Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

I don't think we will get Tex, but here is a scenario feel free to shoot it apart. Tex wants to come to Balt but not for 1 dime less. MacPhail put offer on table that was in the ball park and said get what you can get and give us a final shot at meeting it with the understanding that when he comes back with his best offer, if the O's meet it there will be a window of exclusivity to hammer out the details with no further negotiations with other teams. If they cant hammer out the details, the O's will drop out.

Sounds plausible.

But I feel that something else is happening, and I can't quite put my finger on it. There is something going on that is being kept out of the media, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the Orioles getting Tex.

MSK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah but he also isn't reporting that MacPhail has stated that there is flexibility. All I am hearing is that we aren't in it at all and hometown discount etc etc etc. No mention on ESPN once about "flexibility"

He has stated that their is flexibility, but yet the O's have not shown any flexibility in their offer. EVERY SINGLE REPORTER, even our own hometown reporters say we haven't upped our offer and yet everyone on here is convinced that we have.

I do not believe we have. I am definitely starting to believe that this is the O's ploy of getting the public on their side saying that we gave it a good honest effort.

Let's see, a 5th place place team offers less money. Face it, if you were Tex, you would have a better shot at money and multiple championships in Boston.

Why would you come home for a hometown discount?

Yeah but he also isn't reporting that MacPhail has stated that there is flexibility. All I am hearing is that we aren't in it at all and hometown discount etc etc etc. No mention on ESPN once about "flexibility"

The ironic thing is that we have quotes from MacPhail saying the Orioles have "flexibility" regarding the contract negotiations with Teixeira.

Sounds plausible.

But I feel that something else is happening, and I can't quite put my finger on it. There is something going on that is being kept out of the media, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the Orioles getting Tex.

MSK

I have been pretty pessimistic about the O's getting Tex but I don't think this is very different then almost all of Boras's negotiations.

Just speculating based on the "flexible" comment as well as the appearance of inactivity on the O's part.

So we take these speculations for fact? AM's MO is neither to confirm or deny. He simply doesn't negotiate in public.

The ironic thing is that we have quotes from MacPhail saying the Orioles have "flexibility" regarding the contract negotiations with Teixeira.

I know, a direct quote from a GM in a major paper and it gets completely ignored, while Olney, Gammons and the lot report solely their "sources". I am not a big conspiracy theorist but it does seem odd that they completely ignored it.

I find it very strange that there is such a strong discrepancy between the press reports and what ALL THREE of our insiders were saying a week ago. Bigbird, Belkast and Sonny76 all reported that the O's were willing to go as far as 10/$200 mm, and maybe a little higher than that on the money. I realize bigbird's source has been the most pessimistic, but nevertheless we heard 10/$200 mm from him. So how is it that Olney now says we offered 7/$140 mm and haven't budged and won't budge?

Either all three insiders got wrong information, Olney has wrong information, or the O's are playing a very strange game of chicken.

As others have pointed out, bigbird's source seems more on the FO side while Belkast and especially Sonny's sources seem more on the ownership/Angelos side. I think its possible that what Belkast and Sonny are saying is what Angelos is willing to do, but what bigbird is saying is what MacPhail has done. MacPhail may essentially be sitting on a bigger offer trying to see if other teams will offer enough to make it necessary that we get Angelos and his extra wad of dough involved, or if we can get him for something in the 8/$160-184M range.

He has stated that their is flexibility, but yet the O's have not shown any flexibility in their offer. EVERY SINGLE REPORTER, even our own hometown reporters say we haven't upped our offer and yet everyone on here is convinced that we have.

I also think that he stated that he was waiting for Boras to come back to him. He isn't going to up his offer just to up the offer. He put a competitive offer out there and said they have flexibility and threw the ball back in Boras's court. I wouldn't up my offer either without some feedback. That is exactly what Boras wants MacPhail to do. It is also exactly what the Henry email was all about and why the Angels appear to be backing out. No one wants to bid against themselves.

Archived