Monday June 13: Orioles and Blue Jays meet for the first time in 2022

SteveA

Gametime:  7:07 pm

Weather:  66 degrees, 0% precip so I assume the dome will be open?

Roster Moves Keegan Akin and Anthony Santander placed on the restricted list;  Kyle Stowers and Rico Garcia up from Norfolk for the series.   They are placed on the 40 man roster for the series (with Akin and Santander being temporarily removed) and can be removed from the 40 man roster without any waivers or penalty after the series is over.

MatchupKyle Bradish (R) vs Alek Manoah (R)

Lineups

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Trey Mancini (R) DH
3. Austin Hays (R) RF
4. Rougned Odor (L) 2B
5. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
6. Adley Rutschman (S) C
7. Tyler Nevin (R) 3B
8. Kyle Stowers (L) LF
9. Jorge Mateo (R) SS

1. George Springer (R) CF
2. Bo Bichette (R) SS
3. Vladimir Guerrero (R) 1B
4. Alejandro Kirk (R) C
5. Teoscar Hernandez (R) RF
6. Santiago Espinal (R) 3B
7. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (R) DH
8. Raimel Tapia (L) LF
9. Cavan Biggio (L) 2B

Orioles Bench
Robinson Chirinos (R)
Richie Martin (R)
Ryan McKenna (R)

Bullpen Availability

Available
Rico Garcia  2.0 IP, 21p last Wednesday for Norfolk
Logan Gillaspie  1.0 IP, 13p Thursday

Jorge Lopez 1.0 IP, 11p Saturday; 1.0 IP, 10p Friday
Nick Vespi  1.1 IP, 23p Thursday
Austin Voth  1.1 IP, 22p Friday

Probably Available
Bryan Baker 0.0 IP, 17p yesterday;  0.2 IP, 11p Thursday 

Dillon Tate 1.0 IP, 22p Saturday 1.0 IP, 20p Friday

Maybe Available
Felix Bautista  0.2 IP, 17p yesterday;  0.2 IP, 12p Saturday

Probably Not Available
Cionel Perez (L) 1.0 IP, 23p yesterday;  0.1 IP, 4p Saturday

Game Notes

• This is the first time all year the Orioles fielded a lineup with 6 homegrown players in it.  Last year we did it several times, usually when at least one of (Sisco catching / Wilkerson starting in the infield) took place, and was accompanied by 5 of (Mullins / Hays / Mountcastle / McKenna / Mancini / Mullins) covering the OF, 1B, and DH.   I believe at least once we had 7 homegrown players as both Sisco and Wilkerson started and 5 of those guys were in the lineup.
  • This is the Orioles first meeting with the Blue Jays this year.  We were 5-14 against them last year.
  • The Orioles faced Manoah 3 times last year.  Toronto won 2 of the 3 games.  The most memorable was when we hit 4 HRs against him and he retaliated by throwing intentionally at Maikel Franco.  Orioles took a 7-4 lead into the 9th and Paul Fry and Tyler Wells gave up 6 runs and we lost 10-7, possibly the most painful defeat of 2021.
  • Rougned Odor is batting cleanup tonight, the highest he has hit in the lineup all year.   Perhaps because Manoah has allowed a .731 OPS to LH hitters and .451 OPS to RH hitters.
  • The Blue Jays were 17-16 on May 13.   Since then they have gone 18-8.
  • The Blue Jays have 7 RH hitters in the lineup vs the righthanded Bradish, in the top 7 spots in the order!   Very unusual.  In Bradish's very short MLB career, he has allowed 1.158 OPS to RH batters and a .615 OPS to LH batters, an extremely unusual reverse split.  His minor league numbers this year also show an extreme reverse split.   However in 2019 and 2021, in the minors, his OPS vs RH and vs LH were extremely balanced.  But obviously Blue Jay manager Charlie Montoyo has seen the 2022 data as he has stacked the RH hitters in the lineup.
  • Thanks 1

I went to the Brewers/Nationals game Saturday afternoon, a few things I'll mention:

• I saw Juan Soto, Nelson Cruz, and Josh Bell hit back to back to back home runs, and saw the Brewers, who are slumping badly of late, get beat.
  • There was a fan not far from me dressed as Captain Obvious from the commercials, beard and all.   He had a lot of signs (not hand printed, but professionally printed) that he would hold up.   When a Nat hit a HR, he held up a sign to the appropriate outfielder that said "That ball went over your head".   He also had a sign that said "At least I'm not an Orioles fan".
  • I saw Teddy win the President's race for the first time all season.   The other 3 presidents all took mysterious falls at one point or another in the race.   Jefferson hit the ground face first and had a big dirt stain on his face for the rest of the game.
  • The giveaway was a Josh Bell Incredible Hulk based bobblehead as it was Marvel Comics Day.   I was not one of the first 15,000 fans because I spent the hours before the game at Walter's watching the Virginia Tech baseball game, which ended at about 3:58.  Walters is just across the street from Nats Park so I didn't miss the first pitch, but I was too late to get  a bobblehead.   Walter's, named after great Senator pitcher Walter Johnson, has a great craft beer selection.   The taps are along the wall and you pour your own beer, you stick a card in a slot that keeps track of how many ounces you pour and charges you by the ounce.   Not cheap, I will say, but to be expected in downtown DC and still cheaper than ballpark beer.  Also pretty good food.   
  • There is a tremendous pigeon infestation at Nats Park.   They are obviously trying to do something about it as they have hundreds little porcupine spikes on a lot of the support beams to keep them off.   But they still find places to perch.   And one of the little bastards was perched on one of those metal tubes that carries wires to speakers or electrical equpment above my head.   We were watching a few innings from one of the stand up bars in the concourse behind what would be 3B/LF lower box seats.   And the damn bird pooped on my head.   I was wearing a hat that had a Nats logo in Virginia Tech maroon and orange colors from a giveaway at a Virginia Tech night at the park several years ago.   That hat has already been laundered since Saturday.   The Nats sent me a fan survey yesterday about  my game experience and needless to say the pigeon incident was a big part of my feedback.
  • Maikel Franco is the Nats' starting third baseman and is having a much better season than he did for us last year before we released him.   He's holding the position down fairly well for them.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, justD said:

Today is Frobby's birthday.  Hope we get him a win! 

(Made a post in the Hangout Community forum but I found out on Tony's birthday that no one goes there anymore, so mentioning it here too!)

The Orioles have not won on Frobby's birthday since 2015.   They are 0-4 since then, with two years where they did not play on the date.

But hey, the Orioles have never won a game on my birthday so Frobby is still better off than  me.   However, pitchers and catchers have occasionally reported on my birthday, which is nice.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The Blue Jays have 7 RH hitters in the lineup vs the righthanded Bradish, in the top 7 spots in the order!   Very unusual.

This is just who these Blue Jays are.   And we think we have issues with left-handed balance.

They are also kind of proof that just plain good hitters can do the job.    MLB just had a Last 17 games graphic, 1st in MLB in runs, hitting .300 and OPS'ing .900 as a team.    Good luck Orioles pitchers! 

I hope cleanup Rougie runs into one though!

Catchers wise, we'll also see Gabriel Moreno this series, who somehow managed to earn his MLB debut at age 22, and Alejandro Kirk tonight, who debuted in covid 2020 at the age of 21.