Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Per ESPN Bottom Line:

New York Daily News reports Manny Ramirez is expecting a 3 year deal from the New York Yankees.

Good and bad for us I suppose. Good because we probably don't need to worry about the Yankees, but bad because this might get the Red Sox to up their offer for Tex.

Expected to sign it? Or expected it to be offered to him?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28331493/

This article is about the Red Sox and Tex. I like the following part:

"The Teixeira negotiations have sent a message to everyone who wears a Red Sox uniform: We don't care who you are. You are expendable."

Yep hence my post earlier about the Sux chewing players up and spitting them out. There is no loyality in that organization. Once Tex is in decline, they'll be looking to ship him to anybody that will take him. Heck they might even put him on waivers like they did Manny hoping to have somebody pick up his contract.

If there's one thing the Orioles are it's loyal to their players, to a fault perhaps, but nevertheless you can't say the same about the Red Sox...

Yeah' date=' that's been a proven way to win - overpaying for FA pitching. Oh wait, we won't spend that kinda money on a legit pitcher. We'd rather wait until all the guys that can make an impact get signed by other teams that WANT to win ... And then we end up with Steve Trachsel.

Point is, I've been a fan whose gone to a dozen+ games a year for the past 17 years. If they don't pony up for Tex, I'm now done. Much like a lot of fans have done & WNST has been saying for years, I'm giving up.

Tex isn't just a player. It's a way of thinking. Yeah, you get a 30/.300 guy, a Gold Glove defensive 1B. But, you also get a legitimate franchise.

Imagine going to work everyday and your peers saying "you suck" to you every day for 10+ years, and doing nothing about it. That's the Orioles, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm personally done. I've dedicated myself for years and I'm tired of getting nothing back.

Ladies and gentlemen, if we don't get Tex, we are no different than the Pirates or Royals. Think about it. A perennial losing team that doesn't stand a chance of getting a FA.[/quote']

I still don't get how so many fans say they are done if we don't sign Teixeira. It seems that nearly everyone was on board with the rebuilding effort last year. Why would missing out on 1 free agent cause the entire rebuild to crumble? I can understand why it would be great to sign him, but my goodness; we can still win without him.

Yep hence my post earlier about the Sux chewing players up and spitting them out. There is no loyality in that organization. Once Tex is in decline, they'll be looking to ship him to anybody that will take him. Heck they might even put him on waivers like they did Manny hoping to have somebody pick up his contract.

Are you faulting an organization for attempting to trade a player who is in decline? I certainly don't. Were the Orioles disloyal for trading Miggy Tejada? Should the Orioles bring back Kevin Millar out of a sense of loyalty?

Yeah' date=' that's been a proven way to win - overpaying for FA pitching. Oh wait, we won't spend that kinda money on a legit pitcher. We'd rather wait until all the guys that can make an impact get signed by other teams that WANT to win ... And then we end up with Steve Trachsel.

Point is, I've been a fan whose gone to a dozen+ games a year for the past 17 years. If they don't pony up for Tex, I'm now done. Much like a lot of fans have done & WNST has been saying for years, I'm giving up.

Tex isn't just a player. It's a way of thinking. Yeah, you get a 30/.300 guy, a Gold Glove defensive 1B. But, you also get a legitimate franchise.

Imagine going to work everyday and your peers saying "you suck" to you every day for 10+ years, and doing nothing about it. That's the Orioles, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm personally done. I've dedicated myself for years and I'm tired of getting nothing back.

Ladies and gentlemen, if we don't get Tex, we are no different than the Pirates or Royals. Think about it. A perennial losing team that doesn't stand a chance of getting a FA.[/quote']

I find this very sad and probably unlikely. Why would you let a decision made by the front office in which you have no control over decide whether on not you root for "your" team?

I support the City on the front of the uniform but not necessarily the names on the back or the people making the decisions for my team.

I think you'll root for Baltimore regardless of what decision is made. These decisions are supposed to be what is best for this team and I trust the regime in the rebuilding phase regardless of the outcome.

I've been an O's fan for 37 seasons. Nothing could be done by anyone to make me not root for my team.

At least think about it?

Are you faulting an organization for attempting to trade a player who is in decline? I certainly don't. Were the Orioles disloyal for trading Miggy Tejada? Should the Orioles bring back Kevin Millar out of a sense of loyalty?

Miggy begged to get out for years. Good riddance. I hear Houston wanted to move him earlier in the offseason.

All we're saying is that, in the end, Boston would not be the best place for Tex to land.

What "history"?

The top offer we ended up having for Guerrero? The top offer we ended up having for Konerko?

The only one I can think of is Delgado, but that's still two-against-one.

That isn't entirely correct. The Angels just picked up Vlad's option that brought the contract to a total of 85 mil. The O's offered the most guaranteed money at 6/78. The Angels offered the most per year 5/70 (14 mil). So techinically, the O's offered the most in total guaranteed money, but the halos offered the most per season and ulitmately-- with them picking up the option ---the most total money for the duration of the contract when its all said and done.

I'm not trying to split hairs, it just always bothered me when people give the FO a pass for bungling those negotiations (don't even get me started about DLee)

The ol' "Vlad just wouldn't come here" argument always got under my skin.:angryfire: Can you imagine where we would/would've been be with Vlad and DLee as opposed to Sosa and Raffy!?!? The whole Vlad fiasco actually brought me to the world of baseball message boards. People always forget that at one point during the negotiations Vlad's agent made a 6/90 counter so he would've come here-- for 90 milliion :cussing:

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040112

&content_id=627420&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

I can already hear the excuses forming for when we fail to sign Tex.

I'm faulting the organization for signing an aging player to a LT deal and then 1 year later wanting to trade said player. If you didn't want him then you shouldn't have signed him LT. He turned down more money to play with Boston and now look at how he's repaid.

Just look at Arroyo, who signed at LT deal below market value as a sign of loyalty and then was shipped off for Pena 6 weeks later. Arroyo certainly wasn't declining then.

There is a consistant track record of the Sox FO making players want to sign with the Sox at a discount and trading them to suit their needs when they want an upgrade. And as this article shows, players are starting to take notice...

I'm faulting the organization for signing an aging player to a LT deal and then 1 year later wanting to trade said player. If you didn't want him then you shouldn't have signed him LT. He turned down more money to play with Boston and now look at how he's repaid.

Just look at Arroyo, who signed at LT deal below market value as a sign of loyalty and then was shipped off for Pena 6 weeks later. Arroyo certainly wasn't declining then.

There is a consistant track record of the Sox FO making players want to sign with the Sox at a discount and trading them to suit their needs when they want an upgrade. And as this article shows, players are starting to take notice...

That style has been pretty successful. I wish we had that style. Maybe we would have a world series in my lifetime. :rolleyes:

I still don't get how so many fans say they are done if we don't sign Teixeira. It seems that nearly everyone was on board with the rebuilding effort last year. Why would missing out on 1 free agent cause the entire rebuild to crumble? I can understand why it would be great to sign him, but my goodness; we can still win without him.

I agree 100%. Tex is a special player and more so for us due to the intagibles he brings and the shift in karma for the entire organization. But, from a strict baseball situation, we are ok at first base next year. I'm ok with Huff at 1B for one year. Let's face it 1B is not a premium position and we can work around it. If it wasn't Tex, then I would be against signing another major 1B free agent.

That style has been pretty successful. I wish we had that style. Maybe we would have a world series in my lifetime. :rolleyes:

It has but it is going to come back on them sooner than later as that article states.

Tex will only get the winning part of what he is looking for in Boston, but as far as security and a place for his family, he'll only find that in Baltimore or Washington, but the Orioles have a better organization and will win quicker than the Nationals will.

So the Orioles are the best option in terms of a compromise on what he is looking for, and it's why he is going to choose them.

Do you think this is a bad approach towards the ultimate goal of consistently winning? If so, why?

It has but it is going to come back on them sooner than later as that article states.

Tex will only get the winning part of what he is looking for in Boston, but as far as security and a place for his family, he'll only find that in Baltimore or Washington, but the Orioles have a better organization and will win quicker than the Nationals will.

So the Orioles are the best option in terms of a compromise on what he is looking for, and it's why he is going to choose them.

I dont think that is true at all. They play in the National League and not the AL East. We are a clear worst team in the division. The only team we will be overtaking anytime soon is Toronto. We need reallignment. The best three teams in the AL in terms of prospects/resources. or a combination of both are in front of us. THe Nats dont have to say the same thing. Plus they have Daniel Cabrera now!!!! :laughlol:

I'm not trying to split hairs, it just always bothered me when people give the FO a pass for bungling those negotiations (don't even get me started about DLee)

Yeah the Derek Lee thing bothers me more than the Guerrero deal.

On the other hand the O's front office is going to do what they want to do reguardless of what we think. If one thing they have proven over the years it is this point.

Archived