Friday, June 10: Orioles at Royals

SteveA

It's hard to keep watching this, so while listening I thought I'd make a little status report on the 2022 Orioles as they make their way through year 4 of the rebuild.

• No effective starting pitchers. One, maybe two, who can be depended on to go 5 innings plus some of the time but will give up a bunch of runs in the process. 
  • A decent bullpen that's bound to wear out and either decline or need rest/replacement by July or August, and whose best performers may be traded before the deadline.
  • Two or three good hitters (one in his walk year), a few others who are  of major league quality, and the rest . . .
  • A real good defensive outfield.
  • A poor hitting and not-very-good fielding (except for Mateo) infield, putting aside 1B.
  • The team's most ballyhooed rookie ever OPSing .409, and not looking good doing it.
  • No guys in the system ready to be promoted to the Orioles right now, according to the G.M.
  • The possibility that some of the limited existing talent will be traded before the deadline.
  • A G.M. who  admits he doesn't care much how the team does this season.
  • A manager who appears to have no authority about making roster changes.
  • An owner who is said to be, and to have been for some time, mentally incompetent.
  • A CEO who, it's clear to me, is using the team as a cash cow that he'll be unloading at whatever he deems to be the right time, and who cares about squeezing down costs and boosting profits, and keeping those costs low and profits high -- and we're told his personal power (just like his pop, but far more on the cheap).
  • Management by two brothers who may one-up his father's accomplishment of making the team Baseball's Laughingstock by turning it into Baseball's Embarrassment or Baseball's Shame. (Take your pick.)

Things could be better.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

It's hard to keep watching this, so while listening I thought I'd make a little status report on the 2022 Orioles as they make their way through year 4 of the rebuild.

• No effective starting pitchers. One, maybe two, who can be depended on to go 5 innings plus some of the time but will give up a bunch of runs in the process. 
  • A decent bullpen that's bound to wear out and either decline or need rest/replacement by July or August, and whose best performers may be traded before the deadline.
  • Two or three good hitters (one in his walk year), a few others who are  of major league quality, and the rest . . .
  • A poor hitting and not-very-good fielding (except for Mateo) infield, putting aside 1B.
  • The team's most ballyhooed rookie ever OPSing .409, and not looking good doing it.
  • No guys in the system ready to be promoted to the Orioles right now, according to the G.M.
  • The possibility that some of the limited existing talent will be traded before the deadline.
  • An owner who is said to be, and to have been for some time, mentally incompetent.
  • A CEO who, it's clear to me, is using the team as a cash cow that he'll be unloading at whatever he deems to be the right time, and who cares about squeezing down costs and boosting profits, and keeping those costs low and profits high -- and we're told his personal power (just like his pop, but far more on the cheap).
  • Management by two brothers who may one-up his father's accomplishment of making the team Baseball's Laughingstock by turning it into Baseball's Embarrassment or Baseball's Shame. (Take your pick.)

Things could be better.

Man and I thought the 8-0 score was depressing. 

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Things could be better.

I think that it's been a pretty solid looking 409 OPS. 

Other than that, I can't disagree with much.