McKenna recalled, Reyes optioned

MurphDogg

Reyes pitched well enough yesterday to avoid the DFA, given that they don't need the 40-man roster spot. 

Much prefer McKenna to Owings in left

Not sure how much of that was a mirage, would rather see most any of the other 40-man pitchers or Vespi, but it is always nice when a guy's dreams come true and he reaches the Majors.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Reyes pitched well enough yesterday to avoid the DFA, given that they don't need the 40-man roster spot. 

Not sure how much of that was a mirage, would rather see most any of the other 40-man pitchers or Vespi, but it is always nice when a guy's dreams come true and he reaches the Majors.

For the life of me I don't understand how Owings holds a spot on this team. 

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Why do you think Reyes does not need to be on the 40 man roster?

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

For the life of me I don't understand how Owings holds a spot on this team. 

Owings hasn't been a serviceable player since 2017 and I don't count playing for the Rockies the prior two seasons. It was less than 100 at bats and his offensive numbers were skewed playing at Coors Field.

Owings is probably a decent guy, but he's 30 years old now and not good defensively like McKenna. McKenna might hit just as bad as Owings, but he brings speed and can play all three outfield positions. 

Even if Owings is just a bench player it's one of the more head scratching moves by Elias. 

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why do you think Reyes does not need to be on the 40 man roster?

He wasn't on it four days ago and is just a guy, a 25 year-old minor league lifer. Probably somewhere around the 8th best pitcher on Norfolk's roster.

Decent two innings last night to spare the bullpen though, and he can tell his kids about getting Miguel Cabrera out.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He wasn't on it four days ago and is just a guy, a 25 year-old minor league lifer. Probably somewhere around the 8th best pitcher on Norfolk's roster.

Decent two innings last night to spare the bullpen though, and he can tell his kids about getting Miguel Cabrera out.

I think they will want to see him at AAA for a while before they make a decision on him.   Doing better than Lowther.   Probably better control than Lakins.  But they need to see him pitch more.

26 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It always cracks me up that 25 is a minor league lifer but the golden boy prospect is 24. Those extra 180 days on earth really weathered these guys. Haha. 

Bold prediction… If they just play McKenna everyday, he will hit enough that it will be hard to keep his plus defense out the lineup. .700 OPS. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It always cracks me up that 25 is a minor league lifer but the golden boy prospect is 24. Those extra 180 days on earth really weathered these guys. Haha. 

More the fact that Reyes has been a professional baseball player since he signed with the Red Sox in 2014 and was signed as a minor league free agent by the Orioles this past offseason. 

His calling card is pinpoint control, but with a 4.18 ERA in AA over 209 innings with 8.9 h/9, he is not someone to get excited about. 

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

More the fact that Reyes has been a professional baseball player since he signed with the Red Sox in 2014 and was signed as a minor league free agent by the Orioles this past offseason. 

His calling card is pinpoint control, but with a 4.18 ERA in AA over 209 innings with 8.9 h/9, he is not someone to get excited about. 

I was more so making the point about how ridiculous it is that a 24 yo top prospect is still being slow played. 

• Upvote 1