with the Red Sox. That's simply not true. It has always been the case that whatever the Orioles could afford to bid, the Red Sox could afford to bid more. If we don't get Tex, Angelos should not be blamed. Reality is that at a certain price, getting Tex is contrary to the long-term interests of the Orioles.

3. If we don't sign Tex, it is not the end of the franchise. It was NEVER likely that we would get Tex. The vast majority of posters have understood this from day one. Our path to success will never be through huge free agent acquisitions. Our path to success is by building more or less the way Tampa did, perhaps with an extra strategic free agent acquisition here or there to complement our young core once they are ready. Markakis, Jones, Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and a raft of other young pitchers is a very good base from which to build. Tex would have accelerated the process, but at the end of the day, it's the quality of the home grown pitching that is going to decide whether we return to contention any time in the next decade. When the pitching becomes good, we will have a competitive team, and that's when free agents will see Baltimore as a desireable destination.

Don't worry man, it's just an emotional issue for a lot of O's fans.

Right around now is when you'll need thick skin, just as a heads up. You're a classy guy and a very knowledgeable fan, so I hope peeps aren't too hard on ya just because you're one of "them".

Thanks and believe me, I understand the emotion. I went to bed last night feeling that the Orioles were going to sign Tex. That just goes to show that we have NO idea how this will turn out. Just remember how you all felt 24 hrs ago. Now it looks better for the Red Sox.

By tomorrow I might be debating the merits of signing Adam Dunn :confused:

So the O's need to outbid the Sox by $2mil a year for the kid from Severna Park to consider coming home? Doesn't seem likely given the past comments we have heard from Tex, regarding his fondness for the O's.

Agree with you on this. If Boras/Tex really do come back to the O's and give them the final shot...and they say here's the offer...and AM says we'll match it. If Tex then turns down the offer then I wouldn't fault the O's. The "hometown discount" IMO is him playing for us for the same amount he'd play for the top bidding contender for.

The players union is too strong.

Also isnt it hypocritical for it to be alright for the orioles to spend 23 million a year for Tex but not alright for boston or new york to do so.

It was not that long ago when the orioles had one of the top five payrolls in the game.

You can not blame Boston and New York for spending whatever to get the best possible talent on the field.

If not for Angelos this statement may not hold as much weight. The MLBPA owes alot to Angelos refusing to field a team of replacement players. You saw how quickly they all forgot though.

We finished 25 games under .500 last season with Roberts and Markakis. Why is that everyone thinks that keeping them will alter the below .500 product. We should not need to save money to sign our #5 draft pick in the 2009 draft. The way to get what we need is to deal Markakis, Roberts, Sherrill, and Scott. This team is going to be really bad for at least 3 more years. If they make the wrong moves, it may be longet than that. The Rays had the #1 overall pick in like 7 of the last 10 drafts.

I've had it with this garbage! I am trying to catch up after a long day and to read posts like. That thought is ridiculous Imo and it's starting to infuriate me.

TRADE MARKAKIS? Really? Our BEST player who is only going into his 4th year, with 3 years before free agency? Trade him. Who are you going to trade him for? Since when is ANY trade a guaranteed success- NO MATTER who you get in return??? Markakis is a guy you build AROUND- not trade for pieces that you MIGHT be able to build on.

Markakis is one player O's fans can take pride in rooting for. A player who came up thru the system and would certainly be the face of the franchise should Roberts be traded- which he no doubt will if we don't sign Tex.

Can we please have some sanity and reason here. I realize most posters here are very respectful and speak eloquently in their responses disagreeing with someone's opinion- and I completely appreciate that. I try to do the same, but right now- I can't help but react this way. My feelings are becoming torn on the Tex thing and while I know Markakis and company want to see things getting done.. I think they also are of reasonable enough minds to know that MacPhail is doing what he think is in the best interest of this team. The off-season is far from over- and I'm pretty sure he's not done.

Honestly- if it were any other team going after Tex- other than the Red Sox and Yankees- the thought of losing out on him wouldn't be nearly as bad- which is making me think this is so much more of an emotional matter than a matter of what's best. I want him and think the city needs him- but if we don't get him- signing Markakis to an extension becomes PRIORITY #1!

After alot of the comments lately, I think it's best if we all keep our emotions in check because otherwise, even if Tex were to sign here, those emotions would roll in to the season and cause him to second guess himself if he were to see the kinds of things being said. Just keep the emotions and tempers in check and I think everything will be okay.

Thanks and believe me, I understand the emotion. I went to bed last night feeling that the Orioles were going to sign Tex. That just goes to show that we have NO idea how this will turn out. Just remember how you all felt 24 hrs ago. Now it looks better for the Red Sox.

Exactly.

Do you frequent the SOSH boards?

With ALL due respect - You have no idea

I'll take that bet...

The only rub here would be if Teixeira really wants to play back home, IMO.

If Angelos and Mcphail were flying to Texas to meet with Boras this wouldn't receive any attention. It's just Boston so it's 10x more important.

I'm not sure what a hate worse... the Yankees... Red Sox fans... or the way ESPN has broken down regional barriers and allowed the floodgates of bandwagon fans to be opened.

What a toss up...

Sox Fans and ESPN almost go hand in hand.

They are topping my list.

Archived