Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

It's fine if the total payroll is highe enough. We're at a huge disadvantage compared to our division mates and need to get the best bang for the buck as possible. Say it's 4 years from now and our players have developed and we have a strong core. Wieters, Jones, Arietta, and Markakis are going to be making a lot of money either through an extension or hefty arbitration figures... Can we handle all of that and Teix and have the resources to go out and add a FA or two who might be the final pieces? If the payroll has been jacked up to support it, great, we have no major issues. I'm just skeptical that we will be able to go high enough. It just seems unlikely that we can do that even if we increase attendance.

That's an awful lot of skepticism to be against signing one of the best hitters in baseball, plus all of the geographic factors he brings.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I understand what you are saying, negotiations don't thrill me. Results do.

Whether that means we sign Tex or not, I think the jury is still out until/if we get some feedback on how the negotiations were handled.

I don't think we'll get much out of this front office about how they handle negotiations, other than some general AM media speak.

[/b]

That's an awful lot of skepticism to not sign one of the best hitters in baseball, plus all of the geographic factors he brings.

One of my problems with giving Teix 8, 9 or 10 years is that I don't think he'll be anywhere near one of the best hitters in baseball over the second half of his contract. I would probably be willing to throw an extra 30-40m at Teix if he was an ARodesque FA (FA at 25) than I am someone who starts his contract a year away from being 30.

While I understand what you are saying, negotiations don't thrill me. Results do.

Whether that means we sign Tex or not, I think the jury is still out until/if we get some feedback on how the negotiations were handled.

Good point, we don't know what is happening behind closed doors... I should have said we should all be thrilled that they are competently handling the media during the negotiations which is a monster improvement from previous regimes.

One of my problems with giving Teix 8, 9 or 10 years is that I don't think he'll be anywhere near one of the best hitters in baseball over the second half of his contract. I would probably be willing to throw an extra 30-40m at Teix if he was an ARodesque FA (FA at 25) than I am someone who starts his contract a year away from being 30.

You do realize that A-Rod is a once in a LIFETIME player, quite possibly the greatest hitter (aside from postseason play) of all time? Are you suggesting we should wait for the next A-Arod? It's going to be a long time waiting, then. Comparing anyone to A-Rod is unfair, and suggesting we should wait for the next A-Rod to hand out money is unreasonable.

The reason Tex is worth the money is because he would signal a change in the approach of the Orioles. We would send a message not only to other potential free agents (hopefully some pitchers among them) that we are spending to win and that we are willing to outbid the big teams to do it, but also to our own future free agents in Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis, who are important to sign. Those two current Orioles are worth building around because they are talented, have been with the organization their entire careers, and they are model members of the community. Signing Teixeira could very possibly be the first step in transforming this franchise into a winner.

If you don't want to sign Teixeira, who do you want to wait for? Who would be a better allocation of money? All the best young hitters these days are being locked into long term contracts by their teams - Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria and several others will not hit the market for a very, very long time. Tex represents one of the most durable, talented, and consistent premier hitters in the game. He is a legitimate middle of the lineup who can hit 30-40 home runs, drive in 120+ RBI, post a .900+ OPS, has averaged more than 150 games played during his career, AND brings gold glove-caliber defense to the infield. That's a rare commodity. Tex is close to worth what he will get, and we need to sign him.

So...after catching up and reading the last few pages I find out...It's doom and gloom around here? You're naming the Tex X thread already. And someone is defining fan-dom for everyone? Is that about right? :laughlol:

OK so I saw nothing new in the thread since I last left it, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Why can't we do both? Teixeira is going to take up a substantial percentage of the payroll that's true but he is worth it. IMO the key to the risk we're taking on Tex is the development of guys like Weiters, Arieta, Jones, Reimold et al. If they produce at the levels anticipated, we will be paying rock bottom rates for highly productive players for 4-6 years. What will it matter if we're "overspending on Teixeira if we under spending on all these others?

I agree. Even if we extend Markakis to the tune of $10 mil a year, Jones and Scott/Reimold will be a cheap outfield. BRob can't command too much considering what the Red Sox just signed their MVP for. And our young upcoming staff, as well as Wieters, will be cheap and locked down for a while. The money is there to spend. More than that, I'd really like to get the message out to the rest of MLB that we're not a joke; we've been a joke, but we could be in better shape than even the Rays in a few years. We could have that great blend of homegrown players AND free agents that, I think, is the best formula for competing in this league.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081221&content_id=3724726&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

An article on MLB.com that explains the Yankees position on the Tex sweeps. Nothing groundbreaking. It notes there have been internal discussions within the Yankees organization but no presentation has been made to Scott Boras.

Newsday reported that Boras called Cashman on Friday.

You do realize that A-Rod is a once in a LIFETIME player, quite possibly the greatest hitter (aside from postseason play) of all time? Are you suggesting we should wait for the next A-Arod? It's going to be a long time waiting, then. Comparing anyone to A-Rod is unfair, and suggesting we should wait for the next A-Rod to hand out money is unreasonable.

You are missing my point... I'm not saying a player of ARod's caliber but a younger FA whose peak years are still ahead of him and who has more prime years to come than Teix does. Too many potential decline years if we're going 8-10 years.

Per ESPN Bottom Line:

New York Daily News reports Manny Ramirez is expecting a 3 year deal from the New York Yankees.

Good and bad for us I suppose. Good because we probably don't need to worry about the Yankees, but bad because this might get the Red Sox to up their offer for Tex.

Archived