Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Actually, I think we all would like to see this over BEFORE we reach thread X. We have hashed and re-hashed all salient points. Dare I say it? Could we be about blogged out on this subject?

You are right. There really is nothing left to say on this. At least until some kind of new info becomes known to us.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We probably will , but this deal isn't about NEXT year, obviously, as we are most likely going to be signing him for 8+ years!

Mark could be great for the Maryland economy. He would be dumping in enough money to fund a maryland school for all next year. He'll probably have an entire maid service, and entourage, a lawn crew, a pool boy, and an assistant. I see serious job creation and tax revenue coming from adding him to the Orioles.

We probably will , but this deal isn't about NEXT year, obviously, as we are most likely going to be signing him for 8+ years!

Agreed - all I'm saying is that when the O's start winning again, you'll see how much of a baseball town this can be.

Whether a town is a football town or a baseball town is directly related whether or not the team is winning.

Mark could be great for the Maryland economy. He would be dumping in enough money to fund a maryland school for all next year. He'll probably have an entire maid service, and entourage, a lawn crew, a pool boy, and an assistant. I see serious job creation and tax revenue coming from adding him to the Orioles.

lol.. with the kind of money he will be making, may be he can bail out maryland state government :)

Agreed - all I'm saying is that when the O's start winning again, you'll see how much of a baseball town this can be.

Whether a town is a football town or a baseball town is directly related whether or not the team is winning.

Right, and with Tex we can bring back that winning attitude and Orioles Magic! Looper and Redding don't cut it!

We'll sign a couple pitchers and save $200MM.

What if we sign Mark Teixeira and go 75-87 next year?

The heck with signnig Tex. We take the 200M and invest in cloning/genetic research. A test tube Cal at short? a copy of Brooks for third? Eddie for first and Frank for right (sorry Cakes, are you up for left?). Oh and Guts meet Misters Palmer, Mcnally and Cuellar. (Now the thread will get silly.)

The heck with signnig Tex. We take the 200M and invest in cloning/gentic researh. A test tube Cal at short? a copy of Brooks for third? Eddie for first and Frank for right (sorry Cakes, are you up for left?). Oh and Guts meet Misters Palmer, Mcnally and Cuellar. (Now the thread will get silly.)

oops,,,genetic

We'll sign a couple pitchers and save $200MM.

What if we sign Mark Teixeira and go 75-87 next year?

Yeah, that's been a proven way to win - overpaying for FA pitching. Oh wait, we won't spend that kinda money on a legit pitcher. We'd rather wait until all the guys that can make an impact get signed by other teams that WANT to win ... And then we end up with Steve Trachsel.

Point is, I've been a fan whose gone to a dozen+ games a year for the past 17 years. If they don't pony up for Tex, I'm now done. Much like a lot of fans have done & WNST has been saying for years, I'm giving up.

Tex isn't just a player. It's a way of thinking. Yeah, you get a 30/.300 guy, a Gold Glove defensive 1B. But, you also get a legitimate franchise.

Imagine going to work everyday and your peers saying "you suck" to you every day for 10+ years, and doing nothing about it. That's the Orioles, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm personally done. I've dedicated myself for years and I'm tired of getting nothing back.

Ladies and gentlemen, if we don't get Tex, we are no different than the Pirates or Royals. Think about it. A perennial losing team that doesn't stand a chance of getting a FA.

Yeah' date=' that's been a proven way to win - overpaying for FA pitching. Oh wait, we won't spend that kinda money on a legit pitcher. We'd rather wait until all the guys that can make an impact get signed by other teams that WANT to win ... And then we end up with Steve Trachsel.

Point is, I've been a fan whose gone to a dozen+ games a year for the past 17 years. If they don't pony up for Tex, I'm now done. Much like a lot of fans have done & WNST has been saying for years, I'm giving up.

Tex isn't just a player. It's a way of thinking. Yeah, you get a 30/.300 guy, a Gold Glove defensive 1B. But, you also get a legitimate franchise.

Imagine going to work everyday and your peers saying "you suck" to you every day for 10+ years, and doing nothing about it. That's the Orioles, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm personally done. I've dedicated myself for years and I'm tired of getting nothing back.

Ladies and gentlemen, if we don't get Tex, we are no different than the Pirates or Royals. Think about it. A perennial losing team that doesn't stand a chance of getting a FA.[/quote']

Truer words have never been spoken. Rep to you.

Tex isn't just a player. It's a way of thinking. Yeah' date=' you get a 30/.300 guy, a Gold Glove defensive 1B. But, you also get a legitimate franchise.

Ladies and gentlemen, if we don't get Tex, we are no different than the Pirates or Royals. Think about it. A perennial losing team that doesn't stand a chance of getting a FA.[/quote']

Oh how soon we forget the very recent past when we suceeded in attracting FA. Unfortunately, I think we are too quick to forget that signing expensive FA was not (and is not now) the recipe for turning around the Orioles... Building a strong player development foundation is. Teix would definately help improve the team's W-L record in the short run but it is not he who is going to change the franchises fate. Whether we sign Teix or not, if we put a majority of the focus on player development we'll have a bright future, if not... it is hopeless.

Oh how soon we forget the very recent past when we suceeded in attracting FA. Unfortunately, I think we are too quick to forget that signing expensive FA was not (and is not now) the recipe for turning around the Orioles... Building a strong player development foundation is. Teix would definately help improve the team's W-L record in the short run but it is not he who is going to change the franchises fate. Whether we sign Teix or not, if we put a majority of the focus on player development we'll have a bright future, if not... it is hopeless.

Your're right. But the point is, we can do both. We can sign a cornerstone free agent like Teixeira, and develop core players from our minor league system at the same time. There's no reason that one can't complement the other. Tejada didn't help us win because we couldn't develop young pitchers to back up the offense. I believe that with guys like Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Patton, and Erbe coming up (not to mention guys like Olson and Penn who I haven't given up on, we are now in a much better position to capitalize on a free agent like Tex.

Come on, man... don't give rep to a guy that says he's "giving up" on the team. That's not a fan.

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with what the guy said. As a matter of fact I kind of agree with him. To me being a fan does not necessarily mean you look at the team through orange colored glasses all the time. This is a team that has been, well horrible for over a decade now. Don't get me wrong, there are some bright spots but the last 10 years have been abysmal. I just don't support the idea of other people defining what a "fan" is.

Archived