Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was a bust because of a drug problem not overall talent. Talent didn't prevent him from making it to the Majors.

I wouldn't consider him a bust at all.

If they were using their #1 overall pick to take any player in the draft besides the highest ranking one and they all panned out I could see giving them some props for their selections. But don't the Rays just simply take the highest ranking player that's available in the draft, usually the #1, since they have been that bad?

I think a lot of this has to do with player development as well. Teams like the Red Sox are light years better at this it seems than most other teams.

Because he was drafted between the 1st and 2nd rounds using a draft pick we got for losing a free agent I'm assuming? Isn't that how it works?

We got it because when Wade Townsend came out of Rice, we didn't sign him. Probably because his arm was being held together by a rubber band and some chewing gum.

You can make a huge argument that the minor league system is much more responsible for the production of MLB caliber talent than the actual players you put into the system.

I think the Raiders are an example of a team that can draft top talent (McFadden, Russell, for example) and not be able to get them to put anything together because of the environment they have to play in. Look at Fabian Washington coming out of Oakland to play for the Ravens; 1st round Raiders pick in 2005. He publicly commented about how miserable the Raiders franchise is to play for and now he's effectively our starting CB, and pretty good at it, I think.

Red Sox and Angels can turn out productive first round picks because they have systems that nurture growth, whereas I have a feeling that systems like the Orioles in the past have been somewhat miserable, so our percentage of successful first rounders are going to be less. I think it's changing for the better these days, so the Orioles will someday come back on top.

Well, Roch says it is looking not so good.

http://masnsports.com/2008/12/the-days-second-teixeira-refer.html

"The Orioles aren't setting up for a press conference today to introduce Mark Teixeira to the local media. They're not arranging a physical. Optimism isn't flowing through the halls of the B&O warehouse."

Who said that they were doing this stuff today? I didnt even know we were in grounds to talk about those things.

If they were using their #1 overall pick to take any player in the draft besides the highest ranking one and they all panned out I could see giving them some props for their selections. But don't the Rays just simply take the highest ranking player that's available in the draft, usually the #1, since they have been that bad?

I see your point... Someone also mentioned not drafting well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Where were Crawford, Sheilds and Baldelli drafted? Were they all 1st rounders? I'm not positive but I don't think Crawford and Sheilds were. I'm not sure about Baldelli.

Who said that they were doing this stuff today? I didnt even know we were in grounds to talk about those things.

That is kind of a strange comment. I could see his point if there were rumors that Tex had made up his mind and an announcement is imminent but no one is reporting anything like that...

Then why didn't we get the spot were Townsend was picked?

Because the old CBA said a team got a supplemental pick because a player doesn't sign.

Cause he went back in the draft. The draft order is based on teams records the previous year. We were given a pick in between rounds ( i.e. a compensatory pick or sandwhich if you will). That is just how it works.

The new CBA corrects this... teams will get the same spot in the next years draft.

Yeah, Roch has been reaching these past few days for stuff to write IMO.

Also, he hinted that Boras was "luring" or directing Tex to New England.......that is quite an accusation.

Archived