Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7/140 is not the Orioles final offer. MacPhail said there was flexibility in their offer, I'm willing to take what he says at face value. It was a good starting point, and truth be told, unless we actually land Tex, you won't ever know what the final Oriole bid was anyway, so it's a moot point to speculate about whether we made a great bid that was unfortunately turned down or whether we stuck to the original bid. You might as well not get your knickers in a bunch about it, for all the good it's going to do.

Let's keep the offer, unless we need to change it.

If the Yankees do get Manny, that's got to put them further away from Tex. From mlbtraderumors.com:

MONDAY, 8:27am: MLB.com's Bryan Hoch asked Yankees GM Brian Cashman about this report. Cashman responded: "Not true."

SUNDAY, 10:53pm: According to a report in the Dominican newspaper Impacto Deportivo, the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75MM deal. The report says negotiations are advanced and an announcement would take place Monday or Tuesday. If true, this would be an incredible scoop. However, there is reason for skepticism. The money and timing just don't seem right.

A look at Impacto Deportivo's recent history:

* 11/24/08: Reported the Braves as the mystery team in on Rafael Furcal, offering four years and $52MM. The offer was inaccurate, but they did nail the mystery team.

* 11/12/08: Correctly scooped the Damaso Marte signing.

* 2/21/08: Incorrectly indicated the White Sox reached an agreement with Bartolo Colon. Also incorrect on a similar rumor involving the Royals.

* 1/21/08: Correctly scooped the Octavio Dotel signing.

* 11/18/07: Correctly scooped the Luis Castillo signing.

They are saying Red Sox...blah blah blah Red Sox...Blah Blah blah... Red Sox. Rather depressing...they also brought up the Chris Smith Draft pick...that one hurt!

Why did we ever pick that guy? :ohlord:

(maybe we thought Cumberland university was close to baltimore:rolleyes: )

Relax! If Tex didn't want to be an Oriole, Boras would have told the O's to go shove their offer (which there is NO way I believe is only at $140).

Actually Boras would probably know that we're going to try to blow everyone away, since we really want and need Tex, and is using that to get the most money he can from the Sox.

I dont mean he is doing that, but you never know what Boras is doing.

In all seriousness. They spoke about it earlier as if the Red Sox have it in the bag and it's just a matter of time. They say the O's or Nats would have to severely over bid to land Tex. Same old same old, just a different day. Media loves Boston, no one loves Baltimore except for us OHer's.

In all seriousness. They spoke about it earlier as if the Red Sox have it in the bag and it's just a matter of time. They say the O's or Nats would have to severely over bid to land Tex. Same old same old, just a different day. Media loves Boston, no one loves Baltimore except for us OHer's.

I completely expect that from anyone in the media that isn't local, and even half the local media I expect it from.

Whatever happens, lots of fans are going to pepper Scott Boras with hate mail because he is likely going to be painted as the bad guy in this scenario.

I was going to say SSDD but you said it anyway. I would love it if Tex did sign with the O's to show the media that even sometimes a team not called the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, etc, can make a big signing.

This business about Tex "eliminating teams" is likely a Boras tactic to get someone off their duff and increase their offer or else possibly be eliminated.

Do you all really think that Tex is going to tell Boston: "You're eliminated," yet then turn down some obsene offer from the Sox once they've been "eliminated?"

All that's going on right now is Boras trying to pull strings to get the auction going. It hasn't gone the way they planned, so we stay in a stalemate.

Its not Tex eliminating teams, its teams dropping out. Big difference there. Either way, we should be getting down to the nitty gritty.

Archived