If the Os were to be buyers…

Sports Guy

Outside of Adley and Rodriguez there's really no one that shouldn't be available in the right scenario. 

There's a perception that this team is at least competitive, but I don't think it is. Depending on what happens tonight they're on a pace for 66-69 wins. Now, that's slightly better than previous seasons but they're still a long way off of the pace of being competitive.

All options to improve the team should be on the table. I've said it before but I don't believe there's money sitting around waiting for the switch moment. I was digging around yesterday trying to get info on a couple of MiL players that have yet to play and I found an article from last year about the team wanting to defer money to some arb guys...that doesn't exude confidence in ownership.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Outside of Adley and Rodriguez there's really no one that shouldn't be available in the right scenario. 

There's a perception that this team is at least competitive, but I don't think it is. Depending on what happens tonight they're on a pace for 66-69 wins. Now, that's slightly better than previous seasons but they're still a long way off of the pace of being competitive.

All options to improve the team should be on the table. I've said it before but I don't believe there's money sitting around waiting for the switch moment. I was digging around yesterday trying to get info on a couple of MiL players that have yet to play and I found an article from last year about the team wanting to defer money to some arb guys...that doesn't exude confidence in ownership.

The above is true...yet misses the mark on one point.  The reason, is that slightly better as noted above correctly points out that it is still a long way from being competitive.  And yet it really would not be a slight improvement.  IF the O's finished at 67 wins, it would be a 15 game improvement.  That isn't slight.  The reality is that 66-69 wins would be a nice step in the right direction.  

More importantly, that pace has been largely driven by the bull pen.  Which could easily fray and plunge us back to completely being uncompetitive.  If the pace holds I will be impressed.

But yes, the only people that should be untouchable today are AR and GR.

19 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The above is true...yet misses the mark on one point.  The reason, is that slightly better as noted above correctly points out that it is still a long way from being competitive.  And yet it really would not be a slight improvement.  IF the O's finished at 67 wins, it would be a 15 game improvement.  That isn't slight.  The reality is that 66-69 wins would be a nice step in the right direction.  

More importantly, that pace has been largely driven by the bull pen.  Which could easily fray and plunge us back to completely being uncompetitive.  If the pace holds I will be impressed.

But yes, the only people that should be untouchable today are AR and GR.

Bullpens are a fickle thing. 

The 66-69 win pace is sitting on a precarious ledge. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Bullpens are a fickle thing. 

The 66-69 win pace is sitting on a precarious ledge. 

I don’t see how the pitching holds up with no reinforcements. GR is out. Hall is on an IP limit. We’ll probably trade Lyles. Wells is on an IP limit. Baumann and Kremer????  The cupboard is bare. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t see how the pitching holds up with no reinforcements. GR is out. Hall is on an IP limit. We’ll probably trade Lyles. Wells is on an IP limit. Baumann and Kremer????  The cupboard is bare. 

Honestly, I think they keep Lyle's simply because they need to get to the end of the season somehow. There's really no pitching, at least starters to call up for help. GR really hurts.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So the solution on here, thus far, is to just wait out all of our prospects and wait for some to succeed or fail and then make trades?  

Not to derail the premise of the thread, but the Orioles should SELL this season and BUY in the offseason. For instance:

With Girardi's firing and PHI eager to salvage the season, I think you try to move Mullins/Hays + Jorge/Akin to PHI for Abel + Painter.

Obviously, you try to trade Mancini/Santander this deadline as well.

Then, come offseason, you try to sign ONE of:

Correa/Turner/Verlander/DeGrom

Any 2024 rotation plan featuring GrayRod + Abel + Hall + Bradish/Wells/Zimmermann/Means/Painter is pretty solid. Then, if you sign either Verlander or deGrom, you can package 2 of those guys + a combo of Cowser/Mayo/Westburg/Norby/Prieto/etc. For your SS with Henderson taking 3B in this scenario. 

If you sign either Correa or Turner, then you do the same thing for your TOR SP with Henderson assuming 3B again. 

Definitely should try to take advantage of Phillies closing window NOW IMO. They have 4 DHs and need a fleetfooted CF that adds to their overrated lineup immediately. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

Not to derail the premise of the thread, but the Orioles should SELL this season and BUY in the offseason. For instance:

With Girardi's firing and PHI eager to salvage the season, I think you try to move Mullins/Hays + Jorge/Akin to PHI for Abel + Painter.

Any 2024 rotation plan featuring GrayRod + Abel + Hall + Bradish/Wells/Zimmermann/Means/Painter is pretty solid. Then, if you sign either Verlander or deGrom, you can package 2 of those guys + a combo of Cowser/Mayo/Westburg/Norby/Prieto/etc. For your SS with Henderson taking 3B in this scenario. 

If you sign either Correa or Turner, then you do the same thing for your TOR SP with Henderson assuming 3B again. 

Definitely should try to take advantage of Phillies closing window NOW IMO. They have 4 DHs and need a fleetfooted CF that adds to their overrated lineup immediately. 

You should always be in buying mode, regardless of the standings, if there is a player(s) out there that fit into your long term plans.  There is no reason to wait on those guys.

3 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

Or they are going to have Harper get surgery and pack it in for the season.

Could go either way.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You should always be in buying mode, regardless of the standings, if there is a player(s) out there that fit into your long term plans.  There is no reason to wait on those guys.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure it makes sense to start trading our "surplus" until we get another Vet SP or SS/3B first. Free agency helps with this.

Signing and then trading could artificially decrease the value of our prospects in any trade thereafter potentially, however.

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

…which of the top guys would you be ok to trade?  Or, in other words, who do you have to keep.

And I know this depends on the return but I think it’s fair to assume that if buy, it’s only going to be for a long term piece.

You and I have agreed on this before, but they should be buyers and sellers.  Make trades that make sense for the team, regardless of whether it is buying or selling.  It's hard to say who I would hold onto versus keep (probably holding onto Adley, Grayson, and those types) but if a team really covets a player and you can get a great return, you do it.  Buy and sell .

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

The O's compete night in and out.  They have no chance of getting in the playoffs, even as the last wildcard.  I think 70-75 wins is possible if the starting rotation somehow comes together.  The bats that haven't hit, like Mullins and Adley wake up and the bullpen continues to be good.  It's a bit of a long shot, but possible. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's compete night in and out.  They have no chance of getting in the playoffs, even as the last wildcard.  I think 70-75 wins is possible if the starting rotation somehow comes together.  The bats that haven't hit, like Mullins and Adley wake up and the bullpen continues to be good.  It's a bit of a long shot, but possible. 

1-2 injuries to the rotations and this is a train wreck. Baumann, Lowther, and Kremer would be forced into action.