Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Ha, thank you. Long overdue. Owings is awful. Didn’t you say yesterday he wasn’t hot enough though?:) 2 more hits last night. 

Martin is utility.

Gutierrez should be recalled (Odor cut) and play 3b, he had 2 hits last night and for whatever strange reason never got regular at bats here. If he doesn’t hit, he still gives you plus d. Matteo at SS and Urias at 2b. For a rebuilding club, defense up the middle should be top priority. 

22 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Neither is Jordan Westburg 

You know that?   I've seen Martin and Bannon more and they have a lot more history to go on.      I wouldn't venture a guess on whether Westburg will be good but some respected guys on here who know a little bit about prospects think he has a good chance to be a good player.    What do you base your opinion on?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You know that?   I've seen Martin and Bannon more and they have a lot more history to go on.      I wouldn't venture a guess on whether Westburg will be good but some respected guys on here who know a little bit about prospects think he has a good chance to be a good player.    What do you base your opinion on?

I don’t think Westburg is bad of course, but batting .179 behind a red hot hitter is not a good look.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't get why people clamor for Martin.  He's not good.

He's very obviously better than Owings in almost every single possible baseball way. 

That said, I still think he's a long shot for this roster right now as constructed. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's very obviously better than Owings in almost every single possible baseball way. 

That said, I still think he's a long shot for this roster right now as constructed. 

Why? He does everything Martin does minus a couple of  positions we have covered but better. He also has hope of hitting a fastball. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lol..that isn’t obvious at all.  Owings was putting up decent ML seasons by this point in Martin’s career.

Owings has like 7 at bats and everyone thinks Martin, a guy who is AWFUL, is a better option.  It’s hysterical.

And btw, Owings sucks too..but acting like Martin is some better option isn’t based in any form of reality.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..that isn’t obvious at all.  Owings was putting up decent ML seasons by this point in Martin’s career.

Owings has like 7 at bats and everyone thinks Martin, a guy who is AWFUL, is a better option.  It’s hysterical.

And btw, Owings sucks too..but acting like Martin is some better option isn’t based in any form of reality.

You can throw out Owings career numbers because he's clearly washed at this point in his career.

Martin is younger, faster, has better bat speed, has more power, CAN BUNT (ahem), can steal bases, can play all of the same positions but far better. Think what you want, but you'd be wrong. Martin is the better player right now. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It's the backup QB being the most popular player in town when the starting QB is terrible. Except in this circumstance none of the players in the conversation likely belong playing in MLB. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

You can throw out Owings career numbers because he's clearly washed at this point in his career.

Martin is younger, faster, has better bat speed, has more power, CAN BUNT (ahem), can steal bases, can play all of the same positions but far better. Think what you want, but you'd be wrong. Martin is the better player right now. 

Lol.  Yes, I definitely think you have had enough info to judge that Martin had better bat speed.

BTW, between 2020 and 2021, Owings had an excellent OPS in roughly 100 PA.  Obviously a SSS but about the sample size he will get overall.  Was he done then?  

Im going to say that you have zero idea what you are talking about and have no business scouting a player and saying they are done.  Just an absolutely clueless take.

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think that's obvious at all, which speaks more to what I think about Martin than Owings.   I think Owings certainly has shown more power in his career (though not much power), and overall hitting right now they're probably even.  Martin is faster and probably the better overall fielder.

Neither of them are good.  If people really want Martin to come up and replace Owings that's fine, but that's like worrying about who the 3rd string catcher is as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's the backup QB being the most popular player in town when the starting QB is terrible. Except in this circumstance none of the players in the conversation likely belong playing in MLB. 

It’s a stupid conversation.  The conversation should be..what can we do to bring in a better SS and move Mateo to a super UTI role and get rid of all these horrible players.

Instead, it’s about replacing one turd for another.  

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think that's obvious at all, which speaks more to what I think about Martin than Owings.   I think Owings certainly has shown more power in his career (though not much power), and overall hitting right now they're probably even.  Martin is faster and probably the better overall fielder.

Neither of them are good.  If people really want Martin to come up and replace Owings that's fine, but that's like worrying about who the 3rd string catcher is as far as I'm concerned.

Owings has a higher career slugging in the majors than Martin does in the minors but yea, Martin has more power.