Bullpen has been excellent.

DocJJ

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

First in my heart but not stats:  Gregg Olson and whoever else they cobbled together between '89-93.  The second/third guys were a mixed bag from Williamson, Frohwirth, Flanagan, Mills, Poole...  But Olson and his curve was must-watch TV in those days.

They used to call Olson’s curve the “Golden Hammer.”   You know a pitch is good when it has its own name.  The only Oriole I’ve seen who could come close to matching it was Erik Bedard.   Olson still holds the Orioles’ record for career saves at 160, all before his 27th birthday.   Definitely one of my favorites.  

7 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I hope they don’t but assume they will. 

They won’t. He’s cheap as dirt and they won’t get much in return. Look at trades like the Britton deal. You rarely get a worthwhile talent return. Dillon Tate is 28 and has been worth about two WAR in his career. Lopez would return less and he’s not making enough money to get a meaningful salary saving. There’s a very high probability Lopez is on the team next year. And rightfully so…it’s time to win some games. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, yark14 said:

And with the exception of Lopez and Bautista, none of them have overpowering stuff.  They pitch into a lot of double plays and clutch flyouts.  Nothing wrong with that at all, as the most important key to success is not allowing hard hit balls.

Any guesses on Bautista’s actual size.  He’s listed at 6’5 190.  Which is hilarious.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lopez was a great story for the first couple of months, but he's blown two saves in a row, his pitches don't seem to be having the same bite on them they had earlier in the season, and we've lost 2 games in a row that we should have won.  I hope he's not hurting his trade value too much.

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Lopez was a great story for the first couple of months, but he's blown two saves in a row, his pitches don't seem to be having the same bite on them they had earlier in the season, and we've lost 2 games in a row that we should have won.  I hope he's not hurting his trade value too much.

Just some bad luck. He’s still throwing 99 mph sinkers. It’s hard to hold a team down all game. We need to put up more than three runs some nights. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

It’s 2 games. Twins def have his number. Did you not think he would ever face adversity? 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just some bad luck. He’s still throwing 99 mph sinkers. It’s hard to hold a team down all game. We need to put up more than three runs some nights. 

Sure looks more than just 'bad luck'.  Looks like he's throwing some meatballs that are getting crushed.  As I said, his ball doesn't seem to be breaking with the same bite.  He faced 5 batters, giving up 4 hits.  Yeah, one was a broken bat single that could be called bad luck.  The rest just were good hits against pitches that didn't seem to be very good.  We know no pitcher is perfect all season.  I get that.  But the past 2 games are certainly a concern.  

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Sure looks more than just 'bad luck'.  Looks like he's throwing some meatballs that are getting crushed.  As I said, his ball doesn't seem to be breaking with the same bite.  He faced 5 batters, giving up 4 hits.  Yeah, one was a broken bat single that could be called bad luck.  The rest just were good hits against pitches that didn't seem to be very good.  We know no pitcher is perfect all season.  I get that.  But the past 2 games are certainly a concern.  

Yeah last night didn't bother me as much.  He gave up a single to the major league batting average leader and a homer to a guy who would be in the top 5 of the MVP race every year if he could ever stay healthy all season.  These things are going to happen.

Today he was hit around by lesser players. 

21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah last night didn't bother me as much.  He gave up a single to the major league batting average leader and a homer to a guy who would be in the top 5 of the MVP race every year if he could ever stay healthy all season.  These things are going to happen.

Today he was hit around by lesser players. 

3rd game in 4 nights. I don’t know why Hyde used him in the getaway game in Seattle.